MVC Games Week 4 2023-24

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: MVC Games Week 4 2023-24

Postby TheDrake » December 2nd, 2023, 9:33 am

tribecalledquest wrote:
TheDrake wrote:
BEARZ77 wrote:I would argue your stats are a prime example of opportunity as much as solely superiority. When you get 85% of the at large bids and you generally garner 100% of the top 16 seeds , I would expect the P-5 to fully dominate the FF picture. And your perspective makes sense in the normal business world of cut throat economics and capitalism, but it flies directly in the face of the expressed mission, goal and principles of the NCAA who supposedly support providing fair and equitable opportunities for all members and student athletes.I didn't read anything about rewarding our most affluent and highest earning Universities with advantages that ensure protecting their status because they make us more money.

He didn’t think of that. Not to mention that mid-majors are always underseeded and given more difficult paths through the tournament. This guy isn’t going to change his mind though. Pretty sure he’s actually an Illini fan or something with Bradley as a backup interest. (Cue rant about unwavering loyalty to the braves)

So to be a fan of a team you have to leave all logic and rational thinking at the door?

No one has answered my question though. If we want the P5 teams to not be so greedy then are we willing to cut our budgets and share our money with the Mississippi Valley State’s of the world? Should it be 100% equal for all 350+ NCAA D1 teams?

Saying that the MVC deserves to continue playing in the NCAA tournament and should even get two entries ahead of a 9th place, sub-500 team from the Big 10 is not the same thing as calling for a complete redistribution of financial resources across the college landscape. Thats called false equivalence.
TheDrake
MVC starter
MVC starter

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby tribecalledquest » December 2nd, 2023, 9:49 am

No one has said the MVC should not be allowed to play in the NCAA Tournament. Your argument about who gets in as at large picks is something to take up with the committee each year. It’s not an NCAA institution issue.

Every single school schedules and does what’s best for them. P5’s aren’t going to adjust their scheduling just to give more opportunities to non P5 teams. It’s why for MVC teams it all comes down to non conference scheduling and winning those games.

In recent years the MVC teams have done a very poor job of that and the talent on the floor hasn’t been good enough either. This season looks to be a major improvement in the quality of the league. Many MVC schools used the transfer portal to their advantage.
tribecalledquest
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby BEARZ77 » December 2nd, 2023, 9:56 am

All that to the side, today should be an exciting day for MVC basketball. While I hate the early season conference games, still there will be some interesting matchups today . UNI at UE both trying to avoid 0-2. Bradley having to do similar playing a really good Indiana St team in Peoria . Clash of unbeatens in Murray St and Illinois St and MO State at Drake. Belmont in good position to start 2-0 , but maybe Valpo surprises. And do SIU and UIC only play 1 early game and if so why.
The Bear is the largest carnivore on the North American continent; beware the Bear!
BEARZ77
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby TylerDurden » December 2nd, 2023, 10:02 am

Back to basketball:

There are two really good league games today, as what looks like the top four teams go head-to-head.

Indiana State at Bradley could put the Braves at 0-2 in the league after the 6-0 start.

Missouri State travels to Drake in a test for both teams. Missouri State fans should be excited if they get that one.

Road wins in either of those to would be huge for the regular season title race.

Southern Illinois has a chance for a decent nonconference win vs. SLU in Carbondale.

UNI at Evansville is a rebound game for someone.

Valpo at Belmont has all the makings of blowout.
TylerDurden
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Ali » December 2nd, 2023, 10:16 am

Sycs - Braves is a huge game.
Ali
All MVC
All MVC

Postby TheDrake » December 2nd, 2023, 10:17 am

tribecalledquest wrote:No one has said the MVC should not be allowed to play in the NCAA Tournament. Your argument about who gets in as at large picks is something to take up with the committee each year. It’s not an NCAA institution issue.

Every single school schedules and does what’s best for them. P5’s aren’t going to adjust their scheduling just to give more opportunities to non P5 teams. It’s why for MVC teams it all comes down to non conference scheduling and winning those games.

In recent years the MVC teams have done a very poor job of that and the talent on the floor hasn’t been good enough either. This season looks to be a major improvement in the quality of the league. Many MVC schools used the transfer portal to their advantage.

You literally said that MVC teams shouldn’t be competing for championships against Big 10 teams which is what triggered my response. That’s the last I’ll say. Get in the last word and go Illini.

In more relevant news, today will be interesting. Drake has a good record but has appeared underwhelming at times along the way. If the Bulldogs can limit Missouri State’s success from 3 I think they win. If not it could be a long afternoon.
TheDrake
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby tribecalledquest » December 2nd, 2023, 11:56 am

TheDrake wrote:
tribecalledquest wrote:No one has said the MVC should not be allowed to play in the NCAA Tournament. Your argument about who gets in as at large picks is something to take up with the committee each year. It’s not an NCAA institution issue.

You literally said that MVC teams shouldn’t be competing for championships against Big 10 teams which is what triggered my response. That’s the last I’ll say. Get in the last word and go Illini.

In more relevant news, today will be interesting. Drake has a good record but has appeared underwhelming at times along the way. If the Bulldogs can limit Missouri State’s success from 3 I think they win. If not it could be a long afternoon.

Thinking I'm an Illini fan might be the most off-base thing ever stated on this here board (my own posts included). :)

But, yes, good games for sure. I'm surprised the Drake/MSU line is so high. Up to 7.5 I think I saw. Bradley/Sycs will be interesting. Bradley has to have that game.
tribecalledquest
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby BEARZ77 » December 2nd, 2023, 12:04 pm

Missouri state still playing w/o 2 starters and only 1 actual guard available. I'm surprised the line isn't higher.
The Bear is the largest carnivore on the North American continent; beware the Bear!
BEARZ77
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby tribecalledquest » December 2nd, 2023, 1:44 pm

Indiana State is winning the league. They have the best roster by far. They are embarrassing Bradley in Peoria. It isn’t even close talent wise.
tribecalledquest
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby TylerDurden » December 2nd, 2023, 2:02 pm

Indiana State with 10 threes in the first half and are absolutely hammering Bradley.

Looks like no regular season repeat for the Braves. Trees are cooking.
TylerDurden
All MVC
All MVC

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball