MVC Games Week 5 2023-24

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: MVC Games Week 5 2023-24

Postby Birdfan2018 » December 6th, 2023, 9:27 am

BCPanther wrote:
Kyle_Saluki_17 wrote:
Drakey wrote:Did anybody watch the SIU debacle and the ridiculous lengths the officials went to in a desperate attempt to make SIU lose? I have never seen so many ridiculous calls, replays, eliminating baskets and other nonsense to try to make sure a team did not win. I can't believe that Mullins was able to control himself. Even the announcers were baffled.

That was the worst technical foul I’ve ever seen in my life. I’ll leave it at that. Complete crap.

Yeah, it turned full ref show in the last 90 seconds. Brutally bad.

I felt like I was watching the last seconds of the USA/Russia Gold Medal game.
Birdfan2018
MVC starter
MVC starter

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby siudawgs » December 6th, 2023, 9:39 am

It was a brutal ending with the officiating circus but a great win for Southern. Mullins has now taken down a power-6 opponent in each of the past four seasons, including back-to-back wins over Oklahoma State.

Mullins made a great move to put Xavier Johnson back in with two fouls and lots of time left in the first half, and I don't think they win if he had been more cautious about the foul situation. Johnson did well to avoid a third foul for an extended period.

On a related note, SIU's lack of depth at PG is a concern. Incarnate Word transfer Trey Miller has underwhelmed and his minutes have been cut. The other option, freshman Sheridan Sharp, is just now getting back from a foot injury, so we'll see if he gets a look or if they plan to redshirt him.
siudawgs
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Birdfan2018 » December 6th, 2023, 10:04 am

siudawgs wrote:It was a brutal ending with the officiating circus but a great win for Southern. Mullins has now taken down a power-6 opponent in each of the past four seasons, including back-to-back wins over Oklahoma State.

Mullins made a great move to put Xavier Johnson back in with two fouls and lots of time left in the first half, and I don't think they win if he had been more cautious about the foul situation. Johnson did well to avoid a third foul for an extended period.

On a related note, SIU's lack of depth at PG is a concern. Incarnate Word transfer Trey Miller has underwhelmed and his minutes have been cut. The other option, freshman Sheridan Sharp, is just now getting back from a foot injury, so we'll see if he gets a look or if they plan to redshirt him.

What was the call after the missed free-throw with 0.4 on the clock and they give OSU the ball out of bounds?
Birdfan2018
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby siudawgs » December 6th, 2023, 10:08 am

Birdfan2018 wrote:
siudawgs wrote:It was a brutal ending with the officiating circus but a great win for Southern. Mullins has now taken down a power-6 opponent in each of the past four seasons, including back-to-back wins over Oklahoma State.

What was the call after the missed free-throw with 0.4 on the clock and they give OSU the ball out of bounds?

Honestly not sure. I thought the free throw caught the rim. I think the refs were just trolling by that point. :x
siudawgs
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Drakey » December 6th, 2023, 10:16 am

The basket interference reversal five minutes after the call was the most ridiculous of them all. I went and read the rule and it was absolutely basket interference. The they go look a t replays for five minutes, which clearly showed it was interference, and reverse the call. I can't believe they are allowed to do that, but particularly when they are flat out wrong. You can't touch the rim when the ball is in the cylinder. Period. you can't make the rim move while the ball is in the cylinder. There is no review based on whether the ball was likely to go in or not.
Drakey
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Kyle_Saluki_17 » December 6th, 2023, 11:08 am

siudawgs wrote:
Birdfan2018 wrote:

Honestly not sure. I thought the free throw caught the rim. I think the refs were just trolling by that point. :x

Apparently the guy got a timeout called within .1 seconds of rebounding it. If that were possible, I don’t know why anyone would ever miss a free throw on purpose.
Kyle_Saluki_17
All MVC
All MVC

Postby tribecalledquest » December 6th, 2023, 11:39 am

Mullins ability to change and adapt this season has been really impressive. I'm not sure two years ago he puts Johnson back in the game then. The offense is much better. Good for him for making changes.
tribecalledquest
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby TylerDurden » December 6th, 2023, 11:42 am

Drakey wrote:Did anybody watch the SIU debacle and the ridiculous lengths the officials went to in a desperate attempt to make SIU lose? I have never seen so many ridiculous calls, replays, eliminating baskets and other nonsense to try to make sure a team did not win. I can't believe that Mullins was able to control himself. Even the announcers were baffled.

Yeah. That was "odd." SIU won that game at least three times.
TylerDurden
All MVC
All MVC

Postby PretzelDawg » December 6th, 2023, 12:06 pm

It was good to see the Salukis prevail after just awful officiating the past few minutes of the game. Xavier Johnson is a stud. I did NOT see this coming from him. Glad it has.

I believe with 0.5 seconds they were saying the clock didn't start on time. So, of course, they give OK State one more ridiculous chance. I could be wrong. That technical on celebrating the block of a 3-pointer is one of the all-time worst officiating calls I have ever seen.
PretzelDawg
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby TylerDurden » December 6th, 2023, 12:14 pm

Kyle_Saluki_17 wrote:Apparently the guy got a timeout called within .1 seconds of rebounding it. If that were possible, I don’t know why anyone would ever miss a free throw on purpose.

This was exactly what I said to my completely disinterested wife. How does a guy get a timeout in .1?

In fact and per the NCAA rule book that I just downloaded (https://www.ncaapublications.com/p-4684 ... -only.aspx) A minimum of .3 needed to come off:

RULE 5 / SCORING AND TIMING REGULATIONS
Section 10. Starting Game and Shot Clocks
Art. 1. After time has been out, the game clock shall be started when the official signals time in. When the official neglects to signal, the official timer shall be authorized to start the game clock unless an official specifically signals that time shall continue to be out.

Art. 2. The game clock shall be started when:
a. An inbounds player legally touches the ball after the throw-in has been released;
b. A tossed ball on a jump ball is legally touched;
c. The ball legally touches a player on the playing court when a free throw is not successful and is to remain live; and
d. During the last 59.9 seconds of any period or any extra period, when the ball is legally touched inbounds and an official immediately signals to stop the clock, a minimum of 3/10ths (.3) of a second must expire on the game clock.

I'm definitely not a referee, but the rule book seems pretty clear to me.

They also put at least a tenth or two too many back on the clock at the very end before SIU shot the free throws. The replay seemed to show .03 when the foul occurred, much less when the official signaled it, which is when the clock should stop.

These guys made a mess of the ending, for sure.

Credit to Mullins for not losing his sh*t
TylerDurden
All MVC
All MVC

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball