MVC Games Week 5 2023-24

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: MVC Games Week 5 2023-24

Postby VUGrad1314 » December 6th, 2023, 10:41 pm

MissouriValleyUnite wrote:That was a big night for the MVC, to follow up SIU’s big win last night.

A couple games Saturday are on tv.

Valpo/VT at 11am is on CW, which should air on WGN like ACC FB games in the fall.

Belmont/Middle Tennessee at 730pm is on CBSSN.

Drake Vs Nevada is a huge game and a big opportunity as well! Go Bulldogs! Keep it going MVC!
VUGrad1314
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby just ducky » December 7th, 2023, 8:21 am

VUGrad1314 wrote:Closing in on that #8 spot in the NET perhaps... if only Valpo wasn't such a boat anchor. I'm so sorry guys. Seeing us lose to teams like Central Michigan just hurts my soul. I do think it will eventually get better under Powell but it's going to be another long year in Valpo. Keep kicking butt the rest of you! Nice wins by everyone else! And a big shout out to the Salukis for their big win over OSU last night! That was wonderful to see!

That CMU game was a painfully difficult first 25 minutes of basketball to watch!

To shore up our defense coach Roger Powell substituted in an experienced senior letterman with a scrimmage mentality. He looked a little out of position but he successfully helped end the Central Michigan scoring run. His name is Sciarroni and he is a walk on from the football team. Small linebacker I think. VUGrad1314 can correct me if I am wrong. And no he is not a key part of the VU basketball turnaround plan! ;)
just ducky
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby Adunk33 » December 7th, 2023, 2:19 pm

siudawgs wrote:On a related note, SIU's lack of depth at PG is a concern. Incarnate Word transfer Trey Miller has underwhelmed and his minutes have been cut. The other option, freshman Sheridan Sharp, is just now getting back from a foot injury, so we'll see if he gets a look or if they plan to redshirt him.

The Redbirds have a pretty good point guard right now :twisted:
Adunk33
All MVC
All MVC

Postby BCPanther » December 7th, 2023, 4:27 pm

By far the best game UNI has played this year. We'll see if it leads anywhere.

Still a chance to salvage some of the non-con with Toledo, Prairie View (who is somehow 110 in the NET right now?) and Northern Illinois.
BCPanther
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Kyle_Saluki_17 » December 7th, 2023, 5:36 pm

Adunk33 wrote:
siudawgs wrote:On a related note, SIU's lack of depth at PG is a concern. Incarnate Word transfer Trey Miller has underwhelmed and his minutes have been cut. The other option, freshman Sheridan Sharp, is just now getting back from a foot injury, so we'll see if he gets a look or if they plan to redshirt him.

Haha our DEPTH is a concern. No question we have a better PG than ISU :lol:
Kyle_Saluki_17
All MVC
All MVC

Postby siudawgs » December 7th, 2023, 9:43 pm

Kyle_Saluki_17 wrote:
Adunk33 wrote:

Haha our DEPTH is a concern. No question we have a better PG than ISU :lol:

No doubt Banks would be a great backup to X, but he didn’t want to be a backup, hence the transfer. Now the way Johnson is scoring and the way Banks is playing, it might have worked well to play both a fair amount with Johnson off the ball, but that ship has obviously sailed.

Johnson vs. Banks should be entertaining at least twice this season.
siudawgs
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Adunk33 » December 8th, 2023, 11:52 am

siudawgs wrote:No doubt Banks would be a great backup to X, but he didn’t want to be a backup, hence the transfer. Now the way Johnson is scoring and the way Banks is playing, it might have worked well to play both a fair amount with Johnson off the ball, but that ship has obviously sailed.

I wasn't meaning that Banks is better than Johnson, just if you could've kept him, he would've added to your depth.

I will say to this point, Banks is exceeding expectations by a mile. My initial reaction was that he was being brought in to mentor our freshman PG, Wisconsin's Mr. Basketball, Johnny Kinziger. Which he is, and is seemingly doing a great job. But man, his impact has been beyond my wildest dreams. I had low expectations. He damn near singlehandedly won the game at SIU with 19 second half points and followed that up with a career-high 7 assists against Murray State. He did struggle a bit against NKU's athletic, long, active zone with 7 turns but over has had a great season. Good player and seems like a great kid.
Adunk33
All MVC
All MVC

Postby tribecalledquest » December 8th, 2023, 12:09 pm

Adunk33 wrote:
siudawgs wrote:No doubt Banks would be a great backup to X, but he didn’t want to be a backup, hence the transfer. Now the way Johnson is scoring and the way Banks is playing, it might have worked well to play both a fair amount with Johnson off the ball, but that ship has obviously sailed.

I wasn't meaning that Banks is better than Johnson, just if you could've kept him, he would've added to your depth.

I will say to this point, Banks is exceeding expectations by a mile. My initial reaction was that he was being brought in to mentor our freshman PG, Wisconsin's Mr. Basketball, Johnny Kinziger. Which he is, and is seemingly doing a great job. But man, his impact has been beyond my wildest dreams. I had low expectations. He damn near singlehandedly won the game at SIU with 19 second half points and followed that up with a career-high 7 assists against Murray State. He did struggle a bit against NKU's athletic, long, active zone with 7 turns but over has had a great season. Good player and seems like a great kid.

Obviously SUPER early in his career - but I wanted Bradley to get Ty Pence and he has looked completely overmatched at this level.
tribecalledquest
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Adunk33 » December 8th, 2023, 1:39 pm

tribecalledquest wrote:Obviously SUPER early in his career - but I wanted Bradley to get Ty Pence and he has looked completely overmatched at this level.

Pence has looked like a freshman so far, especially offensively. I get the sense that when he finally sees one go down, things will trend up for him. You don't score 2k points in HS and just forget how to shoot.

The last three games he has show massive strides defensively. He's an above average defender right now.

I think the biggest thing is how he's being used. Through the first month, it seems like they're prepping him to take Lewis' spot at the 4 next year. Having watched a lot of him in high school, at this level he should be a 3, unless they are intentionally playing small. The last couple games, he's been getting more opportunity to play outside-in and has gotten some better looks.

The other freshman, Kizinger is going to annoy the hell out of MVC teams. He's good, man. It's been a long time since the Birds have had a freshman ready and contributing from day 1.
Adunk33
All MVC
All MVC

Postby BCPanther » December 8th, 2023, 2:50 pm

Adunk33 wrote:
tribecalledquest wrote:Obviously SUPER early in his career - but I wanted Bradley to get Ty Pence and he has looked completely overmatched at this level.

Pence has looked like a freshman so far, especially offensively. I get the sense that when he finally sees one go down, things will trend up for him. You don't score 2k points in HS and just forget how to shoot.

The last three games he has show massive strides defensively. He's an above average defender right now.

I think the biggest thing is how he's being used. Through the first month, it seems like they're prepping him to take Lewis' spot at the 4 next year. Having watched a lot of him in high school, at this level he should be a 3, unless they are intentionally playing small. The last couple games, he's been getting more opportunity to play outside-in and has gotten some better looks.

The other freshman, Kizinger is going to annoy the hell out of MVC teams. He's good, man. It's been a long time since the Birds have had a freshman ready and contributing from day 1.

Kizinger and RJ Taylor are going to have some wars over the next 3 years and they're both going to seem like they play in the league forever and drive everybody crazy. Can't wait and I wish we weren't a single play this year.
BCPanther
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball