NET Rankings

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: NET Rankings

Postby BCPanther » December 18th, 2023, 10:25 am

Drakey wrote:I didn't realize until this year that a MAJOR factor in NET is how you perform against crappy teams. I think the P5 has figured this out and now play only each other or really bad teams and make sure they blow them out. Drake fell 19 slots by beating Grambling by 12. This should be a non-factor, but it is clearly very important in the NET right now, and from what I have seen more significant than beating teams with higher NET rankings. Probably makes it harder for mid-majors to schedule the worst teams as those games are all bough up by the P5. I can't believe they have made the victory margin over unimportant game as the primary factor. I know victory margin was NOT a factor at one point a few years ago. Coached can no longer afford to clear their bench in these games or work on various weak aspects of their games.

It's all by design. The P? are going to drive up the price of low majors so that we can't afford them anymore. Run up huge eFfIcIeNY numbers in a system that doesn't actually care if you win or lose as long as you're EfFiCiEnT so that all of their league games are Q1/2 and we'll just count the number of wins instead of looking at how many chances they had to get those wins.

UNI fell 8 spots after handily beating Alcorn yesterday, scoring 100 points and having an eFG% over 80. If that's not eFfICeNt, I don't know what is.
BCPanther
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby IllinoisState » December 18th, 2023, 11:00 am

Drakey wrote:I didn't realize until this year that a MAJOR factor in NET is how you perform against crappy teams. I think the P5 has figured this out and now play only each other or really bad teams and make sure they blow them out. Drake fell 19 slots by beating Grambling by 12. This should be a non-factor, but it is clearly very important in the NET right now, and from what I have seen more significant than beating teams with higher NET rankings. Probably makes it harder for mid-majors to schedule the worst teams as those games are all bough up by the P5. I can't believe they have made the victory margin over unimportant game as the primary factor. I know victory margin was NOT a factor at one point a few years ago. Coached can no longer afford to clear their bench in these games or work on various weak aspects of their games.

I thought scoring margin only mattered up to 10 points for NET?
IllinoisState
All MVC
All MVC

Postby GR4 » December 18th, 2023, 11:04 am

Scheduling focus for mid majors needs to be playing other mid majors and quit having so many buy games with crappy teams.
GR4
MVC Recruit
MVC Recruit

Postby MissouriValleyUnite » December 18th, 2023, 11:10 am

IllinoisState wrote:

They got rid of it after a year. No one knows what's specifically in NET but it's likely a cluster of pseudointellectual efficiency metrics.
MissouriValleyUnite
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Drakey » December 18th, 2023, 12:02 pm

From everything I have seen and read blowouts are a major positive factor under the current system.

If you want to see a good example look at Iowa State. Number 6 in the NET, with a 9-2 record. 0-2 v Quad 1, 0-0 v Quad 2, 4-0 v Quad 3 and 5-0 v Quad 4. They have beat two teams with winning records, both of whom are 6-5. The average NET of the teams they have beaten is 235. Does that resume sound like the 6th best in the country? They have climbed after every game, including their last two wins over Prairie View A and M and Florida A and M.

You need to play patsies and pour it on.
Drakey
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Kyle_Saluki_17 » December 18th, 2023, 2:14 pm

IllinoisState wrote:

Yes but it’s mostly efficiency numbers. They may not count that you won by 40, but if you win by 40, you’re offensive efficiency is wayyyy more efficient than the other teams offense (I.e. your defensive efficiency). They said they removed scoring margin, but it’s literally scoring margin out in another way.
Kyle_Saluki_17
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Drakey » December 18th, 2023, 2:52 pm

Why does offensive efficiency have anything to do with how good you are? You could be a bad or mediocre offensive team that plays stifling defense.
Drakey
All MVC
All MVC

Postby GR4 » December 18th, 2023, 6:43 pm

Appears the NCAA no longer promotes sportsmanship. Play cupcakes and pour it on, full court press until the end and improve your NET.
GR4
MVC Recruit
MVC Recruit

Postby Chuck A » December 22nd, 2023, 3:38 am

The Valley finally slips below The American and into 10th place in the NET rankings.
UIC Flames
MVC Member Since 2022
Chuck A
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby IllinoisState » December 22nd, 2023, 9:40 am

Chuck A wrote:The Valley finally slips below The American and into 10th place in the NET rankings.

I still see us at 9. https://www.warrennolan.com/basketball/ ... conference
IllinoisState
All MVC
All MVC

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball