MVC Games Week 10 2023-24

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: MVC Games Week 10 2023-24

Postby ValleyFAN » January 11th, 2024, 9:44 am

MissouriValleyUnite wrote:
BCPanther wrote:From the outside it feels like it's time to absolutely clean house in Springfield.

They have advantages that the rest of us would dream of in this league and they're just average in pretty much everything.

How many football and basketball hires does Moats get before somebody realizes that he might be the problem? There's not a chance I'd let him make my baseball hire and doing what he did to Dana last night is just not something you do as an AD.

Supposedly last night was a record-low attendance in JQH history. And considering they drew a packed house in the Hammons Student Center before then, I wouldn't be surprised if that was their lowest attendance in 30 years.

I was there last night and have been to nearly every home game for the past twenty years. The covid year was worse than last night, but ya, it was bad. And the fact that the team was getting blown out on its home court just a few minutes into the game was truly shocking.
ValleyFAN
MVC starter
MVC starter

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby BEARZ77 » January 11th, 2024, 10:28 am

BCPanther wrote:From the outside it feels like it's time to absolutely clean house in Springfield.

They have advantages that the rest of us would dream of in this league and they're just average in pretty much everything.

How many football and basketball hires does Moats get before somebody realizes that he might be the problem? There's not a chance I'd let him make my baseball hire and doing what he did to Dana last night is just not something you do as an AD.

While I appreciate outside insights and opinions, I'm not sure what "advantages" we have . There are things I think we do better than some, so I guess you perceive those as advantages, & they are once you consistently do them, but they're accomplishments not advantages. And we all know football and mbb dominate perceptions, but we're hardly just average at everything.
The Bear is the largest carnivore on the North American continent; beware the Bear!
BEARZ77
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby BCPanther » January 11th, 2024, 10:31 am

BEARZ77 wrote:

While I appreciate outside insights and opinions, I'm not sure what "advantages" we have . There are things I think we do better than some, so I guess you perceive those as advantages, & they are once you consistently do them, but they're accomplishments not advantages. And we all know football and mbb dominate perceptions, but we're hardly just average at everything.

The advantages I see from the outside are population, weather, wealth of the area, and facilities, fwiw.

Should be a hell of a lot easier to recruit to Springfield than Cedar Falls, Carbondale or Terre Haute.
BCPanther
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby TylerDurden » January 11th, 2024, 10:36 am

I think this is a far question RE: Moats. IIRC, he inherited Cuonzo. Nothing against any other sports, but MBB and FB are the hires you have to get right. And besides that, are really sure he led the WBB searches?

I don't follow FCS football, so I only notice when the playoff starts and Missouri State isn't in it.

Maybe he's the best fundraiser you ever saw, but I'd have to hear that from MSU fans. If you can raise money, you have a long leash.
TylerDurden
All MVC
All MVC

Postby BEARZ77 » January 11th, 2024, 11:06 am

TylerDurden wrote:I think this is a far question RE: Moats. IIRC, he inherited Cuonzo. Nothing against any other sports, but MBB and FB are the hires you have to get right. And besides that, are really sure he led the WBB searches?

I don't follow FCS football, so I only notice when the playoff starts and Missouri State isn't in it.

Maybe he's the best fundraiser you ever saw, but I'd have to hear that from MSU fans. If you can raise money, you have a long leash.

He and Smart have been joined at the hip, so there's that. He seems to have been a decent fundraiser as we've been able to move forward with a lot of infrastructure projects , although he has not been successful in securing the funding for an indoor football practice facility.

WBB hires are a different animal at MSU, a monkey could make a good hire given the level of the applicants.I mean not only is the job one of the best in MM basketball, but a proven stepping stone job to the P-5. Our last 4 coaches are as follows Coach Abe-HC @ Georgia, Milleson- AD @ Drury, Harper-HC @ Tennessee, Mox HC @ Virginia. And of course now Beth Cunningham. So yes, he's made good hires there, but not sure he gets that much credit.

I will say this to, the coaches I've spoken to over the years all seem to reflect a positive relationship with Moats, so I think he's probably ok to work under as a coach. i think if anything Bear fans would say too supportive in how slow he's been in a couple instances to make moves or firm statements about expectations.

To me this all goes to having an agenda in hiring instead of looking at reality. You have to place MBB as your priority in athletics at this level, and that means you have to hire accordingly. Ford is young, black, articulate, confident, can recruit etc, but he was under .500 as a college coach when we hired him and we were coming off a 7 year stretch where Lusk had drained every ounce of passion from the fan base. We needed a solid hire, but took a risk and it's bitten us in the butt.
The Bear is the largest carnivore on the North American continent; beware the Bear!
BEARZ77
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby BEARZ77 » January 11th, 2024, 11:24 am

BCPanther wrote:The advantages I see from the outside are population, weather, wealth of the area, and facilities, fwiw.
Should be a hell of a lot easier to recruit to Springfield than Cedar Falls, Carbondale or Terre Haute.

We have great facilities, but that's a choice each University makes, it becomes an advantage if you commit to it.I remember having that discussion with a WSU fan, explaining we're cheap on coaches but like to build stuff. Recruiting is a coach thing, no player comes to Mo State because of Bass Pro, the weather etc. And the lack of diversity in the community is certainly not an advantage in recruiting St Louis and KC and the like. We're middle of the pack in the MVC in funding MBB and FB , so no advantages there. Enrollment is certainly strong, but again, that's a thing the University works towards kinda like facilities. We have a board that's been historically over zealous regarding title 9 interpretations , not always a bad thing, but having one of the highest female to male ratios has impacted some decisions negatively, like coaching salaries.
BEARZ77
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby TylerDurden » January 11th, 2024, 1:08 pm

If Moats really wanted to make a splash and is willing to sell his soul for a winning men's basketball program, he'd hire Gregg Marshall.

Aside from Marshall being a complete and total d-bag and his wife being a public drunken mess, he'd put a winner on the court that MSU hasn't seen since Spoonhour.

If that's a bridge too far, a guy like John Brannen would listen, I'm sure.

Just trying to help jumpstart the Bears for the good of the league :)
TylerDurden
All MVC
All MVC

Postby MissouriValleyUnite » January 11th, 2024, 2:16 pm

With the success of Schertz, just look up to the NW corner of the state. He's 235-19 (.925) since 2016-17.
MissouriValleyUnite
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Bulldog4life24 » January 11th, 2024, 2:42 pm

MissouriValleyUnite wrote:With the success of Schertz, just look up to the NW corner of the state. He's 235-19 (.925) since 2016-17.

I’m flabbergasted no one has picked him up yet. Coach Mac is the real deal
Bulldog4life24
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby BCPanther » January 11th, 2024, 2:47 pm

Bulldog4life24 wrote:
MissouriValleyUnite wrote:With the success of Schertz, just look up to the NW corner of the state. He's 235-19 (.925) since 2016-17.

I’m flabbergasted no one has picked him up yet. Coach Mac is the real deal

I think he's earned the right to be picky. He's young, he's got time.
BCPanther
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball