MissouriValleyUnite
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Re: MVC Games Week 10 2023-24

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby racernation » January 14th, 2024, 5:32 pm

Congrats to UNI. The Racers reverted back to their old habits today.
racernation
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby GR4 » January 14th, 2024, 9:38 pm

Prohm can’t coach, UNI adjusted at half, Evansville didn’t.
GR4
MVC Recruit
MVC Recruit

Postby Adunk33 » January 16th, 2024, 1:56 pm

MissouriValleyUnite wrote:A victory for the City of Joliet as native Roger Powell Jr notches his first MVC win 90 miles down I-55.

Not a single ISU player ended up in double digits in any statistical category.

When ILST was looking for a new coach, a lot of folks wanted Powell to be considered. The rumor at the time is that then AD (who has since resigned before he could get fired) didn't vibe with him in their interview. It could've been a nice little reunion, but oh well.

Now, the Birds are probably at their lowest point, dropping a game to a young Valpo team at home with a team full of seniors. A few weeks ago, there was a really bad shooting game. That spread to the whole team and you can see it. They are afraid to shoot, second guessing every shot and when you hesitate, you miss. They've got no confidence. I believe they were 1-18 from 3 and still had a chance to win. The defense wasn't terrible but as it's been this season, the D has kept them in more games than not. Of the 9 losses, only three have been by more than 10 points. My expectations for the season moving forward are very low, but they cannot possibly shoot any worse than they have the last few weeks. I'd say most of the attempts are good shots, they just can't buy a bucket.

Not a good time to have Drake coming to town. Though, if you haven't heard, Pedon pulled the RS off of freshman BIG, Chase Walker. It'll be Chase's first game against a true college big. Should be fun to watch and an eye opening experience for the young man.
Last edited by Adunk33 on January 17th, 2024, 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Adunk33
All MVC
All MVC

Postby BEARZ77 » January 16th, 2024, 3:08 pm

Yeah Brodie isn't the easiest to cut your teeth on. I'm a little surprised Illinois St is not further along this year; I was impressed with what Pedon did in his first year , but when you have shooting slumps as a team, you just look bad overall usually.
The Bear is the largest carnivore on the North American continent; beware the Bear!
BEARZ77
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Adunk33 » January 16th, 2024, 4:09 pm

BEARZ77 wrote:Yeah Brodie isn't the easiest to cut your teeth on. I'm a little surprised Illinois St is not further along this year; I was impressed with what Pedon did in his first year , but when you have shooting slumps as a team, you just look bad overall usually.

If they shot slightly below average from 3, they probably have at least 5 more wins. Instead, they sit at 342 of 351 in 3-point percentage and 316 in effective field goal percentage with 9 losses to go along with it. Some shots start falling, some wins will come their way.
Adunk33
All MVC
All MVC

Postby tribecalledquest » January 16th, 2024, 8:35 pm

Adunk33 wrote:
BEARZ77 wrote:Yeah Brodie isn't the easiest to cut your teeth on. I'm a little surprised Illinois St is not further along this year; I was impressed with what Pedon did in his first year , but when you have shooting slumps as a team, you just look bad overall usually.

If they shot slightly below average from 3, they probably have at least 5 more wins. Instead, they sit at 342 of 351 in 3-point percentage and 316 in effective field goal percentage with 9 losses to go along with it. Some shots start falling, some wins will come their way.

If they are a bad shooting team why should there be an expectation that shots will start falling?
tribecalledquest
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Adunk33 » January 17th, 2024, 11:14 am

tribecalledquest wrote:
Adunk33 wrote:

If they are a bad shooting team why should there be an expectation that shots will start falling?

I'm not expecting them to start falling. I was just saying IF they do, they'll have a better shot at wins. I do believe it's mental at this point. The yips, if you will. I believe they have the ability to make shots just looking at last year vs this year 3pt %.

Burford last year: 33%, this year 21%
Poindexter last year: 37%, this year 25%
Kasubke last year: 35%, this year 31%

Regression across the board. So, if these guys can get back to their averages from last year, wins should start trickling in.
Adunk33
All MVC
All MVC

Postby tribecalledquest » January 17th, 2024, 12:51 pm

Adunk33 wrote:I'm not expecting them to start falling. I was just saying IF they do, they'll have a better shot at wins. I do believe it's mental at this point. The yips, if you will. I believe they have the ability to make shots just looking at last year vs this year 3pt %.

Regression across the board. So, if these guys can get back to their averages from last year, wins should start trickling in.

Fair enough. Good point. I'm amazed Burford has been that bad.
tribecalledquest
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby hot nuts » January 17th, 2024, 1:56 pm

tribecalledquest wrote:
Adunk33 wrote:I'm not expecting them to start falling. I was just saying IF they do, they'll have a better shot at wins. I do believe it's mental at this point. The yips, if you will. I believe they have the ability to make shots just looking at last year vs this year 3pt %.

Fair enough. Good point. I'm amazed Burford has been that bad.

Let's hope the shots start falling when we play Bradley. ;)
hot nuts
All MVC
All MVC

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball