MVC Games Week 10 2023-24

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: MVC Games Week 10 2023-24

Postby Kyle_Saluki_17 » January 10th, 2024, 11:13 pm

Lots of big storylines coming out of tonight.

Dana Ford’s last days?
Is Murray State back?
Battle at the top
Bradley is definitely back

Can’t wait for the Drake/SIU game on Saturday!
Kyle_Saluki_17
All MVC
All MVC

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby tribecalledquest » January 10th, 2024, 11:19 pm

The overall talent in the league is really good right now. I watched Evansville get trounced by 36 but Chuck Bailey is really good.

Awesome game in Des Moines. I'm sure the return game in Terre Haute will be just as good. Belmont and Murray doing what we expected. Both teams really hard to beat at home.

Dana Ford is a good guy but, man oh man. That's sad.
tribecalledquest
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby MissouriValleyUnite » January 10th, 2024, 11:19 pm

SalukiWorld wrote:I don't think I've ever seen an acting AD do something like this:
https://twitter.com/kmoatsmsubears/stat ... 0145112385

There’s always a human element to these things. I’m sure he’s very stressed right now and feels like his world is collapsing around him. It’s tough to face the public in situations like this and I give him credit for that.
MissouriValleyUnite
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby keane1 » January 11th, 2024, 7:09 am

SalukiWorld wrote:I don't think I've ever seen an acting AD do something like this:

Our administration, program and team are broken right now. New President coming this spring will hopefully try to right our basketball ship.
For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction.
keane1
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby pafan » January 11th, 2024, 7:37 am

Acting AD? Hasn't Moats been AD there for ages?
sad Evansville alum
pafan
MVC Valued Member
MVC Valued Member

Postby bleach » January 11th, 2024, 8:18 am

Without taking too much away from Murray, this wasn't about Murray. The Bears are a very talented and deep team that has given up on their coaching.
bleach
All MVC
All MVC

Postby tribecalledquest » January 11th, 2024, 8:34 am

bleach wrote:Without taking too much away from Murray, this wasn't about Murray. The Bears are a very talented and deep team that has given up on their coaching.

What kind of players are they if they can’t find it in themselves to still compete and win in spite of the coach? It’s a pretty big indictment of the players as much as Dana.

For example Donovan Clay could be a leader who helps them through this. Instead it looks like he spent his off season eating at Taco Bell five times a day.
tribecalledquest
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby BCPanther » January 11th, 2024, 8:35 am

From the outside it feels like it's time to absolutely clean house in Springfield.

They have advantages that the rest of us would dream of in this league and they're just average in pretty much everything.

How many football and basketball hires does Moats get before somebody realizes that he might be the problem? There's not a chance I'd let him make my baseball hire and doing what he did to Dana last night is just not something you do as an AD.
BCPanther
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby MissouriValleyUnite » January 11th, 2024, 9:40 am

BCPanther wrote:From the outside it feels like it's time to absolutely clean house in Springfield.

They have advantages that the rest of us would dream of in this league and they're just average in pretty much everything.

How many football and basketball hires does Moats get before somebody realizes that he might be the problem? There's not a chance I'd let him make my baseball hire and doing what he did to Dana last night is just not something you do as an AD.

Supposedly last night was a record-low attendance in JQH history. And considering they drew a packed house in the Hammons Student Center before then, I wouldn't be surprised if that was their lowest attendance in 30 years.
MissouriValleyUnite
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby ValleyFAN » January 11th, 2024, 9:43 am

BCPanther wrote:From the outside it feels like it's time to absolutely clean house in Springfield.

Ford was an upgrade over Lusk for sure, and Petrino was a nice hire for football that Moats was able to secure. Our new baseball coach will be Joey Hawkins, a former player who has been Guttin's right hand man the past few years. Moats hires for womens basketball and other programs have been solid.

I feel like a lot of the fans issues with Moats is that his hire and then ill-fated extension of Lusk really set the program back a long way. Attendance has died off a lot and he has appeared to have quite a bit of apathy about that and hasn't come up with much of an answer or effort. He isnt personable, engaging with the community, and can come across as unfriendly and arrogant. Not a good fit for the Ozarks and Springfield area.

I would be surprised if the AD Moats gets kicked to the curb but it's probably time for a change there as well in addition to men's basketball.
ValleyFAN
MVC starter
MVC starter

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball