MissouriValleyUnite
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Re: MVC Games Week 11 2023-24

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby pafan » January 20th, 2024, 6:54 pm

Tonight's margin of loss (49) for the Aces goes into the record books as the third most lop-sided loss in Aces MVC history.

2007-01-06 -- @ MO ST -- Loss by 52
2022-02-23 -- @ Loyola -- Loss by 51
2024-01-20 -- @ Drake -- Loss by 49

The coaches who led the Aces for the prior two losses were fired at the end of the respective seasons.
Last edited by pafan on January 20th, 2024, 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sad Evansville alum
pafan
MVC Valued Member
MVC Valued Member

Postby MissouriValleyUnite » January 20th, 2024, 8:55 pm

SIU/UNI in a 48-46 barnburner with 6 to go on CBSSN. Really good defense, over a dozen lead changes. Decent crowd for a -10 night in Frostbite Falls.

The "Southern Illinois" maroon jerseys are in my top-4 favorite MVC jerseys, trailing only the ISUb powder blues, Bradley retro reds, & Drake retro blues.

Impressed with CBSSN's effort and production value. Quite a few shots of campus and Cedar Falls in -10 temps, quite a few shots of the fans.
MissouriValleyUnite
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby MissouriValleyUnite » January 20th, 2024, 9:19 pm

SIU 57
UNI 61

SIU hasn't scored 60 in Cedar Falls since the Lowery era in 2008.
MissouriValleyUnite
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby TylerDurden » January 20th, 2024, 10:16 pm

Bradley vs. Murray and at Indiana State next week is going to tell us a lot about the Braves. They've looked good against the mid-to-bottom of the MVC teams and have been running most of them out of the gym. Are the a contender for the regular season title?

BU is on an eight-game winning streak with an average margin of of 20ppg (even with a one-point win at SIU) and are scoring 80ppg during that stretch.

Will be interesting to see if they're closer to the 6-0 version that beat Utah State or the version that dropped its first two league games, then crapped the bed without Hickman.

ISU has two road games (@Murray, @UIC) before they host Bradley, but I think they'll win both even if they have a tough time at Murray.

ISU, aside from the Drake game, has been hammering some of the same teams Bradley has been hammering. ISU hit 14 3s during the game played in Peoria, which they're doing to just about everyone they play - they're shooting 41% as a team. Should be a fun one in Terre Haute.
TylerDurden
All MVC
All MVC

Postby SalukiWorld » January 20th, 2024, 11:33 pm

MissouriValleyUnite wrote:SIU/UNI in a 48-46 barnburner with 6 to go on CBSSN. Really good defense, over a dozen lead changes. Decent crowd for a -10 night in Frostbite Falls.

The "Southern Illinois" maroon jerseys are in my top-4 favorite MVC jerseys, trailing only the ISUb powder blues, Bradley retro reds, & Drake retro blues.

Impressed with CBSSN's effort and production value. Quite a few shots of campus and Cedar Falls in -10 temps, quite a few shots of the fans.

Their coverage of the SIU-Oklahoma State game earlier this year was great. Lot of SIU fun facts and shots around campus and a camera on the basket. Got to give them credit because they could easily half-ass it with the amount of viewers they probably get for these games.
SalukiWorld
All MVC
All MVC

Postby BCPanther » January 20th, 2024, 11:48 pm

I hope we get more games on CBS Sports Net with the new deals after this year. They do fantastic work and their halftime show always talks about the game that's on and has other league highlights. So much better than the Duke love fest every halftime.

CBS treats it like an event. ESPN treats it like an obligation.

I'd love to see the quarterfinals end up on CBS Sports Net.
BCPanther
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby ValleyFAN » January 21st, 2024, 7:34 am

SalukiWorld wrote:Dana Ford gonna get fired tonight?

Apparently not. I would assume he will finish out the season. But after Drake beats the Bears by 50 this week then who knows.
ValleyFAN
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Kyle_Saluki_17 » January 21st, 2024, 9:11 am

Since my Salukis seem to be entering a free fall, I can still say that I’m really excited to see the league have the separation we need to be a 2 bid (or 3 with some luck) league. Drake murdering Evansville jumped their NET to 44 and I’d like to see the same with Indiana State today. Evansville and UIC’s non conference helped this cause a ton.
Kyle_Saluki_17
All MVC
All MVC

Postby bradley_townie » January 21st, 2024, 9:19 am

TylerDurden wrote:Bradley vs. Murray and at Indiana State next week is going to tell us a lot about the Braves. They've looked good against the mid-to-bottom of the MVC teams and have been running most of them out of the gym. Are the a contender for the regular season title?

BU is on an eight-game winning streak with an average margin of of 20ppg (even with a one-point win at SIU) and are scoring 80ppg during that stretch.

Will be interesting to see if they're closer to the 6-0 version that beat Utah State or the version that dropped its first two league games, then crapped the bed without Hickman.

ISU has two road games (@Murray, @UIC) before they host Bradley, but I think they'll win both even if they have a tough time at Murray.

ISU, aside from the Drake game, has been hammering some of the same teams Bradley has been hammering. ISU hit 14 3s during the game played in Peoria, which they're doing to just about everyone they play - they're shooting 41% as a team. Should be a fun one in Terre Haute.

Bradley is leading the MVC in conference play in 3 point percentage at 42%, offensive rebounds, and field goal attempts. This is such a different style of Wardle team than we've seen in the past as these guys want to run the floor and shoot rather than grind it out in the halfcourt, but they can beat teams either way. They are a fun group to watch.

Duke Deen and Connor Hickman are playing their best basketball since being at Bradley. Bradley is thin at guard and will go as far as their guards take them. Demarion Burch is also emerging as a really quality Freshman with a high motor that can get to the rim and has a decent outside shot too.

The conference season is a grind and their ceiling is repeat MVC champ if ISUb or Drake stumbles, but we also saw how the offense stalled in the 1st half at SIU when SIU was playing suffocating defense and not letting them play in space. That is something that Devries and Schertz will surely try to replicate when they play BU and they have the talent to do it.

Bradley was picked 3rd in the preseason poll and they seem to be playing every bit the 3rd best team right now.
bradley_townie
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball