Does Belmont Actually Exist?

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Postby freddycat68 » January 21st, 2024, 8:47 pm

I was looking for some reaction from Belmont fans and coaches after their last game. (To their credit, they beat Bradley twice last year, so I didn't want to know back then.) Anyway, to my surprise, I could not find a single fan message board or media outlet devoted to discussing or covering Belmont basketball. Not ONE of EITHER. There is apparently a newspaper in Nashville called 'The Tennessean' that has a section called "UT," another called "Vanderbilt," and another called "Other Colleges," which seems not to include any coverage of Belmont.

Is there any other team in the MVC that has no fan forum or local media coverage at all? Or is there actually coverage somewhere and Google just doesn't pick it up?

Not trying to be flippant. It's a nice program and I don't get the lack of interest.
freddycat68
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Does Belmont Actually Exist?

Postby bradley_townie » January 21st, 2024, 9:12 pm

I have also searched this in the past and have come up empty. I know they have internet in Nashville but not sure Belmont fans communicate outside of the physical presence of Belmont home games. Maybe Murray State fans can chime in?
bradley_townie
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby MissouriValleyUnite » January 21st, 2024, 9:13 pm

I was wondering the same thing. Is there an underground Belmont board not visible to the public? The other 11 teams have fairly active boards (Bradley has 2).

Maybe Belmont is a new age fan base where they have a lit Discord with closed access to the public?

Perhaps Belmont fans don't feel welcome? Have we messed up in our hospitality? The onus is on us to heighten our engagement and inclusion of Belmont fans at Arch Madness, so they don't feel like an outcast. An engaged Belmont is immensely valuable to the league.
MissouriValleyUnite
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby BUFanatic » January 22nd, 2024, 4:22 am

My sister went to grad school at Belmont. Raised a big BU fan and went to undergrad at IWU. Of course she never went to an IWU game for pretty obvious reasons.

During her time at Belmont (2018-2021) Belmont became a juggernaut. It got to the point where I told her how well Belmont was doing in ‘18 and ‘19 and that if I were on campus I would go to a game because they were good (big deal coming from me as I spent a year at Valpo and never went to a game, suffered through radio broadcasts of the Geno years instead). She had no idea they were doing so well and never made it to a game. She made it to more BU games than Belmont games over 3 years.

I checked home attendance during their final years in the OVC and they never posted close to a sellout at home. I love the Belmont/Murray adds but I really don’t understand why Belmont doesn’t seem to have a fan base.
BUFanatic
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby just ducky » January 22nd, 2024, 9:46 am

I have personally researched and concluded that this pretense of a real Belmont is yet another of many left or maybe right wing conspiracies.

Wait! This would mean that the MVC is a co-conspirator!
just ducky
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby jsaluki080 » January 22nd, 2024, 11:52 am

A fringe conspiracy theory is gaining traction claiming that the conspicuous absence of Belmont University basketball fans on message boards or even at games is not because the team is bad or has a young fan base that's not interested in sports, but rather because the University itself does not exist.

Conspiracy theorists argue that the Biden Administration was in cohoots with current President of the USA, Donald Trump, and current MVC commissioner, Jeff Jackson, to "fix" a glaring problem. That there was no other obvious 12th member to join the MVC. 11 conference members is the worst number for a conference to have. Even the Big10 tried to hide the fact they had 11 members for the longest time before being forced to expand. Looking to avoid similar problems and no other obvious 12th team to join, the cohorts simply manufactured an entire academic institution to join the league.

Perhaps these are wild claims but perhaps, the silence of Belmont's basketball fans is the loudest evidence for said claims.

Stay tuned, and I'll keep you updated with the latest.
jsaluki080
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby TylerDurden » January 22nd, 2024, 1:47 pm

I drove by the Belmont campus and its mansion last fall, but did not see any people. Coincidence or bad timing during a holiday break? You decide.
TylerDurden
All MVC
All MVC

Postby MissouriValleyUnite » January 22nd, 2024, 9:28 pm

jsaluki080 wrote:A fringe conspiracy theory is gaining traction claiming that the conspicuous absence of Belmont University basketball fans on message boards or even at games is not because the team is bad or has a young fan base that's not interested in sports, but rather because the University itself does not exist.

Conspiracy theorists argue that the Biden Administration was in cohoots with current President of the USA, Donald Trump, and current MVC commissioner, Jeff Jackson, to "fix" a glaring problem. That there was no other obvious 12th member to join the MVC. 11 conference members is the worst number for a conference to have. Even the Big10 tried to hide the fact they had 11 members for the longest time before being forced to expand. Looking to avoid similar problems and no other obvious 12th team to join, the cohorts simply manufactured an entire academic institution to join the league.

Perhaps these are wild claims but perhaps, the silence of Belmont's basketball fans is the loudest evidence for said claims.

Stay tuned, and I'll keep you updated with the latest.

There was one Belmont fan in STL last year I tried to interact with but could not get his attention. He looked like he was from Central Casting with the generic Belmont hat/attire and glasses. No matter how many times I tried to engage him, he just stoically watched the game unaware of anyone's existence as if he was in another dimension. I didn't think anything of it, but now hearing your stories, I'm now convinced the fan was AI-generated. The AI-generated Belmont fans get in a self-drive Tesla that takes them to the game and are preprogrammed to clap when Belmont scores. Evidently, some had to be dispatched to STL.
MissouriValleyUnite
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby freddycat68 » January 22nd, 2024, 10:54 pm

And notice how no "Belmont fans" have appeared to address any of this. It's almost as though ... oh never mind.
Last edited by freddycat68 on January 23rd, 2024, 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
freddycat68
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby squirrel » January 23rd, 2024, 12:13 am

For starters they probably have pretty good jobs and social lives. :)
squirrel
All MVC
All MVC

Next

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball