FOY/All-Freshmen Team

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: FOY/All-Freshmen Team

Postby municup14 » February 4th, 2024, 8:56 am

The FOY and the POY will probably come from one of the better teams in the conference. Past history shows the POY comes from one of the top teams.
municup14
MVC starter
MVC starter

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby BCPanther » February 4th, 2024, 8:59 am

Tucker is the better player with better stats but I have no idea how you give POY to anyone other than Avila. Missy important piece on the best team.
BCPanther
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby tribecalledquest » February 4th, 2024, 10:16 am

BCPanther wrote:Tucker is the better player with better stats but I have no idea how you give POY to anyone other than Avila. Missy important piece on the best team.

It was like the Krutwig days. You can talk all you want about the other players on Indiana State and point out their stats - but Avila is the guy. He’s the difference maker.
tribecalledquest
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby tribecalledquest » February 4th, 2024, 10:29 am

I fully understand Malevy Leons won’t win the POY. But one thing he does those two don’t is defend. And at a really high level. Avila can’t guard anyone and Tucker never gets asked to cover a tough assignment. Leons gets the other teams best player regardless of position night in, night out.
tribecalledquest
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby BCPanther » February 4th, 2024, 12:13 pm

tribecalledquest wrote:I fully understand Malevy Leons won’t win the POY. But one thing he does those two don’t is defend. And at a really high level. Avila can’t guard anyone and Tucker never gets asked to cover a tough assignment. Leons gets the other teams best player regardless of position night in, night out.

He'll get rewarded for that. He can already clear space for the DPOY plaque.
BCPanther
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Birdfan2018 » February 4th, 2024, 3:30 pm

municup14 wrote:The FOY and the POY will probably come from one of the better teams in the conference. Past history shows the POY comes from one of the top teams.

They historically come from the MVC League Champion. Except in 1996-97 when Illinois State won the League Championship (14-4) but instead of Kevin Stallings & Rico Hill getting COY & POY they (undeservedly) gave it to Northern Iowa’s (11-7 4th place) Eldon Miller & Jason Daisy.
Birdfan2018
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby BuBrave2006 » February 5th, 2024, 7:54 am

BCPanther wrote:
tribecalledquest wrote:I fully understand Malevy Leons won’t win the POY. But one thing he does those two don’t is defend. And at a really high level. Avila can’t guard anyone and Tucker never gets asked to cover a tough assignment. Leons gets the other teams best player regardless of position night in, night out.

He'll get rewarded for that. He can already clear space for the DPOY plaque.

Julian Larry would like a word. If the Trees end up 19-1, they're gonna have a pretty compelling argument to sweep almost all of the awards (except any of the bench stuff). Larry one of those that will have a strong case.
BuBrave2006
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Drakey » February 5th, 2024, 8:17 pm

Just an FYI. Devries is 5th in the Valley in steals.
Drakey
All MVC
All MVC

Postby tribecalledquest » February 5th, 2024, 8:40 pm

Drakey wrote:

Steals mean very little to me when it comes to how good of a defensive player you are. Guys who cherry pick and cheat all the time get steals (not suggesting Tucker does this).
tribecalledquest
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Drakey » February 6th, 2024, 10:43 am

tribecalledquest wrote:
Drakey wrote:

Steals mean very little to me when it comes to how good of a defensive player you are. Guys who cherry pick and cheat all the time get steals (not suggesting Tucker does this).

I'm not sure what he basis is for claiming Devries is not a good defender. I just know that when I am screaming about blown defensive assignments by Drake, i don't seem to be ever screaming about him. He must be pretty competent.
Drakey
All MVC
All MVC

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball