FOY/All-Freshmen Team

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: FOY/All-Freshmen Team

Postby tribecalledquest » February 14th, 2024, 12:29 pm

Adunk33 wrote:
hot nuts wrote:Kinziger really bolstered his resume to make the all-frosh team last night. Overall numbers decent, but has been coming on strong since late January. He's really contributing to the team persona as well...plays tough. He's a winner.

PPG: 7.3
RPG: 2.1
APG: 1.5
FG%: 47.0

Including dropping 31 on INST last night in 38 min on 10-12 shooting. Also added 4 boards (at “5’10”). The kid is a baller. I do wish with the way the season has gone, he would’ve played more at the start. He’s had his freshman moments but I would say overall, you could really see what he could become from day one, if given the chance. I get the sense we might actually be safe from a transfer, unless the call comes to join his brother at Wisconsin in a couple years

As I say to Bradley fans who worry about Demarion Burch leaving - let's tap the brakes on guys like this leaving. They aren't close to playing at the Big Ten level on a night in, night out basis. I understand the fear of the transfer portal - but a guy has to be a pretty big contributor in the MVC (like all league level) to jump to the Big Ten for example.
tribecalledquest
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby BCPanther » February 14th, 2024, 1:05 pm

tribecalledquest wrote:
Adunk33 wrote:
hot nuts wrote:Kinziger really bolstered his resume to make the all-frosh team last night. Overall numbers decent, but has been coming on strong since late January. He's really contributing to the team persona as well...plays tough. He's a winner.

Including dropping 31 on INST last night in 38 min on 10-12 shooting. Also added 4 boards (at “5’10”). The kid is a baller. I do wish with the way the season has gone, he would’ve played more at the start. He’s had his freshman moments but I would say overall, you could really see what he could become from day one, if given the chance. I get the sense we might actually be safe from a transfer, unless the call comes to join his brother at Wisconsin in a couple years

As I say to Bradley fans who worry about Demarion Burch leaving - let's tap the brakes on guys like this leaving. They aren't close to playing at the Big Ten level on a night in, night out basis. I understand the fear of the transfer portal - but a guy has to be a pretty big contributor in the MVC (like all league level) to jump to the Big Ten for example.

Losing COVID years is also going to change that calculus. Mast, Domask, Jones, etc were able to go be effective Big Ten players in their 5th years at 24. It's totally different without that extra year.
BCPanther
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby hot nuts » February 14th, 2024, 1:32 pm

Adunk33 wrote:

ISU has to be careful on his defensive matchups...despite his fight, he gets backed down pretty easily due to his size. That's probably why he'll be a mid-major player for his whole career.
hot nuts
All MVC
All MVC

Postby tribecalledquest » February 14th, 2024, 1:51 pm

BCPanther wrote:Losing COVID years is also going to change that calculus. Mast, Domask, Jones, etc were able to go be effective Big Ten players in their 5th years at 24. It's totally different without that extra year.

Good point.

I think Illinois State has EIGHT guys who have a 5th year next season. The 2024-25 success of the Redbirds depends on who decides to stick around.
tribecalledquest
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Adunk33 » February 15th, 2024, 12:14 pm

tribecalledquest wrote:
BCPanther wrote:Losing COVID years is also going to change that calculus. Mast, Domask, Jones, etc were able to go be effective Big Ten players in their 5th years at 24. It's totally different without that extra year.

Good point.

I think Illinois State has EIGHT guys who have a 5th year next season. The 2024-25 success of the Redbirds depends on who decides to stick around.

Only Lewis and Schmitt are players that cannot return. Everyone else is either a freshman, or has a 5th year of eligibility.
Poindexter
Burford
Davis
Banks
Lieb
Kasubke
Foster
Sissoko

Sunday is the last weekend game of the season, so they'll be celebrating Senior Day against Evansville. We know they will honor Lewis and Schmitt but after that, who knows? Last year they honored Sissoko and he came back this year to play limited minutes with the opportunity to return again next year.
Adunk33
All MVC
All MVC

Postby hot nuts » February 18th, 2024, 8:56 pm

Another solid game today.

18 points
4 rebounds
7 assists
1 turnover
hot nuts
All MVC
All MVC

Postby ColonialBulldog » February 19th, 2024, 6:49 am

Kinziger earned his FoW honors this week. That's a solid couple of games.

I do want to shout out to Kevin Overton who came out of a minor slump to get a career high 23 points.
ColonialBulldog
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby AcesAces » February 19th, 2024, 12:36 pm

Not sure what has happened to Chuck Bailey. He has his moments, but the MVC teams must have scouted him and know what he is going to do before he does. He has trouble shaking slower defenders and his defense must be poor or I am sure he would be getting more minutes.

His jumper has improved and he is a great free throw shooter.

Just one of those things I guess.
AcesAces
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby BuBrave2006 » February 20th, 2024, 8:48 am

ColonialBulldog wrote:Kinziger earned his FoW honors this week. That's a solid couple of games.

I do want to shout out to Kevin Overton who came out of a minor slump to get a career high 23 points.

Kinzinger actually got Player of the Week, not just Freshman of the Week. But also...he actualy didn't win Freshman of the Week, that went to Overton.

So Kinzinger is the best player, this week but Overton is the best freshman...if that makes sense. Idk. Both are really good and had good weeks.
BuBrave2006
All MVC
All MVC

Postby ColonialBulldog » February 20th, 2024, 11:11 am

BuBrave2006 wrote:
ColonialBulldog wrote:Kinziger earned his FoW honors this week. That's a solid couple of games.

Kinzinger actually got Player of the Week, not just Freshman of the Week. But also...he actualy didn't win Freshman of the Week, that went to Overton.

So Kinzinger is the best player, this week but Overton is the best freshman...if that makes sense. Idk. Both are really good and had good weeks.

I posted that before the announcement came out because, I mean, it was inevitable that Kinziger would win, right? When I saw that KO won Freshman of the Week I felt like such a disloyal fan lol
ColonialBulldog
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball