FOY/All-Freshmen Team

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: FOY/All-Freshmen Team

Postby BuBrave2006 » February 6th, 2024, 12:27 pm

Drakey wrote:
tribecalledquest wrote:
Drakey wrote:Just an FYI. Devries is 5th in the Valley in steals.

Steals mean very little to me when it comes to how good of a defensive player you are. Guys who cherry pick and cheat all the time get steals (not suggesting Tucker does this).

I'm not sure what he basis is for claiming Devries is not a good defender. I just know that when I am screaming about blown defensive assignments by Drake, i don't seem to be ever screaming about him. He must be pretty competent.

Theres so many ways to look at how good a player is defensively. How many blocks and steals they get is important, but a little lazy. You have to watch the players for this more than any other awards. Are they in the right spots? Are they where they are supposed to be on rotations (guys like Malevy), how good are they at not getting beat off the dribble (Hickman), how much of a pain are they when guarding you and making your life difficult (Julian Larry). Then theres guys like Clay who can do a little bit of everything and are versatile enough they can guard 1-5, which allows for creativity with rotations making everything easier for the team. Stuff like just can't be dismissed easily, thats why its so hard for someone like Julian Larry to win DPOY. There's just more things that someone like Malevy or Clay (or even someone like Okani) can do on the defensive end, even if Larry might be the best actual defensive player.

Tucker is an interesting case. I'm sure I haven't watched Drake as much as Drakey has but I feel like Tucker does more than enough defensively, but doesn't "move the needle" so to speak as far as defensive awards go. He's big and long, has a high IQ which puts him in the right spot often, but when I think of Drake playing a team like Southern Illinois, the thought of "Let's put Tucker on Xavier Johnson" doesn't really cross my mind. Maybe I'm off base here though, I haven't seen as much of Drake this year as I'd like to have.
BuBrave2006
All MVC
All MVC

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby tribecalledquest » February 6th, 2024, 2:52 pm

How often does Tucker get asked to guard the other team's best offensive player - regardless of position?
tribecalledquest
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby DUBulldog » February 6th, 2024, 5:52 pm

tribecalledquest wrote:How often does Tucker get asked to guard the other team's best offensive player - regardless of position?

Nobody is saying Tuccker is a defensive star, or anything like that. He's a decent defender.

But, to your point, how many teams assign their best offensive player to the opposing team's best? Seems like you wouldn't want your top offensive player to have to use too much energy on the defensive end.
DUBulldog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby bleach » February 6th, 2024, 6:53 pm

DUBulldog wrote:
But, to your point, how many teams assign their best offensive player to the opposing team's best? Seems like you wouldn't want your top offensive player to have to use too much energy on the defensive end.

Clay could be the Bears best offensive weapon. He gets lots of attention in game planning and usually is the guy when you need a bucket.
bleach
All MVC
All MVC

Postby tribecalledquest » February 6th, 2024, 6:59 pm

DUBulldog wrote:
tribecalledquest wrote:How often does Tucker get asked to guard the other team's best offensive player - regardless of position?

Nobody is saying Tuccker is a defensive star, or anything like that. He's a decent defender.

Connor Hickman and Malevy Leons guard the other teams best players every game. That could mean the other players need to be better defenders - but that is the case with Bradley right now.
tribecalledquest
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Birdfan2018 » February 6th, 2024, 8:08 pm

tribecalledquest wrote:
DUBulldog wrote:

Connor Hickman and Malevy Leons guard the other teams best players every game. That could mean the other players need to be better defenders - but that is the case with Bradley right now.

Which one of these is winning FOY?
Birdfan2018
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby tribecalledquest » February 7th, 2024, 10:54 am

Birdfan2018 wrote:Which one of these is winning FOY?

I don't know how this thread got off track. I know who isn't winning it - Ty Pence :D
tribecalledquest
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Drakey » February 7th, 2024, 10:19 pm

DUBulldog wrote:

And increase their chances of fouling out.
Drakey
All MVC
All MVC

Postby hot nuts » February 14th, 2024, 10:17 am

Kinziger really bolstered his resume to make the all-frosh team last night. Overall numbers decent, but has been coming on strong since late January. He's really contributing to the team persona as well...plays tough. He's a winner.

PPG: 7.3
RPG: 2.1
APG: 1.5
FG%: 47.0
hot nuts
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Adunk33 » February 14th, 2024, 12:04 pm

hot nuts wrote:Kinziger really bolstered his resume to make the all-frosh team last night. Overall numbers decent, but has been coming on strong since late January. He's really contributing to the team persona as well...plays tough. He's a winner.

PPG: 7.3
RPG: 2.1
APG: 1.5
FG%: 47.0

Including dropping 31 on INST last night in 38 min on 10-12 shooting. Also added 4 boards (at “5’10”). The kid is a baller. I do wish with the way the season has gone, he would’ve played more at the start. He’s had his freshman moments but I would say overall, you could really see what he could become from day one, if given the chance. I get the sense we might actually be safe from a transfer, unless the call comes to join his brother at Wisconsin in a couple years
Adunk33
All MVC
All MVC

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball