MVC Games Week 13 2023-24

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: MVC Games Week 13 2023-24

Postby Adunk33 » February 1st, 2024, 8:50 am

SalukiWorld wrote:Another hilarious collapse by SIU. Mullins is the worst coach in the conference.

But I thought he was in line for the DePaul job?
Adunk33
All MVC
All MVC

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby BCPanther » February 1st, 2024, 9:15 am

bradley_townie wrote:Bradley takes care of business at home against UNI. Bradley was up 16 at half and UNI never really threatened in the 2nd half. Hickman was on fire early and Leons was really solid on the defensive end. Good to see Born back and healthy.

Feels like we're finally seeing some separation in the top 3. UNI, SIU, Missouri State, Belmont, Illinois State and Murray State are all within a game of each other and will be fighting it out for the 4th Arch Madness bye. Should be a fun month of basketball.

Bradley was good last night. Just so long and a nice showing, congrats on the W.

You might want to look at UNIs remaining schedule before writing them off. Bradley and Drake at home and a very manageable road schedule(UIC, Valpo, Illinois State, SIU is the tough one).

Torvik Remaining SOS--

1-Drake
2-UIC
3-Evansville
4-SIU
5-Valpo
6-Illinois State
7-Murray State
8-Bradley
9-Missouri State
10-Belmont
11-UNI
12-Indiana State
BCPanther
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby TylerDurden » February 1st, 2024, 9:17 am

Adunk33 wrote:
SalukiWorld wrote:Another hilarious collapse by SIU. Mullins is the worst coach in the conference.

Looks like a good fit
TylerDurden
All MVC
All MVC

Postby tribecalledquest » February 1st, 2024, 9:19 am

BCPanther wrote:
bradley_townie wrote:Bradley takes care of business at home against UNI. Bradley was up 16 at half and UNI never really threatened in the 2nd half. Hickman was on fire early and Leons was really solid on the defensive end. Good to see Born back and healthy.

Feels like we're finally seeing some separation in the top 3. UNI, SIU, Missouri State, Belmont, Illinois State and Murray State are all within a game of each other and will be fighting it out for the 4th Arch Madness bye. Should be a fun month of basketball.

Bradley was good last night. Just so long and a nice showing, congrats on the W.

You might want to look at UNIs remaining schedule before writing them off. Bradley and Drake at home and a very manageable road schedule(UIC, Valpo, Illinois State, SIU is the tough one).

Torvik Remaining SOS--

1-Drake
2-UIC
3-Evansville
4-SIU
5-Valpo
6-Illinois State
7-Murray State
8-Bradley
9-Missouri State
10-Belmont
11-UNI
12-Indiana State

I think UNI will finish 4th. I don’t see how they catch Bradley for 3rd but I’ve been wrong before. As I mentioned earlier - UNI just doesn’t guard people well enough.
tribecalledquest
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby bradley_townie » February 1st, 2024, 9:28 am

BCPanther wrote:

Torvik Remaining SOS--

1-Drake
2-UIC
3-Evansville
4-SIU
5-Valpo
6-Illinois State
7-Murray State
8-Bradley
9-Missouri State
10-Belmont
11-UNI
12-Indiana State

I never said I am writing UNI off. I do think they are a step below talent-wise as Indiana State, Drake, and Bradley though and there are 5 other teams who will be competing for that bye. I don't think UNI is a lock by any stretch but if I was putting money on it, I would say UNI gets the 4th spot.
bradley_townie
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby BCPanther » February 1st, 2024, 9:52 am

UNIs defensive regression is a very, very real thing. Too many guys look absolutely lost on that end and it's at the point where Campbell and Heise are the only two reliable defenders on the floor.

Jake either needs to slow back down and go back to grinding on the offensive end or get out of his comfort zone in recruiting because trying to play faster with the talent he recruits really limits the ceiling.
BCPanther
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby TylerDurden » February 1st, 2024, 10:04 am

BCPanther wrote:

Torvik Remaining SOS--

1-Drake
2-UIC
3-Evansville
4-SIU
5-Valpo
6-Illinois State
7-Murray State
8-Bradley
9-Missouri State
10-Belmont
11-UNI
12-Indiana State

Agree that UNI's schedule is favorable, with their two most difficult games remaining both at home. While I don't think they're as good as Indiana State, Bradley or Drake, winning in Cedar Falls won't be easy and UNI only had to play Indiana State once, which is good for their record. They definitely have a chance to end up in third with some help.

I think the problem UNI is going to run into is that they're likely going to need either Drake or Bradley to get swept by the other AND UNI has to win its home game against both of them AND UNI can't lose any other game. All of this is possible, but improbable, IMO.

This really comes down to your view of UNI. I personally seem them as closer to (but better than) SIU than I do Drake, Bradley and Indiana State. Fourth place feels about right for them this season.
TylerDurden
All MVC
All MVC

Postby PretzelDawg » February 1st, 2024, 10:28 am

Adunk33 wrote:

DePaul can have him. As mentioned earlier, it would be a good fit. DePaul is a step down from SIU right now. We need a coach who knows how to step on another team's neck at the end of the game instead of letting up. How many times do you have to let a team up to realize it is the wrong approach. The Murray game should have been a loss which would put them under .500. I still haven't seen all his great recruiting connections pay off for the Salukis.

I'm tired of just the ho-humness of the Saluki basketball program.
PretzelDawg
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby Majik45 » February 1st, 2024, 12:09 pm

I think you pretty much have ISUb, Drake, and Bradley locked into the top 4 at this point. Honestly, if Indiana State wins Saturday, they probably are a lock to win the regular season barring an injury. Drake is up 3 games on 4th, so they are in great shape to maintain. Bradley is now up 2 games on both Southern and UNI, and has a win against each so they are in great shape for a bye as well.

Man it's going to be a dog fight to get that 4th bye. 6 teams within one game of each other. You can't take any nights off if you want to get that spot, as pretty much any of those teams have proven they can win head to head games on any given night. It's February 1st in the Valley!
Majik45
All MVC
All MVC

Postby tribecalledquest » February 1st, 2024, 12:41 pm

BCPanther wrote:UNIs defensive regression is a very, very real thing. Too many guys look absolutely lost on that end and it's at the point where Campbell and Heise are the only two reliable defenders on the floor.

Jake either needs to slow back down and go back to grinding on the offensive end or get out of his comfort zone in recruiting because trying to play faster with the talent he recruits really limits the ceiling.

I am sure those closer to the UNI program have a better feel for this. But I think it's a bad signal to your team when a coach (Jake) never pushes his best player/most high profile player (AJ Green, Bowen Born) to play defense. AJ was god awful for most of his career and Bowen barely even tries out there on that end.

The other players see this. Rules are different. God Bless Bowen Born but he isn't good enough to be a nothing burger on defense.
tribecalledquest
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball