Bryan Mullins

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Bryan Mullins

Postby tdawgs87 » March 6th, 2024, 9:22 am

Rumblings on SIU board that Mullins maybe out at SIU after this season. His contract is up next year and he has a very small buyout. SIU’s Chancellor is very much involved in athletics and rumor is he is driving the bus to get a new coach. At this point only internet rumors information will certainly come out at the Valley Tournament.
tdawgs87
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Bryan Mullins

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Bryan Mullins

Postby bradley_townie » March 6th, 2024, 9:27 am

Really? SIU was a win away from a top 4 finish in a year they were projected to finish way below that. Seems like Mullins was figuring some things out.
bradley_townie
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby Fetz86 » March 6th, 2024, 9:56 am

Who would they get that fits the school better?
Fetz86
MVC Recruit
MVC Recruit

Postby PretzelDawg » March 6th, 2024, 10:20 am

There will always be rumblings at SIU to replace a coach. I do think Mullins had a good season based upon what the preseason prognosticators expected SIU to finish, but I don't think anyone expected Xavier Johnson to be the player he was this year either.

IMO, with X, it seems SIU should have fared better than they did this season. There were some extremely disappointing losses after blowing huge leads this year, and let's face it, the Murray State W was lucky. If Mullins stays, fine; if he goes, fine. I can see both sides with him at the lead.

I know that Marcus Domask had a great career at SIU, and I didn't expect him to stay, but when you see what he is doing at Illinois this season it makes me wonder if he was even used correctly at SIU. Should they have gotten more out of him?

I think these parts put Mullins into a tough predicament.
PretzelDawg
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby MissouriValleyUnite » March 6th, 2024, 10:59 am

I would be very surprised if SIU fired him after this season. I could see next season if they have a bottom half finish, but doing it after this year would be really surprising. They're 113 in NET, which is good in this era of college basketball.
MissouriValleyUnite
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby BEARZ77 » March 6th, 2024, 11:08 am

I had not been overly impressed with Mullins , but thought this year was by far his best coaching job. But overall his 5 years look alot like Ford's 6; just as when Ford had Prim/Mosley , last year was the year Mullins needed to win big and he came up just short. Is he a good fit at SIU, definitely; can they do better, probably. But it also seems like given the surprise of this year, they ought to go another 1 and see.
The Bear is the largest carnivore on the North American continent; beware the Bear!
BEARZ77
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby MissouriValleyUnite » March 6th, 2024, 11:37 am

SIU board is implying the Chancellor is gunning for long-time Buzz Williams assistant Devin Johnson. Far as I can tell, all of his roots are southern, outside of a couple years at Marquette a decade ago. No head coach experience.

This seems like a very risky hire to me. I'd just run another year with Mullins and see if he makes further progress developing like he did this year.
MissouriValleyUnite
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Kyle_Saluki_17 » March 6th, 2024, 5:31 pm

SIU apparently had an obsession with restarting eve try 5 years and saying “we haven’t been in the tournament for x years”. I’m sure we will all enjoy 11th next year with a new team and program. Ignore the highest NET we’ve ever had. Ignore the attendance being at an all time high since 2008. I don’t like this one bit. I kind of get the argument, but I hate this.
Kyle_Saluki_17
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Fraydog » March 6th, 2024, 7:54 pm

Kyle_Saluki_17 wrote:SIU apparently had an obsession with restarting eve try 5 years and saying “we haven’t been in the tournament for x years”. I’m sure we will all enjoy 11th next year with a new team and program. Ignore the highest NET we’ve ever had. Ignore the attendance being at an all time high since 2008. I don’t like this one bit. I kind of get the argument, but I hate this.

When was the last time an SIU coach got five years or less? Last I checked it was Van Winkle who got in hot water with the NCAA. I’m not counting guys who left like Weber or Painter obviously, but Lowery was here from 2004 to 2012. Hinson 2012 to 2019. Herrin was here from 1985 to 1999, thirteen seasons. The pattern here is that SIU has given lots of time to head coaches. I’d give Mullins one more season myself but the whole “five year cycle” thing has absolutely no evidence to back it up. If Mullins is relieved of duties it would be the first time a coach was dismissed in five years or less here since Van Winkle.
Fraydog
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby PretzelDawg » March 7th, 2024, 11:21 pm

Maybe the chancellor is on to something. You can't lose to UIC in the 1st Round at St. Louis. Embarrassing!
PretzelDawg
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Next

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball