SIU fires Bryan Mullins

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: SIU fires Bryan Mullins

Postby SalukiWorld » March 23rd, 2024, 11:59 pm

MissouriValleyUnite wrote:Why doesn’t SIU just wait a few days and see if McCollum gets snubbed by Missouri St? That guy’s been turning down D-I offers just to coach in this conference and he fits the SIU AD’s “I want a proven winner as a head coach, someone who can matchup with Coach Jacobsen, Coach DeVries, & Coach Wardle” to a T.

I don't think McCollum is realistic for SIU. I wouldn't be shocked if he's Drake-bound if DeVries leaves.
SalukiWorld
All MVC
All MVC

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby BCPanther » March 24th, 2024, 7:01 am

SalukiWorld wrote:
MissouriValleyUnite wrote:Why doesn’t SIU just wait a few days and see if McCollum gets snubbed by Missouri St? That guy’s been turning down D-I offers just to coach in this conference and he fits the SIU AD’s “I want a proven winner as a head coach, someone who can matchup with Coach Jacobsen, Coach DeVries, & Coach Wardle” to a T.

I don't think McCollum is realistic for SIU. I wouldn't be shocked if he's Drake-bound if DeVries leaves.

Drake's promoting from within (Marty Richter) if DeVries leaves.
BCPanther
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby DUBulldog » March 24th, 2024, 7:50 am

BCPanther wrote:
SalukiWorld wrote:

That would be my hope.

Back to SIU, I hear they've interviewed the Youngstown State coach
DUBulldog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby tdawgs87 » March 24th, 2024, 8:01 am

So iLL 24 wrote:100% not Smithpeters.

Still sure on this? If not who are the other options
tdawgs87
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby BCPanther » March 24th, 2024, 8:22 am

DUBulldog wrote:
BCPanther wrote:
SalukiWorld wrote:

That would be my hope.

Back to SIU, I hear they've interviewed the Youngstown State coach

Then they better invest hardcore in NIL. Trilly has said several times that Youngstown is a massive outlier in NIL dollars. You'd be shocked what they're spending to still not win the Horizon League.
BCPanther
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby SalukiWorld » March 24th, 2024, 9:27 am

Calhoun would be a solid hire, hope they can get that one done
SalukiWorld
All MVC
All MVC

Postby TylerDurden » March 24th, 2024, 12:24 pm

Calhoun would play a fun style and he has some energy that SIU fans could get behind.

Youngstown isn't a place anyone wants to be, so I'd consider that when evaluating him.

SIU could do worse. The question is if they can do better.
TylerDurden
All MVC
All MVC

Postby dean_siu » March 24th, 2024, 4:35 pm

TylerDurden wrote:SIU could do worse. The question is if they can do better.

They can definitely do better if they brought back Saluki HoF coach and Big 10 assistant coach of the year Chris Lowery to lead the team once again. He led them to the sweet 16 during his previous reign and could do even better if given another chance. I know he will lead a team to several national titles one day and I hope it's at SIU. Northwestern has a tough match up today in the tourney so if they fall, maybe we could hear good news of his return tomorrow.
dean_siu
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby Bulldog4life24 » March 24th, 2024, 4:54 pm

dean_siu wrote:

They can definitely do better if they brought back Saluki HoF coach and Big 10 assistant coach of the year Chris Lowery to lead the team once again. He led them to the sweet 16 during his previous reign and could do even better if given another chance. I know he will lead a team to several national titles one day and I hope it's at SIU. Northwestern has a tough match up today in the tourney so if they fall, maybe we could hear good news of his return tomorrow.

Dude. Really?
Bulldog4life24
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby dean_siu » March 24th, 2024, 5:01 pm

Bulldog4life24 wrote:
dean_siu wrote:

Dude. Really?

Absolutely! I know Bulldog fans (as well as fans of all other teams in the conference) don't want this to happen as SIU would likely win at least 80% of the conference championships for the foreseeable future. However, the conference gains notoriety when it hires a coach of this nature and SIU is back in high regard nationally once again!
dean_siu
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball