SIU fires Bryan Mullins

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: SIU fires Bryan Mullins

Postby SalukiWorld » March 22nd, 2024, 9:30 pm

MissouriValleyUnite wrote:If I’m a betting man, So Ill 24 has been right on the pulse the whole time and this is going to backfire on Saluki-Insider.

I'm 100% with you (that's why I'm checking in with this :D ) but I'm hoping something didn't change with Spradlin since he posted
SalukiWorld
All MVC
All MVC

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby quatros_saluki » March 22nd, 2024, 10:54 pm

MissouriValleyUnite wrote:If I’m a betting man, So Ill 24 has been right on the pulse the whole time and this is going to backfire on Saluki-Insider.

There hasn't been anyone on Saluki Insider that has claimed to know what is going on, so not sure how anything would backfire on anyone.
quatros_saluki
MVC Recruit
MVC Recruit

Postby tdawgs87 » March 23rd, 2024, 9:32 am

So Ill 24 hasn’t replied to the concerns of SIU posters which in turn gives me a bad feeling that we are going to end up with our backup plan that will look like it was going to be him all along Smithpeters. This is typical SIU
tdawgs87
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby quatros_saluki » March 23rd, 2024, 1:31 pm

tdawgs87 wrote:So Ill 24 hasn’t replied to the concerns of SIU posters which in turn gives me a bad feeling that we are going to end up with our backup plan that will look like it was going to be him all along Smithpeters. This is typical SIU

I'm pretty sure this is a complete and total disaster. Not going to find anyone that wants this job that is better than Mullins. Any potential hires are looking at the fact he just won 42 games in two years and got canned. Then since our facilities are behind, NIL is almost non existent, and we are in Carbondale, pretty much they are all saying, well, that is a place coaches go to die. We just fired our best option.
quatros_saluki
MVC Recruit
MVC Recruit

Postby SalukiWorld » March 23rd, 2024, 2:17 pm

Mullins was not a good head coach. Maybe he will be one day but he wasn’t currently. It takes a lot to take Marcus Domask, who had a triple double in an NCAA Tournament game the other day, and Lance Jones and miss the NIT by a mile. And next year was not going to go much better.
SalukiWorld
All MVC
All MVC

Postby tribecalledquest » March 23rd, 2024, 2:55 pm

SalukiWorld wrote:Mullins was not a good head coach. Maybe he will be one day but he wasn’t currently. It takes a lot to take Marcus Domask, who had a triple double in an NCAA Tournament game the other day, and Lance Jones and miss the NIT by a mile. And next year was not going to go much better.

Right. The next hire may be underwhelming but that’s a different decision from moving on from Mullins.
tribecalledquest
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby So iLL 24 » March 23rd, 2024, 3:01 pm

tdawgs87 wrote:So Ill 24 hasn’t replied to the concerns of SIU posters which in turn gives me a bad feeling that we are going to end up with our backup plan that will look like it was going to be him all along Smithpeters. This is typical SIU

Hard to comment on here when I continue to be extremely embarrassed by the SIU board… The emotional comments and BS that’s posted by the hour is pathetic.

Everything is on schedule for people with an ounce of patience and for cognizant people who realize the logistics of things.
So iLL 24
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby SalukiWorld » March 23rd, 2024, 3:24 pm

tribecalledquest wrote:
SalukiWorld wrote:Mullins was not a good head coach. Maybe he will be one day but he wasn’t currently. It takes a lot to take Marcus Domask, who had a triple double in an NCAA Tournament game the other day, and Lance Jones and miss the NIT by a mile. And next year was not going to go much better.

Right. The next hire may be underwhelming but that’s a different decision from moving on from Mullins.

I was super excited about the Mullins hire and advocated for it. I thought after year 1 we had our guy for awhile. Year 2 went poorly but Domask got hurt, I was still on board. They struggled in year 3, especially against the top teams but I went into year 4 as excited as I’ve been for SIU Basketball since the 2000’s. They beat Oklahoma State and I thought we were headed for something. And then they went to Southern Indiana and got blown out with two Big Ten Seniors on their roster. And then they were lucky to beat Alcorn State at home. And they struggled with Chicago State at home. And by the time MVC play started, they had no shot at even an NIT. Bryan probably won’t have as talented of a roster as he did last year and they were a borderline top 33% team in CBB by KenPom.

I follow a lot of college basketball and tend to have a good eye for coaching and Bryan is just really poor at all areas but player retention and getting his guys to play hard. His in-game coaching was embarrassing at times and he struggled with the portal, something you can’t do in 2024. I like Bryan and wish him well. I think eventually he might be a good head coach but SIU isn’t giving him 10 years to figure things out. Expectations should be higher after 17 years of nothing.
SalukiWorld
All MVC
All MVC

Postby SalukiWorld » March 23rd, 2024, 3:33 pm

So iLL 24 wrote:

Hard to comment on here when I continue to be extremely embarrassed by the SIU board… The emotional comments and BS that’s posted by the hour is pathetic.

Everything is on schedule for people with an ounce of patience and for cognizant people who realize the logistics of things.

I trust you. But the stuff I’m hearing even off Insider is not giving me much hope. But I’m hoping it’s just negotiating.
SalukiWorld
All MVC
All MVC

Postby BEARZ77 » March 23rd, 2024, 3:50 pm

So iLL 24 wrote:

You could take names off and the posts on the saluki board could be interchanged with most on the Bear Nation forum. Everybody in a rush to see Ford go, now in a panic about who we haven't gotten named HC yet.
The Bear is the largest carnivore on the North American continent; beware the Bear!
BEARZ77
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball