SIU fires Bryan Mullins

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: SIU fires Bryan Mullins

Postby PretzelDawg » March 19th, 2024, 8:22 am

So iLL 24 wrote:
Salukimadness86 wrote:Just want the best qualified coaching candidate. After the mass exodus of players, it's imperative SIU gets this right. Huge hire for Leonard.

Bryan lost 5 games by a total 7 points.
Bryan lost 9 games by a total of 21pts.

That’s how close Bryan was to an extension. Especially considering Ferguson missed a month of the season (3 losses). If he’s there do we beat APSU? Wichita?

If Bryan stays, we may be preseason top 2 if Schertz leaves with his starting 5, DeVries finally takes another job with his son, Belmont losing their two top players, and Leon’s graduating from Bradley.

Returning Ebube/Rupert, D’Amico/Hensley, Ferguson, Davis. We go and get two point guards in the portal.

Mullins should have won these games, but he is an awful coach down the stretch of close games. You know SIU is going to hold the ball, and his strategy each game was to give X the ball and see what happens. Now, having the ball in X's hands is great, but maybe run a play to see if something opens up. When you do the same thing and it continually fails, you should try something else. Mullins couldn't do this. He also couldn't find a more explosive offense with Domask, Jones, and X all in the same lineup. This was problematic.

Daily Egyptian had a great article the other day. In it, they mentioned that Mullins won two games at St. Louis. This is unacceptable NOT to win when it matters most. Nice guy but good riddance!
PretzelDawg
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby TylerDurden » March 19th, 2024, 8:35 am

They should hire Bruce Weber again.
TylerDurden
All MVC
All MVC

Postby So iLL 24 » March 19th, 2024, 8:42 am

TylerDurden wrote:They should hire Bruce Weber again.

The first call our administration and even coach Jerrance Howard made was to Bruce. After some thought, he ultimately decided against it.
So iLL 24
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby MissouriValleyUnite » March 19th, 2024, 10:34 am

So iLL 24 wrote:

The first call our administration and even coach Jerrance Howard made was to Bruce. After some thought, he ultimately decided against it.

Was there any truth to them contacting Gregg Marshall?
MissouriValleyUnite
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Fetz86 » March 19th, 2024, 11:42 am

MissouriValleyUnite wrote:Was there any truth to them contacting Gregg Marshall?

I assumed the MVC school that reached out to him would really be MSU. If they hired Petrino, they are not afraid to gamble on questionable characters.
Fetz86
MVC Recruit
MVC Recruit

Postby So iLL 24 » March 19th, 2024, 12:30 pm

MissouriValleyUnite wrote:
So iLL 24 wrote:

Was there any truth to them contacting Gregg Marshall?

Absolutely not.
So iLL 24
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby SalukiWorld » March 19th, 2024, 1:20 pm

Was there anything to Bob Huggins possibly being spotted at an SI airport or was it another 70 year old drunk?
SalukiWorld
All MVC
All MVC

Postby dean_siu » March 19th, 2024, 4:14 pm

So iLL 24 wrote:Salukis have a commitment for their next Men’s basketball coach. Should be announced once the coach’s team is eliminated from the tournament.

Could this possibly mean they have done the right thing and made a deal to bring back Chris Lowery? If so, I doubt we'll find out for a couple weeks as I expect Northwestern to at least make the sweet 16 in the tourney.

If this is true though, the rest of the Valley better watch out. SIU will be back next year and the next 10 years will be another decade of dominance for the Salukis!
dean_siu
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby DUBulldog » March 19th, 2024, 4:20 pm

dean_siu wrote:
So iLL 24 wrote:Salukis have a commitment for their next Men’s basketball coach. Should be announced once the coach’s team is eliminated from the tournament.

Could this possibly mean they have done the right thing and made a deal to bring back Chris Lowery? If so, I doubt we'll find out for a couple weeks as I expect Northwestern to at least make the sweet 16 in the tourney.

If this is true though, the rest of the Valley better watch out. SIU will be back next year and the next 10 years will be another decade of dominance for the Salukis!

If it's Lowery, and if he's as successful as you think he will be.....do you really think he'd stick around for 10 years?
DUBulldog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby dean_siu » March 19th, 2024, 4:38 pm

DUBulldog wrote:
dean_siu wrote:

If it's Lowery, and if he's as successful as you think he will be.....do you really think he'd stick around for 10 years?

I think if SIU hadn't of been so stupid in the past, we probably would have won the MVC at least 7 of the past 10 years and Lowery would still be there. He had a love for the university and I hope that can be restored. Before he was wrongfully terminated by our idiot AD at the time, he had spoke of his desire to establish SIU as the Gonzaga of the midwest and its a shame he wasn't allowed to make this happen initially. Lets right the wrong and make this program a national powerhouse once again.
dean_siu
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball