Transfer portal——MVC guys

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Transfer portal——MVC guys

Postby ReZyNeZy » April 12th, 2024, 12:12 pm

First Valpo transfer Luke Carroll. Carroll is a walk on. All scholarship athletes at VU still remain

EDIT:

Never speak too soon I guess. Lual Mayang enters the portal. Redshirt freshman with various health issues that prevented him from play. 1st scholarship athlete to leave Valpo
ReZyNeZy
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby bradley_townie » April 13th, 2024, 8:52 am

TylerDurden wrote:
Mikovio wrote:
Drakey wrote:In this new age of college basketball the worst thing a school might be able to do is win. If you are too successful you lose your coach and all of your players, like Drake and Indiana State. Unfortunately the formula for success may be getting players that no P5 program would want, but who might stay for four years.

Brian Wardle and his 3 MVC championships say hi.

Wardle found a good place that works for his style and personality, but he isn't lighting the world on fire and he's never had a season like Schertz just had.

He's not a hot commodity in the coaching world. He's going to go win between 20-25 games and lose between 10-15.

Consistency is valuable and he's consistent. He's not going to make you Gonzaga, but he's also not going to implode in all likelihood.

I'm happy that Bradley isn't coached by Geno Ford, but let's not go overboard.

We as fans of Midwestern mid-major teams need to reframe what success looks like going forward or it's going to be miserable following our teams. Unless you have billionaire mega donors supporting your NIL, success is competing for conference championships and making it to post-season tournaments (NCAA, NIT). What Schertz accomplished in 3 years, turning a low-budget mid-major into a top 25 team, is super impressive and something P6 programs salivate over.

Wardle drives Bradley fans crazy sometimes with his decisions but the results speak for themselves and whatever he is doing seems to be working well enough to be competing for championships in the MVC. He's got his faults that probably give bigger programs some pause (how would he handle the pressure of a larger media market, how well can he recruit the portal). But watching and following basketball is supposed to be fun and the last 5 years have been some of the most fun for Bradley fans in the school's history.

What Gonzaga accomplished is not repeatable for a mid-major in this current college basketball landscape.
bradley_townie
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby tribecalledquest » April 13th, 2024, 10:15 am

bradley_townie wrote:We as fans of Midwestern mid-major teams need to reframe what success looks like going forward or it's going to be miserable following our teams. Unless you have billionaire mega donors supporting your NIL, success is competing for conference championships and making it to post-season tournaments (NCAA, NIT).

This is the same goal MVC teams have hadthe last 30 years. Nothing new has changed with the NIL, portal, etc.

The Valley is basically in the same place nationally as it always has been.
tribecalledquest
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby BCPanther » April 13th, 2024, 12:54 pm

UNI's Drew Daniel to Minnesota State Mankato.
BCPanther
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby DUBulldog » April 13th, 2024, 8:48 pm

I'm not getting my hopes up, but sounds like Kevin Overton is considering returning to Drake.

He is supposed to announce on 4/16, and it sounds like he's down to Oklahoma, Texas Tech, and Drake.

My money would be on Oklahoma, especially based on the amount of money they are rumored to have offered him. He is also a native of Oklahoma.
DUBulldog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby tribecalledquest » April 14th, 2024, 10:52 am

Not a D1 portal guy but Bradley got a commitment from 6-10 JUCO Center Corey Thomas.

His game looks like a righthanded version of Darius Hannah, IMO. Averaged 12.2 points, 10.1 boards and 1.8 blocks a game at Cowley and was first team All League.

Bradley has one scholarship to give. The staff says it will probably be a freshman. I wish they would go best player available regardless of position and sort out playing time later. They didn't ask me what I thought.
tribecalledquest
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby jturner38 » April 14th, 2024, 3:45 pm

First of the recent Indiana State starters to commit somewhere. Jayson Kent has committed to Texas.
jturner38
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby TylerDurden » April 14th, 2024, 7:45 pm

jturner38 wrote:First of the recent Indiana State starters to commit somewhere. Jayson Kent has committed to Texas.

Kent's progression has been amazing. Kudos to him for continuing to grind.

20-21 FR at Bradley - 3.6 pts in 9 min/game/37% FG
21-22 SO at Bradley - 6.9 pts/2.9 reb/38% FG
22-23 JR at ISU - 5.1 pts/2.1 reb/47% FG
23-24 SR at ISU - 13.5 pts/8.1 reb/64% FG/36% 3pt/83.7% FT - 2nd team all-conference
24-25 - GR at Texas
TylerDurden
All MVC
All MVC

Postby jturner38 » April 14th, 2024, 9:20 pm

Looks like his teammate is heading there as well. Julian Larry has committed to Texas.

Side note: Kent and Larry were both born in Texas.
jturner38
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby MidwestBest » April 15th, 2024, 7:35 am

Kind of nice to see the ISUb guys not following Schertz like the SLU fans all expected
MidwestBest
MVC Recruit
MVC Recruit

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball