Transfer portal——MVC guys

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Transfer portal——MVC guys

Postby MidwestBest » April 11th, 2024, 10:00 am

Drakey wrote:In this new age of college basketball the worst thing a school might be able to do is win. If you are too successful you lose your coach and all of your players, like Drake and Indiana State. Unfortunately the formula for success may be getting players that no P5 program would want, but who might stay for four years.

I generally agree with this, makes the ADs and Uni Presidents even more important. Have to have stability and vision somewhere i suppose.
MidwestBest
MVC Recruit
MVC Recruit

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby TylerDurden » April 11th, 2024, 10:16 am

Mikovio wrote:
Drakey wrote:In this new age of college basketball the worst thing a school might be able to do is win. If you are too successful you lose your coach and all of your players, like Drake and Indiana State. Unfortunately the formula for success may be getting players that no P5 program would want, but who might stay for four years.

Brian Wardle and his 3 MVC championships say hi.

Wardle found a good place that works for his style and personality, but he isn't lighting the world on fire and he's never had a season like Schertz just had.

He's not a hot commodity in the coaching world. He's going to go win between 20-25 games and lose between 10-15.

Consistency is valuable and he's consistent. He's not going to make you Gonzaga, but he's also not going to implode in all likelihood.

I'm happy that Bradley isn't coached by Geno Ford, but let's not go overboard.
TylerDurden
All MVC
All MVC

Postby tribecalledquest » April 11th, 2024, 10:18 am

TylerDurden wrote:
Mikovio wrote:

Wardle found a good place that works for his style and personality, but he isn't lighting the world on fire and he's never had a season like Schertz just had.

He's not a hot commodity in the coaching world. He's going to go win between 20-25 games and lose between 10-15.

Consistency is valuable and he's consistent. He's not going to make you Gonzaga, but he's also not going to implode in all likelihood.

I'm happy that Bradley isn't coached by Geno Ford, but let's not go overboard.

Over the last five years Bradley has been the second best team in the league after Drake. It's not really a close comparison. I'm guessing SIU, ISU, MSU, etc. would love to have the last five years Bradley has had under Brian Wardle.

I know you are more down on Wardle than most - he clearly has warts. But two MVCT titles, a regular season league title, and a top 60 NET season with an NIT win over Loyola - that's a pretty good run.
tribecalledquest
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby TylerDurden » April 11th, 2024, 10:31 am

tribecalledquest wrote:Over the last five years Bradley has been the second best team in the league after Drake. It's not really a close comparison. I'm guessing SIU, ISU, MSU, etc. would love to have the last five years Bradley has had under Brian Wardle.

I know you are more down on Wardle than most - he clearly has warts. But two MVCT titles, a regular season league title, and a top 60 NET season with an NIT win over Loyola - that's a pretty good run.

I'm sure lots of mid-to-lower-level MVC teams would trade places with Bradley. That wasn't the point of the post.

The previous poster was implying that Wardle has won at a level that makes him desirable to bigger offers, like Schertz. He hasn't. We both know that.

I'm not denying he's had some level of success at BU because he clearly has. He's also done an admirable job getting them away from the mess Geno created, but he is what he is. That's not a bad thing.
TylerDurden
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Drakey » April 11th, 2024, 2:35 pm

Mikovio wrote:

Wardles record is obviously not good enough to interest any school that pays more than Bradley. He has never had a season with less than 10 losses. and his conference winning percentage is at 51%. I seem to recall a lot of discussion on here about canning Wardle a couple years ago.
Drakey
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Drakey » April 11th, 2024, 2:41 pm

BCPanther wrote:
Mikovio wrote:

As do Ben Jacobson and his 8 league titles and 4 NCAA Tournament wins.

Jacobson's chances to leave were before all of this NIL transfer at will stuff. Over the last 8 years he has won 54% of his games. Not a hot commodity anymore. Before the current situation losing a coach did not mean losing your entire team,
Drakey
All MVC
All MVC

Postby sivert » April 11th, 2024, 3:50 pm

Drakey wrote:...[quotes]...
Jacobson's chances to leave were before all of this NIL transfer at will stuff. Over the last 8 years he has won 54% of his games. Not a hot commodity anymore. Before the current situation losing a coach did not mean losing your entire team,

And freedom of movement.
Go Panthers!!
sivert
All MVC
All MVC

Postby tribecalledquest » April 11th, 2024, 4:47 pm

In no way was I saying I would have hired Wardle over Devries or Schertz. I wouldn’t have. He went from an overrated coach for a few years to an underrated one recently.

He hasn’t had that national “flash” moment that a lot coaches need to move up.
tribecalledquest
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby BCPanther » April 11th, 2024, 5:33 pm

Michael Duax to Florida Gulf Coast.
BCPanther
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby bleach » April 11th, 2024, 7:53 pm

Drakey wrote: Before the current situation losing a coach did not mean losing your entire team,

I think you could and often did lose your whole team when losing your coach but now you don't have to lose your coach to lose your whole team.
bleach
All MVC
All MVC

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball