Status/Future of the Valley

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Status/Future of the Valley

Postby ReZyNeZy » March 31st, 2024, 8:10 am

tribecalledquest wrote:
bleach wrote:I see no reason a traditional scholly guy can't walk on and get NIL money and a traditional non NIL guy can't get a scholly. Thus, you could have 13 scholly guys like always and pay 10 great ballplayers too.

Players aren’t going to do this. Only five guys play at once. Guys also like to play. The NIL boogeyman has gotten out of control.

NIL isn't the boogeyman people think it is. The portal is the real devil here
ReZyNeZy
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby tribecalledquest » March 31st, 2024, 8:41 am

There is really nothing that can be done to regulate transferring unless they want to make players employees. Nor should they be.

As long as the NCAA and the member schools insist on calling them “student-athletes” and want the amateur model you cannot keep any student from transferring schools and engaging in extracurricular activities at the new school they attend.
tribecalledquest
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby ReZyNeZy » March 31st, 2024, 9:07 am

tribecalledquest wrote:There is really nothing that can be done to regulate transferring unless they want to make players employees. Nor should they be.

As long as the NCAA and the member schools insist on calling them “student-athletes” and want the amateur model you cannot keep any student from transferring schools and engaging in extracurricular activities at the new school they attend.

This would hold if decisions were being made for academic interests, but everyone knows they arent. I know you cant prove this and that is why the lawsuits exist in the first place, but I still believe there needs to be transfer regulations on student-athletes. Its give and take. While you are a student first and foremost, that doesn't negate your status as an athlete. Sacrifices need to be made on both ends. The sacrifice of being a student is that you have to maintain your academic integrity while you are in school. The sacrifice of being an athlete should be that you cant just up and leave whenever you want.
ReZyNeZy
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby tribecalledquest » March 31st, 2024, 10:11 am

ReZyNeZy wrote:
tribecalledquest wrote:There is really nothing that can be done to regulate transferring unless they want to make players employees. Nor should they be.

This would hold if decisions were being made for academic interests, but everyone knows they arent. I know you cant prove this and that is why the lawsuits exist in the first place, but I still believe there needs to be transfer regulations on student-athletes. Its give and take. While you are a student first and foremost, that doesn't negate your status as an athlete. Sacrifices need to be made on both ends. The sacrifice of being a student is that you have to maintain your academic integrity while you are in school. The sacrifice of being an athlete should be that you cant just up and leave whenever you want.

But that would require the NCAA to change its narrative 180. It has to start there. They shouldn't be allowed to have the cake and eat it to.
tribecalledquest
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby bleach » March 31st, 2024, 11:34 am

tribecalledquest wrote:
bleach wrote:I see no reason a traditional scholly guy can't walk on and get NIL money and a traditional non NIL guy can't get a scholly. Thus, you could have 13 scholly guys like always and pay 10 great ballplayers too.

Players aren’t going to do this. Only five guys play at once. Guys also like to play. The NIL boogeyman has gotten out of control.

I just said I saw nothing to prevent it from happening not that it would.
bleach
All MVC
All MVC

Postby bleach » March 31st, 2024, 11:41 am

ReZyNeZy wrote:
tribecalledquest wrote:

NIL isn't the boogeyman people think it is. The portal is the real devil here

The only problem I have with NIL is that kids make decisions based on money as opposed to what will be the best situation for them. Some may say money determines what is the best situation for them but I disagree. Anybody remember Isaiah Mosely? He chased money and is a nobody now. If he stays at Mo State, he gets $100K, remains in a system that he flourished in, and probably is in the NBA system while being the schools all time leading scorer, local legend (and the benefits of that) and his number hanging in the rafters. Was money the right choice?
bleach
All MVC
All MVC

Postby bleach » March 31st, 2024, 11:50 am

tribecalledquest wrote:
ReZyNeZy wrote:

But that would require the NCAA to change its narrative 180. It has to start there. They shouldn't be allowed to have the cake and eat it to.

This is all being done in the name of benefitting the student athlete while it is really a tool to use the student athlete.
bleach
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Mikovio » April 1st, 2024, 10:58 am

bleach wrote:The only problem I have with NIL is that kids make decisions based on money as opposed to what will be the best situation for them. Some may say money determines what is the best situation for them but I disagree. Anybody remember Isaiah Mosely? He chased money and is a nobody now. If he stays at Mo State, he gets $100K, remains in a system that he flourished in, and probably is in the NBA system while being the schools all time leading scorer, local legend (and the benefits of that) and his number hanging in the rafters. Was money the right choice?

You're not wrong but in the end these are very young adults who don't always make the best long-term decisions. It's why credit card companies have littered campuses for years offering keychains and bottle openers for signing up for a 25% APY account. But if they're old enough to smoke and fight in wars it's hard to deny them this.
Mikovio
All MVC
All MVC

Postby bleach » April 1st, 2024, 6:41 pm

It's just that it is being sold as the players being set free and I think there needs to be limits on that freedom.
bleach
All MVC
All MVC

Postby tribecalledquest » April 1st, 2024, 7:40 pm

bleach wrote:It's just that it is being sold as the players being set free and I think there needs to be limits on that freedom.

The answer is contracts. NCAA and coaches don’t want that. Until then you should not limit them at all.
tribecalledquest
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball