Status/Future of the Valley

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Status/Future of the Valley

Postby harley93davidson » March 30th, 2024, 7:53 pm

TBS_20 wrote:What should be considered is 2/3 teams will eventually leave. It's not like last time where there was two ideal options. Now we're down to Denver, omaha, umkc, bellarmine, and nku. While I like the last two let's not kid ourself. Bellarmine and nku are a long way from Belmont and Murray state

I think, or at least hope UT Arlington is in play. I think it would be foolish to take any of the above listed schools over Arlington imho.
harley93davidson
MVC Walk On
MVC Walk On

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Fetz86 » March 30th, 2024, 8:00 pm

If we lose two schools it would be better to roll with the 10 we have left. Ten is ideal and we go back to the 18 game double round-robin.
Fetz86
MVC Recruit
MVC Recruit

Postby racernation » March 30th, 2024, 8:12 pm

NIL didn't change the number of scholarships in Division I. There's still just 13 slots at each school, so 4,319 total in Division I. Players may shift but there's plenty of talent to go around.

If the SEC and Big 10 break off from the NCAA, that's where the real disparity comes in... because they could offer say 18 slots instead of 13.
racernation
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby tribecalledquest » March 30th, 2024, 8:24 pm

racernation wrote:NIL didn't change the number of scholarships in Division I. There's still just 13 slots at each school, so 4,319 total in Division I. Players may shift but there's plenty of talent to go around.

If the SEC and Big 10 break off from the NCAA, that's where the real disparity comes in... because they could offer say 18 slots instead of 13.

Good point.
tribecalledquest
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Drakey » March 30th, 2024, 9:12 pm

Do scholarships even matter anymore? So what if they are limited t 13 scholarships? Who needs a scholarship if you can be a walk-on and get paid $500,000. That will cover tuition and books nicely.
Drakey
All MVC
All MVC

Postby tribecalledquest » March 30th, 2024, 9:13 pm

Drakey wrote:Do scholarships even matter anymore? So what if they are limited t 13 scholarships? Who needs a scholarship if you can be a walk-on and get paid $500,000. That will cover tuition and books nicely.

No walk on is getting 500K.
tribecalledquest
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby harley93davidson » March 30th, 2024, 9:17 pm

Scholarships do not really matter, there is only so much playing time that can be given to players. Remember these kids want NIL money, sure, but they also want to play and prove themselves. Most kids at the D1 level have a legit shot to play professionally somewhere in the world. Compound that with the fact that not even duke is gonna give big NIL bucks to the 13th best scholarship guy and there is no reason why some talented players with aspirations of playing pro in Australia are gonna want to forgo that to ride dukes bench for marginally more NIL money.
harley93davidson
MVC Walk On
MVC Walk On

Postby ReZyNeZy » March 30th, 2024, 10:39 pm

Drakey wrote:Do scholarships even matter anymore? So what if they are limited t 13 scholarships? Who needs a scholarship if you can be a walk-on and get paid $500,000. That will cover tuition and books nicely.

Avg NIL payout is 37k for basketball players. As I stated before, basketball NIL and football NIL are VERY different. Basketball doesn't pay out G Wagons, xboxes, and 6 figures like football does.
ReZyNeZy
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby bleach » March 31st, 2024, 6:36 am

I see no reason a traditional scholly guy can't walk on and get NIL money and a traditional non NIL guy can't get a scholly. Thus, you could have 13 scholly guys like always and pay 10 great ballplayers too.
bleach
All MVC
All MVC

Postby tribecalledquest » March 31st, 2024, 7:52 am

bleach wrote:I see no reason a traditional scholly guy can't walk on and get NIL money and a traditional non NIL guy can't get a scholly. Thus, you could have 13 scholly guys like always and pay 10 great ballplayers too.

Players aren’t going to do this. Only five guys play at once. Guys also like to play. The NIL boogeyman has gotten out of control.
tribecalledquest
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball