Drake Hires Ben McCollum

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Drake Hires Ben McCollum

Postby Bulldog4life24 » April 3rd, 2024, 8:54 pm

DUBulldog wrote:
BUFanatic wrote:I’m surprised you spell out N1&@‘s name. I was so angry when he did what he did to Drake that he’s been dead to me ever since he left.

He’s usually referred to as PeeWee on the Drake board, due to his resemblance to PeeWee Herman.

In a way, he did Drake a favor by bailing. He’s been successful at CSU, but I don’t think he would have had nearly the success that DeVries had if he’d stayed at Drake.

But, he’s still a prick.

You forgot our personal favorite, pi** stain
Bulldog4life24
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby DUBulldog » April 3rd, 2024, 9:38 pm

Bulldog4life24 wrote:
DUBulldog wrote:
BUFanatic wrote:I’m surprised you spell out N1&@‘s name. I was so angry when he did what he did to Drake that he’s been dead to me ever since he left.

He’s usually referred to as PeeWee on the Drake board, due to his resemblance to PeeWee Herman.

In a way, he did Drake a favor by bailing. He’s been successful at CSU, but I don’t think he would have had nearly the success that DeVries had if he’d stayed at Drake.

But, he’s still a prick.

You forgot our personal favorite, pi** stain

I knew there was a classic McBulldog name for him, just couldn't remember

RIP, McBull
DUBulldog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby PretzelDawg » April 4th, 2024, 9:23 am

TylerDurden wrote:Agreed. IMO, Drake hit the mark on both Niko and DeVries. I also think McCollum is a home run hire. It's to be seen how he'll do, but I don't have any reason to bet against that guy.

I was trying to think of another MVC school that did something similar.

I'd probably count SIU - Weber, Painter, Lowery - despite how it ended with Lowery.

There might be another, but I think it's been a pretty rare occurrence. Goes to show that hiring coaches can be a crapshoot.

Tulsa had a good run of head coaches while in the Valley:
Nolan Richardson 1981-85
JD Barnett 85-91
Tubby Smith 91-95
Steve Robinson 96-98
Bill Self 98-2000

1996 was Tulsa's last year in the Valley, so a string of 4 successful hires in a row while in the conference.

You're also doing a disservice to the Saluki success run without putting Rich Herrin at the front of the run instead of Bruce Weber. Herrin took his team to the postseason 7 straight years with 4 NIT appearances followed by three trips to the NCAA tournament.
PretzelDawg
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Previous

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball