FOX + 3 P5 conferences announce new tournament to kill NIT

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: FOX + 3 P5 conferences announce new tournament to kill N

Postby Ali » April 6th, 2024, 9:52 am

The issue is the timing of it and the portal being open during it. I wonder if there will be NIL prize money associated with participation? That could change things dramatically.
Ali
All MVC
All MVC

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby ReZyNeZy » April 6th, 2024, 6:36 pm

Ali wrote:The issue is the timing of it and the portal being open during it. I wonder if there will be NIL prize money associated with participation? That could change things dramatically.

That would be illegal considering that would be considered an "incentive" which is not allowed.
ReZyNeZy
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby Bulldog2323 » April 28th, 2024, 4:03 pm

FOX is clearly trying to show they can air post-season basketball so they can bid for the NCAA when it comes up. FOX also just restructured its NASCAR deal to be able to force more racing onto FS1 to open up air time for basketball on the main network in March.

The NCAA put in a lot of capital into the NIT this year. I have to assume they were very upset at the opt outs.

My belief is the next move the NCAA will propose is we'll expand the NCAA Tournament to 80 if everyone gives up on non-NCAA Tournament postseasons.

I'm pretty surprised this has gotten this far and wouldn't be surprised at all if this gets shut down before a single game is played.
Bulldog2323
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Previous

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball