FOX + 3 P5 conferences announce new tournament to kill NIT

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Postby MissouriValleyUnite » April 3rd, 2024, 2:04 pm

https://www.foxsports.com/stories/colle ... ball-crown

FOX Sports and AEG are launching the College Basketball Crown, a 16-team men's postseason tournament, which will begin in Spring 2025. The event will feature competitive postseason matchups from select conferences, bringing college hoops fans even more compelling storylines during the most exciting time on the college basketball calendar.

The inaugural tournament will feature schools from the Big Ten, Big 12 and Big East, in addition to at-large participants. The event will take place from March 31 to April 6 at MGM Grand Garden Arena and T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas and will air on FOX and FS1.

Teams that did not participate in the NCAA Tournament will be eligible for the event, with two automatic qualifiers coming from each participating conference, and additional teams chosen by a select committee.
MissouriValleyUnite
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: FOX + 3 P5 conferences announce new tournament to kill N

Postby ReZyNeZy » April 3rd, 2024, 2:09 pm

Jeez, there are like 30 or so post-season tournaments these days. Doubt this one is going to get a whole lot of viewership. Another CIT and CBI situation.
ReZyNeZy
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby unipanther99 » April 4th, 2024, 8:04 am

So lets say you're a Valley team that finishes 27-5 and just misses the NCAA tournament. You're invited to both the NIT and this tournament... What do you do?
unipanther99
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby BCPanther » April 4th, 2024, 8:13 am

unipanther99 wrote:So lets say you're a Valley team that finishes 27-5 and just misses the NCAA tournament. You're invited to both the NIT and this tournament... What do you do?

The new tournament. The TV is way better and it doesn't last for a month.
BCPanther
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Mikovio » April 4th, 2024, 8:16 am

Fox sucks. But didn't the NIT just agree to give 2 autobids to the P5 conferences, no matter how terrible those teams are? And they're still not satisfied? I hope the NCAA/NIT rescinds that rule change.
Mikovio
All MVC
All MVC

Postby BEARZ77 » April 4th, 2024, 8:29 am

I kinda think this could be good for MM; further separation yes, but still good. This tournament is gonna have P-5 also rans, let the NIT become the showcase for the best MM/LM that got snubbed. NIT is drawing some interest this year , largely thanks to ISU, but play off that and promote it . I'd drop the NIT down to 16, keep it all non p5 . Make it a high level MM showcase
The Bear is the largest carnivore on the North American continent; beware the Bear!
BEARZ77
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby PretzelDawg » April 4th, 2024, 8:48 am

My wife and I were in Las Vegas last week, and I was sharing with her how fun I thought a one week 16-team postseason tournament in Vegas would be. Glad to see this happening. Too bad it is the week after our Spring Break next year; otherwise, I would highly consider going. However, if SIU plays in this tourney, I can see myself going for a week.
PretzelDawg
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby Adunk33 » April 4th, 2024, 9:34 am

unipanther99 wrote:So lets say you're a Valley team that finishes 27-5 and just misses the NCAA tournament. You're invited to both the NIT and this tournament... What do you do?

I took the whole, "participants from the Big Ten, Big 12 and Big East, in addition to At-Larges," as this is a P5 only event with maybe some Mountain West teams, to drive attendance.
Adunk33
All MVC
All MVC

Postby BUFanatic » April 4th, 2024, 11:21 pm

NIT. Much like my Irish remaining Indy in football I think we need to stand by the one that brung us (BU and MVC) and support the old girl. Hopefully she’ll get back to her old self once the NCAA blows up worse than the Big East.
BUFanatic
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby FunchessonPopcorn » April 5th, 2024, 8:52 am

BUFanatic wrote:

NIT. Much like my Irish remaining Indy in football I think we need to stand by the one that brung us (BU and MVC) and support the old girl. Hopefully she’ll get back to her old self once the NCAA blows up worse than the Big East.

Absolutely. I’d be boycotting that tourney. Would be almost a whole month layoff to play like the 15th best team in the Big 10. How would you fend off the portal stuff that long?
FunchessonPopcorn
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Next

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball