Who will Angie Lansing Hire as Indiana State's Next Coach?

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Who will Angie Lansing Hire as Indiana State's Next Coach?

Poll ended at April 12th, 2024, 3:15 pm

Tom Crean
5%
Jim Crutchfield
No votes
Matt Graves
37%
Terry Johnson
No votes
Matt Langel
No votes
Bob Huggins
No votes
Gregg Marshall
5%
Greg Lansing
16%
Michael Menser
No votes
Other
37%

Total votes : 19

Re: Who will Angie Lansing Hire as Indiana State's Next Coac

Postby PretzelDawg » April 7th, 2024, 7:05 pm

Keep in mind the Indiana State fans are more unique than other schools in that they played for a national championship. Even though it was years ago, there is an uppity feeling that goes along with this. Many believed Schertz was once again taking them to the promised land. However, if I was coaching a team that had a great season and had to settle for playing in an NIT championship game instead of making an NCAA Tournament run, I would be looking at another school too. As soon as Schertz turns around St. Louis U (he will, as SLU never stays down for long), he will be coaching a Power Five school. He is just making one extra stop along the way.
PretzelDawg
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby FunchessonPopcorn » April 8th, 2024, 8:03 am

PretzelDawg wrote:Keep in mind the Indiana State fans are more unique than other schools in that they played for a national championship. Even though it was years ago, there is an uppity feeling that goes along with this. Many believed Schertz was once again taking them to the promised land. However, if I was coaching a team that had a great season and had to settle for playing in an NIT championship game instead of making an NCAA Tournament run, I would be looking at another school too. As soon as Schertz turns around St. Louis U (he will, as SLU never stays down for long), he will be coaching a Power Five school. He is just making one extra stop along the way.

Yes, as a move that sets up the move, it’s solid tactically. SLU has had enough recent struggle and had enough money to make it a safe next step in D1, and he’ll still be the hot name in a few years when he leaves them.
FunchessonPopcorn
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby BCPanther » April 8th, 2024, 8:17 am

PretzelDawg wrote:Keep in mind the Indiana State fans are more unique than other schools in that they played for a national championship. Even though it was years ago, there is an uppity feeling that goes along with this. Many believed Schertz was once again taking them to the promised land. However, if I was coaching a team that had a great season and had to settle for playing in an NIT championship game instead of making an NCAA Tournament run, I would be looking at another school too. As soon as Schertz turns around St. Louis U (he will, as SLU never stays down for long), he will be coaching a Power Five school. He is just making one extra stop along the way.

And he just increased his salary 9x to do it.
BCPanther
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Kyle_Saluki_17 » April 8th, 2024, 8:46 am

BCPanther wrote:

And he just increased his salary 9x to do it.

Most people would take a $50k pay bump to leave their company. Yet, Indiana State fans are mad at a guy taking a $1.65 MILLION pay bump. It really is absurd.
Kyle_Saluki_17
All MVC
All MVC

Postby municup14 » April 8th, 2024, 9:25 am

Wondering if Shertz is thinking he jumped the gun on SLU.I don't think Kentucky would have given him a chance because they have go have a high profile name coach but you never know.
municup14
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby SalukiWorld » April 8th, 2024, 10:24 am

municup14 wrote:Wondering if Shertz is thinking he jumped the gun on SLU.I don't think Kentucky would have given him a chance because they have go have a high profile name coach but you never know.

No chance Kentucky is hiring a guy that's never been to the NCAA Tournament yet. Schertz will likely have success at SLU and parlay that into a bigger job at some point.
SalukiWorld
All MVC
All MVC

Postby dean_siu » April 8th, 2024, 1:28 pm

Indiana State would be wise to try and get a deal done with Chris Lowery though before Kentucky comes calling him.
dean_siu
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby Drakey » April 8th, 2024, 2:29 pm

dean_siu wrote:Indiana State would be wise to try and get a deal done with Chris Lowery though before Kentucky comes calling him.

I think lowery is the frontrunner for the Kentucky job.
Drakey
All MVC
All MVC

Postby BCPanther » April 8th, 2024, 3:28 pm

Drakey wrote:
dean_siu wrote:Indiana State would be wise to try and get a deal done with Chris Lowery though before Kentucky comes calling him.

I think lowery is the frontrunner for the Kentucky job.

Yep. They're bringing Oats in as his top assistant. Oats has wanted to work for Lowery for over a decade so that he can really learn how to coach 'em up, (I mean drive a program into the ground and leave them in APR hell.)
BCPanther
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby PretzelDawg » April 9th, 2024, 9:16 am

Is APR even a thing anymore? I never hear anyone talk about it. I would imagine with all these portal changes that some places would have APR issues, but we get crickets instead.
PretzelDawg
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball