WSU gets 2013 juco PF Earl Watson

A place to discuss tomorrow's MVC stars.

Postby RoyalShock » September 14th, 2011, 2:36 pm

From twitter:

@ebosshoops
Eric Bossi

Wichita State has gotten an intriguing commitment. Earl Watson a 6-7 freshman forward at Chipola junior college in Florida.

@ebosshoops
Eric Bossi

Watson is an athletic 240 pounder who has been drawing rave reviews from schools in to see him early. Could be an impact MVC guy.
RoyalShock
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: WSU gets 2013 juco PF Earl Watson

Postby Aargh » September 14th, 2011, 11:25 pm

Scouting services rate him a high-major recruit. I can't link those reports because they're subscriber info.

His stats aren't likely to be real impressive because Chipola is absolutely loaded in the front court this year. They've got something like 3 top-150 types in their front court this year. WSU has Chipola's former head coach (Heiar) on the staff and a former assistant (Ford) on the staff.

Chipola has previously provided Hannah and this year Carl Hall to WSU. That connection is continuing and Chipola looks to be be building a perennial NJCAA championship contender.

I'm not big fan of JuCo's, but WSU is likely to be getting a steady stream of them. Watson is 6'7" and 240 and he's a Freshman. He's described as "athletic". "Athletic" and "needs some conditioning" aren't often used to describe the same player, so he's probably a legitimate wide body. He's been described as possessing a wide body and knowing how to use it around the basket.

I'm not fond of JuCo's, but I'll take two years of what Watson could bring. It might be noted that in 2013-14, WSU will have Watson and another Jr (Jake White) who was a Parade AA competing for minutes at PF.

The chances (small) of getting another PF who would be a So that year (Perry Ellis) are improving. The WSU home visit included video of Antoine Carr's Sr night when his jersey was hung from the rafters. Antoine went to the same HS that Perry Ellis attends.
Aargh
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Little Eddie » September 15th, 2011, 6:28 am

JUCO's are simply necessary sometimes...specifically when you have more than 3 seniors to replace from a team as you would prefer to keep your classes evened out 3 frosh, 3 soph, 3 jun, 3 seniors and one more in one of the classes (maybe a redshirt). Or sometimes you miss on the high school position players you want/need and then have to go the JUCO route in order not to have a drop in production from the position (like if two forwards graduated and you needed to replace them w/ someone ready to contribute right away). Just sayin' it's not the greatest option maybe but sometimes it's a necessary evil.
Little Eddie
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby RoyalShock » September 15th, 2011, 7:04 am

Aargh, a couple of corrections. I believe assistant coach Jans was also at Chipola. And it is Malcolm Armstead, not Carl Hall, who played there. Hall was at NW Florida.
RoyalShock
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby Khan4Cats » September 15th, 2011, 7:56 am

Seems like an intriguing player but the question I have is why wait two years for him? Players go to jucos for one of two reasons: their academics are not in order or they need to try and improve their stock to land a scholarship. Sounds like he has the tools for the scholly already so it is likely he just needs to prove his academic worth. Is he in that bad a shape that he needs two years at a juco to straighten them up? Why not get him the one year, get his scores up and get him up to WSU for three seasons?
Khan4Cats
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Haha » September 15th, 2011, 8:02 am

He was not a qualifier.

I do wonder though if Chipola has a loaded front court why not red shirt him. That way when he graduates after 2 years there he will have 3 years of eligibility left.
Haha
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Aargh » September 15th, 2011, 10:23 am

Haha wrote:He was not a qualifier.

I do wonder though if Chipola has a loaded front court why not red shirt him. That way when he graduates after 2 years there he will have 3 years of eligibility left.

Chipola might not want to pay for two years of scholarships for one year of playing.
Aargh
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby RoyalShock » September 15th, 2011, 10:24 am

Khan4Cats wrote:Seems like an intriguing player but the question I have is why wait two years for him? Players go to jucos for one of two reasons: their academics are not in order or they need to try and improve their stock to land a scholarship. Sounds like he has the tools for the scholly already so it is likely he just needs to prove his academic worth. Is he in that bad a shape that he needs two years at a juco to straighten them up? Why not get him the one year, get his scores up and get him up to WSU for three seasons?

If you're not a qualifier out of high/prep school, you must get your 2-year degree before becoming academically eligible for D1 competition.
RoyalShock
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby Haha » September 15th, 2011, 11:17 am

Aargh wrote:

Chipola might not want to pay for two years of scholarships for one year of playing.

I get that, but if he isn't playing much do to a loaded front court anyways then why not?

Three Rivers did it with EO so anything is possible.
Haha
All MVC
All MVC

Postby DoubleJayAlum » September 15th, 2011, 12:29 pm

Haha wrote:
Aargh wrote:

I get that, but if he isn't playing much do to a loaded front court anyways then why not?

Three Rivers did it with EO so anything is possible.

Chipola is a basketball factory; Three Rivers is not.
DoubleJayAlum
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Next

Return to MVC Basketball Recruiting