Competition

A place to discuss tomorrow's MVC stars.

Competition

Postby Valley_Fan » October 17th, 2013, 8:35 pm

This occurred to me while looking at recruiting. Creighton always went head to head with valley schools for 2 and 3 star players. They pulled some from MO and IA, among others. Now, CU has changed who they recruit, reducing competition for the Midwest 2-star players. How will that affect your recruiting? We are only talking about 2 or 3 guys a year, but UNI, Drake, or MSU taking those players now would greatly change the dynamic. How does that impact the valley compared to wcc or horizon?
Valley_Fan
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Competition

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Competition

Postby Aargh » October 18th, 2013, 8:57 am

Can't tell if serious - looks like another CU fan out here trolling.

So, now that CU is in a different conference they're going to change their recruiting to 3* and 4* guys? McDermott was unsuccessful with that when he was in one of the actual power conferences.

McDermott's recruiting contacts produce 2* and 3* guys from Iowa and Missouri. I'm skeptical that McDermott is going to instantly transform into a guy who recruits 3* and 4* guys from the East Coast because of the conference he's in.

A big attraction for players to play in the former Big East was the chance to play against Louisville, Syracuse, Connecticut, and Notre Dame. That attraction is gone. I suspect McDermott will continue recruiting exactly the same types of players and areas he's recruited his entire coaching career.
Aargh
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Valley_Fan » October 18th, 2013, 12:22 pm

Aargh wrote:Can't tell if serious - looks like another CU fan out here trolling.

So, now that CU is in a different conference they're going to change their recruiting to 3* and 4* guys? McDermott was unsuccessful with that when he was in one of the actual power conferences.

McDermott's recruiting contacts produce 2* and 3* guys from Iowa and Missouri. I'm skeptical that McDermott is going to instantly transform into a guy who recruits 3* and 4* guys from the East Coast because of the conference he's in.

A big attraction for players to play in the former Big East was the chance to play against Louisville, Syracuse, Connecticut, and Notre Dame. That attraction is gone. I suspect McDermott will continue recruiting exactly the same types of players and areas he's recruited his entire coaching career.

Seriously not trolling. Not saying they will get any of the people they are after, but most of their attention is on the 3 and 4* players out on the east coast and in Texas. You know as I do they cannot compete in the BE with 1 and 2* players anymore, they have to get the bigger fish or they will be the bottom feeders.

It's not McD leading the recruiting anymore, its the new guy Sellers (formerly of UCONN) who is getting Creighton in on all the big players.

I don't see any impact on WSU as your recruiting is already there. But MSU lost out of Dingman and Tollivar, Drake and UNI obviously lost out on some good Iowa players. Seems to me spreading the wealth will be good for the valley as a whole.
Valley_Fan
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby Valley_Fan » October 19th, 2013, 7:49 am

Then as soon as I say that Creighton and Bradley go head-to-head for Josh Cunningham. Cunningham is highly rated though, so I was half right.
Valley_Fan
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby Redbird Recon » October 19th, 2013, 8:53 am

Valley_Fan wrote:Then as soon as I say that Creighton and Bradley go head-to-head for Josh Cunningham. Cunningham is highly rated though, so I was half right.

Cunningham would be a monster in The Valley or the Big Priest.
Twitter: @RedbirdRecon
Blog: redbirdrecon.blogspot.com
Redbird Recon
All MVC
All MVC

Postby uniftw » October 19th, 2013, 3:32 pm

I hope Creighton gives up on the Iowa guys....makes UNI owning the state of Iowa for recruits that much easier.

UNI is crushing Iowa, Iowa State, and Drake for the top players in Iowa right now.
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Aargh » October 20th, 2013, 9:29 pm

UNI is building their program the right way. Get some national exposure. Retain a top-flight coach. Get at least a good reputation in your recruiting areas.

I think Jacobsen can take UNI further than McDermott would have taken them.
Aargh
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby TheDrake » October 21st, 2013, 7:30 am

uniftw wrote:I hope Creighton gives up on the Iowa guys....makes UNI owning the state of Iowa for recruits that much easier.

UNI is crushing Iowa, Iowa State, and Drake for the top players in Iowa right now.

Well the best player in the 2014 IA class who held offers from UNI and Creighton committed to Drake. I would say that the longer Giacoletti is here the better Drake is going to do in in-state recruiting.
TheDrake
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby uniftw » October 21st, 2013, 9:37 am

TheDrake wrote:
uniftw wrote:I hope Creighton gives up on the Iowa guys....makes UNI owning the state of Iowa for recruits that much easier.

Well the best player in the 2014 IA class who held offers from UNI and Creighton committed to Drake. I would say that the longer Giacoletti is here the better Drake is going to do in in-state recruiting.

Kory Keunstling - only offer of any kind was Drake and he took it

Casey Schlatter held offers from Drake, Rice, and Creighton as of his comitment with a lot of talk that the Creighton offer wasn't really there anymore....

Currently have offers out there but both went elsewhere

Reed Tellinghuisen who has offers from Albany, Belmont, SDSU, NDSU, and UN-O...he picked SDSU

Nate Gehring - Truman State, MN State Mankato, Albana, SDSU, Ppperdine (accepted), Northern Colorado, Oakland, South Dakota, Colgate, Miami (OH), North Dakota, North Dakota State, Toledo

Really pulling in big time recruits I see.

I'll also point out that Wyatt Lohous (a UNI commit) is the top rated player in the state of Iowa for 2014). Also pointing out that UNI had only 1 scholarship for 2014. They pulled their offers from everyone when Wyatt comitted, and he was the player that the staff really wanted.
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby uniftw » October 21st, 2013, 9:46 am

Just for fun I looked at 2015 class

UNI has picked up a commitment from the #2 player Luke McDonnell who has said that him and his best friend from the AAU circut really want to play college ball together....his buddy? The #1 player in the state of Iowa Brady Ernst. Both are 6'9 post players and with Drake pulling a post player in the 2014 class from Iowa (I don't know about from other states) along with 4 other post players that are soph or freshman this year it will be tough to pull Ernst into Des Moines
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Next

Return to MVC Basketball Recruiting