Aces add 2014JC PF Willie Wiley

A place to discuss tomorrow's MVC stars.

Postby stl scooter » March 30th, 2014, 11:10 am

Gave his verbal today. 2 years remaining eligibility.

6'7" 215# Averaged 13.6 ppg, 54.5 fg%, 8.3 rgp, 1.6 bpg.
The preceding lesson in basketball is free of charge.
stl scooter
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Aces add 2014JC PF Willie Wiley

Postby UE 71 » March 30th, 2014, 12:54 pm

UE has filled two major weakness points with two Spring commitments: a power forward with size and quickness who can both score and rebound, and a quick shooting guard who is capable of scoring 20-30 on any given night. With the addition of Nova transfer Mislav at the small forward spot the Aces have more depth with quality players than any point in recent history. :bounce:
UE 71
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Redbird Recon » March 30th, 2014, 2:06 pm

Good get! I've watched this young man since his days in high school.
I really like what Marty is doing; should be a great frontcourt complement to EM.
Twitter: @RedbirdRecon
Blog: redbirdrecon.blogspot.com
Redbird Recon
All MVC
All MVC

Postby havoc » March 31st, 2014, 9:53 am

Redbird Recon wrote:Good get! I've watched this young man since his days in high school.
I really like what Marty is doing; should be a great frontcourt complement to EM.

Why didn't the Illinois MVC schools go after this kid much?
havoc
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby PantherSigEp » March 31st, 2014, 10:19 am

UE 71 wrote:UE has filled two major weakness points with two Spring commitments...and a quick shooting guard who is capable of scoring 20-30 on any given night.

Did I miss something? Haven't they had a few of these for the past 10 or so years?
[Insert snappy comeback]
PantherSigEp
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby tribecalledquest » March 31st, 2014, 2:01 pm

havoc wrote:
Redbird Recon wrote:Good get! I've watched this young man since his days in high school.

I can't speak for ISU, SIU or Loyola.

However Bradley does not accept any PE/Health/etc. type credits for JUCO transfers. Bradley does not have those majors on campus. As a result, any classes a kid takes at a JUCO in that discipline are not transferable. It's a real pain in the ass in recruiting JUCO kids and one I wish BU would change.

Wiley was a good enough student GPA wise but would have to take about 9-12 summer credits to cancel out his PE/Health ones and wasn't worth it to him. Don't blame him.
tribecalledquest
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby UE 71 » March 31st, 2014, 11:08 pm

PantherSigEp wrote:
UE 71 wrote:UE has filled two major weakness points with two Spring commitments...and a quick shooting guard who is capable of scoring 20-30 on any given night.

Did I miss something? Haven't they had a few of these for the past 10 or so years?

Mostly only one at a time. Now UE has two outside threats from beyond the arc at the guard position. While Simmons is an outside shooter, he's more of a catch the pass and shoot from a fixed position from the corner. The prior year's team did have Ned Cox who could certainly hit the three, but there was a need to have another shooter on the current team to take the pressure off Balentine. Next year the Valley will have to contend with three 3-point shooters on the floor at one time or when Balentine gets a breather his replacement can drain them. Also, we can run a 3-guard offense with a point and two shooters rather then only one shooter and a slasher or two slashers to go with Balentine.

Adding the JUCO forward will also change the play along the baseline and in the paint with another rebounder on the floor who can shoot the 15 footer ala Kenny Harris only taller and about 30 pounds heavier. These were holes that needed filling, especially the 3-4 spot. The Nova transfer will provide strong help at the 3-4 slot too. You will see a vastly different Aces team next year.
UE 71
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Cdizzle » April 1st, 2014, 3:46 pm

UE 71 wrote:
PantherSigEp wrote:

Mostly only one at a time.

Not trying to poke holes in things, but weren't Balentine and Ryan on the same team? That's two guys that could drop 20-40 on any given night, but it didn't really translate to much.

At this point I pretty much believe that until the system changes, Evansville is playing to put a player on the 1st Team, and to avoid Thursday night.....every year.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Redbird Recon » April 1st, 2014, 6:15 pm

havoc wrote:

In ISUred's case, we already have two forwards in the incoming class.
I also think we're trying to move away from recruiting jucos as much as we have been.
Twitter: @RedbirdRecon
Blog: redbirdrecon.blogspot.com
Redbird Recon
All MVC
All MVC

Postby stl scooter » April 7th, 2014, 4:18 pm

Wiley was named 1st team all-american per his coach on twitter @vucoach

Congrats Willie!!!
The preceding lesson in basketball is free of charge.
stl scooter
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Return to MVC Basketball Recruiting