WSU trying to cash in on recruiting with recent success

A place to discuss tomorrow's MVC stars.

Re: WSU trying to cash in on recruiting with recent success

Postby PantherSigEp » August 28th, 2014, 10:26 pm

mvcfan wrote:10/12/2014 Kerwin Roach Official
http://shockernet.net/forum/showthre...SG-6-3-Offered

You're telling me, on more than one occasion, someone has decided to name their child Kerwin? Interesting.
[Insert snappy comeback]
PantherSigEp
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby mvcfan » August 29th, 2014, 7:29 pm

PantherSigEp wrote:
mvcfan wrote:10/12/2014 Kerwin Roach Official
http://shockernet.net/forum/showthre...SG-6-3-Offered

You're telling me, on more than one occasion, someone has decided to name their child Kerwin? Interesting.

Why not? I like the name Kerwin. Come to Wichita Kerwin. You won't be sorry.
mvcfan
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Cdizzle » September 3rd, 2014, 8:27 am

WSU has a verbal from a 6'4" 2-guard from Missouri, Landry Shamet. Landry is a 4*, rated #87 in the country by Rivals.

Shamet visited WSU first and canceled his visits to KSU, Illinois and Colorado. This appears to be another case of WSU getting in on a recruit before he grew and blew up on the AAU circuit.

He joins PF Eric Hamilton, who the Shox have stashed at a Wichita prep school, in the class of 2015. WSU graduates 2 in 2015, so technically all scholarships are spoken for. It would appear that the recruitment of guards continues. I think Marshall is planning on not having Ron Baker for his senior season.

http://www.kansas.com/sports/college/wi ... 17886.html
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby agrinut » September 3rd, 2014, 8:47 am

Shamet will be a good player in the valley! Nice grab for GM.
agrinut
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Cdizzle » September 3rd, 2014, 9:52 am

Hopefully he will be a good player at the highest level of D1 bball. Time will tell.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Wufan » September 3rd, 2014, 11:28 am

Wufan wrote:I fully expect 1 top 100ish wing in Wichita next fall. The chance's of landing a top 50ish recruit is 50/50 in my book. I do not expect to land a consensus AA or to load up on top 100s, nor do I expect any top 100 bigs, but a top 150 is in scope.

And we got the top 100 wing in Wichita next fall. Toot, toot!
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Wufan » September 23rd, 2014, 5:43 pm

Roach (#34 per Rivals) has cut his list to 3 schools. WSU still being considered along with Cal and Texas. Lists his relationship with Greg Heiar and Fred Van Vleet as the reason he is considering WSU.

WSU had an in home visit with 6-8 wing Markis McDuffie last week and he has an official planned to WSU this weekend. He is ranked #91 by ESPN and has a list of 4 schools including WSU, BC, SMU, and VCU.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Aargh » September 23rd, 2014, 11:45 pm

The recruitment of Roach is interesting. Texas has a couple of future NBA guys in their backcourt and has a commitment from a player very much like Roach. Cotton is graduating. Baker is a redshirt Jr., likely to have his degree in hand this spring, and a projected 1st round draft pick. WSU holds the playing time card.

Texas is thought to be the leader, and they are putting about 100% of their recruiting effort into maintaining that position.

Roach is a serious student and wants to go into Computer Engineering. WSU has recently beefed up their Computer Science department into a respectable program and has had an outstanding engineering program for 60 years, thanks to the local aircraft industry.

WSU is undergoing about a $300 mill upgrade that will convert an on-campus golf course into an Innovation Campus focusing on combining technology with engineering. This is being done with mostly private funding and will have on-campus businesses working with students in engineering, technology, and business to prepare those students for their future careers, instead of just giving them the typical academic education.

I'm skeptical that we get Roach, but we are in a position to go head-to-toe with Texas for a top-40 player out of Texas and we can compete on educational opportunity as well as our basketball program.

VanVleet might be able to deliver Roach. VanVleet is a very special person. Probably every non-thug, non gangsta-wanna-be, HS PG wants to be Fred VanVleet. What he's done for himself, his school, his community, and the players around him is something I've never seen from a player in the 50+ years I've been following college basketball. To say that Fred is intense and focused is like saying the sun is bright. A recruit who sees that and likes it is unlikely to find anything similar anywhere else.
Aargh
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Wufan » October 26th, 2014, 2:03 pm

Wufan wrote:
agrinut wrote:
Wufan wrote:Gregg Marshall has put offers on the table to 14 top 100 players from the class of 2015. The most notable are listed below:

Alonzo Trier, 6-3, Rivals #12
Dwayne Bacon, 6-6, Rivals #22
PJ Dozier, 6-6, Rivals #40

Thus far there are also six offers out to top 60 players in the class of 2016 (Seventh Woods is Rivals #12) and two to top 25 players in the class of 2017 (Per Future150 Mitchell Ballock is a Kansan and #22, Michael Porter is from Mizzu and #3).

It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

Do you expect to land any of these kids? I know that sounds condescending, just wondering if any of them will be in Wichita next fall.

I fully expect 1 top 100ish wing in Wichita next fall. The chance's of landing a top 50ish recruit is 50/50 in my book. I do not expect to land a consensus AA or to load up on top 100s, nor do I expect any top 100 bigs, but a top 150 is in scope.

By taking the highest ranking between Scout, ESPN, and Rivals, we landed top 200 stretch forward Eric Hamilton, 6-9, 220; top 150 PG Tyrone Taylor, 6-3, 170; top 100 SG Landry Shamet, 6-4, 185, and top 100 wing forward 6-8, 195 Markis McDuffie.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby COUTEAU » November 1st, 2014, 1:12 pm

So, will this kid end up playing for SHOX?

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketb ... p-transfer
COUTEAU
MVC starter
MVC starter

PreviousNext

Return to MVC Basketball Recruiting