Salukis get first 2020 commitment

A place to discuss tomorrow's MVC stars.

Re: Salukis get first 2020 commitment

Postby tribecalledquest » April 23rd, 2020, 1:25 pm

Salukimadness86 wrote:
tribecalledquest wrote:[quote="Saluki1990"
Seriously tribe why did you like Barry so much ?

You are totally missing my point every time. It's ok. Good luck to all MVC schools. Everyone is excited about their new recruits and everyone thinks they will be difference makers.

Avoiding the question cuz? LOL! Go Dawgs! :Cheers:[/quote]

I didn't like Barry that much. But you have shown no evidence that Bryan Mullins is getting magically better players than Barry. Just because someone commits to SIU it doesn't make them awesome. You act like every SIU recruit is some standout dude that only Bryan Mullins could get.

Having hope and wanting a change is one thing. But holding one guy to a different standard than the other isn't fair.
tribecalledquest
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Dawgbit » April 23rd, 2020, 1:40 pm

Given that SIU was picked to finish last in the MVC, and they ended 5th, I would say calling Bryan Mullin an overachiever is justified.
Dawgbit
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby BEARZ77 » April 23rd, 2020, 3:30 pm

siudawgs wrote:Not a very sharp post. SIU has won more than its share of recruiting battles this spring (got Verplancken over Loyola, Muila over Missouri State, D'Avanzo over Drake+DePaul, etc.). And we'll see what they do with the two remaining rides.

As for the DII angle, worked out pretty well for Loyola with Tate Hall last year. As the power conferences increasingly poach midmajor talent, midmajors recruiting top DII players seems to be part of the new recruiting landscape. I don't love all the transferring by any stretch, but DIIs transferring up seems to be an emerging trend.

Talk about "not a very sharp post" Mulia was offered a chance to come in and back up Gage Prim at MSU or he could be the main guy at SIU. So If you want to call that a recruiting win go for it. And those other recruiting battles are similar, which is what tribe was referring to. No one is saying these guys can't contribute, but some of you are acting like guys who were being offered filler roles elsewhere were major recruiting wins for top level prospects. I like Mullins and think he'll get as much as possible out of these late pickups, and no doubt some will probably achieve beyond their ratings, that happens. But if you look at your own board it's clear these were backup plans to guys he wanted and pursued earlier. Now everyone has to do that to a degree, you don't get everyone you want, so no big deal. It's when you try to sell late back up plan commits as being part of a superior master plan that people just laugh at you.
The Bear is the largest carnivore on the North American continent; beware the Bear!
BEARZ77
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby siudawgs » April 23rd, 2020, 3:39 pm

BEARZ77 wrote:
siudawgs wrote:Not a very sharp post. SIU has won more than its share of recruiting battles this spring (got Verplancken over Loyola, Muila over Missouri State, D'Avanzo over Drake+DePaul, etc.). And we'll see what they do with the two remaining rides.

As for the DII angle, worked out pretty well for Loyola with Tate Hall last year. As the power conferences increasingly poach midmajor talent, midmajors recruiting top DII players seems to be part of the new recruiting landscape. I don't love all the transferring by any stretch, but DIIs transferring up seems to be an emerging trend.

Talk about "not a very sharp post" Mulia was offered a chance to come in and back up Gage Prim at MSU or he could be the main guy at SIU. So If you want to call that a recruiting win go for it. And those other recruiting battles are similar, which is what tribe was referring to. No one is saying these guys can't contribute, but some of you are acting like guys who were being offered filler roles elsewhere were major recruiting wins for top level prospects. I like Mullins and think he'll get as much as possible out of these late pickups, and no doubt some will probably achieve beyond their ratings, that happens. But if you look at your own board it's clear these were backup plans to guys he wanted and pursued earlier. Now everyone has to do that to a degree, you don't get everyone you want, so no big deal. It's when you try to sell late back up plan commits as being part of a superior master plan that people just laugh at you.

1. Who the hell has a superior master plan in recruiting these days? It's chaos.
2. Pretty sure SIU targeted Muila for months; he was not a "late backup plan."
3. As for DII transfers like Verplancken (again, offered by Loyola) and D'Avanzo (offered by DePaul, Drake and others), of course they didn't spend months recruiting them because they didn't know they were looking to transfer. The transfer portal makes for some fast and furious recruitments.

I'm not saying SIU's class of 2020 recruiting haul has been extraordinary, but it has been pretty strong, IMO, especially when you add in a couple nice guards they signed in the fall. And I also think Mullins has been getting guys who will play their a---- off, which will fit nicely with the kind of teams he will put on the floor.
siudawgs
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby BEARZ77 » April 23rd, 2020, 4:24 pm

Your last paragraph is probably spot on. Good luck in the coming year and I am a Mullins fan, was very gald to see him get the SIU job.
The Bear is the largest carnivore on the North American continent; beware the Bear!
BEARZ77
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Saluki1990 » April 23rd, 2020, 5:46 pm

I don't think anyone is acting like these players are world beaters. They are good hard working kids though. The issue isnt even the players. The issue is Bradley fans coming on every time siu gets mentioned and trashing us for some dumb reason. Maybe they should worry about their coach who made a student s*** himself and is a total asshat. Shocking how quickly they surpassed Wichita fans in arrogance.
Saluki1990
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby tribecalledquest » April 25th, 2020, 9:30 am

Saluki1990 wrote:I don't think anyone is acting like these players are world beaters. They are good hard working kids though. The issue isnt even the players. The issue is Bradley fans coming on every time siu gets mentioned and trashing us for some dumb reason. Maybe they should worry about their coach who made a student s*** himself and is a total asshat. Shocking how quickly they surpassed Wichita fans in arrogance.

You are the only that keeps wanting to make this a Bradley v. SIU thing. It never has been that.

It has been SIU fans slobbering over every recruit signed by Bryan Mullins when there is no evidence they are better players than what Barry Hinson signed. It's about SIU now vs SIU then. It's not about Bradley or any other school.

Was Barry mediocre? Of course. But there is also a double standard now in how excited SIU fans get about recruits compared to when Barry was there.
tribecalledquest
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Saluki1990 » April 26th, 2020, 9:12 am

tribecalledquest wrote:
Saluki1990 wrote:I don't think anyone is acting like these players are world beaters. They are good hard working kids though. The issue isnt even the players. The issue is Bradley fans coming on every time siu gets mentioned and trashing us for some dumb reason. Maybe they should worry about their coach who made a student s*** himself and is a total asshat. Shocking how quickly they surpassed Wichita fans in arrogance.

You are the only that keeps wanting to make this a Bradley v. SIU thing. It never has been that.

It has been SIU fans slobbering over every recruit signed by Bryan Mullins when there is no evidence they are better players than what Barry Hinson signed. It's about SIU now vs SIU then. It's not about Bradley or any other school.

Was Barry mediocre? Of course. But there is also a double standard now in how excited SIU fans get about recruits compared to when Barry was there.

Question why don't you think siu fans can be excited about anything. Why do you feel like it's your personal mission to down play anyone siu gets. I don't see other Bradley fans doing that. No one wants a Bradley vs siu thing. We just see the attitude that your fan base has and how you treat siu people. I wouldn't expect anymore from the homers in Peoria. You instantly became the worst fan base in the valley. Idk what's more fitting watching you get bumped first round of the NCAA tourney( after Loyola went to the final 4 ) or not getting to play at all. Either way you make people feel like you deserve it.
Saluki1990
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby tribecalledquest » April 26th, 2020, 11:30 am

Saluki1990 wrote:
tribecalledquest wrote:

Question why don't you think siu fans can be excited about anything. Why do you feel like it's your personal mission to down play anyone siu gets. I don't see other Bradley fans doing that. No one wants a Bradley vs siu thing. We just see the attitude that your fan base has and how you treat siu people. I wouldn't expect anymore from the homers in Peoria. You instantly became the worst fan base in the valley. Idk what's more fitting watching you get bumped first round of the NCAA tourney( after Loyola went to the final 4 ) or not getting to play at all. Either way you make people feel like you deserve it.

By "people" you mean you right?
tribecalledquest
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Previous

Return to MVC Basketball Recruiting