Valpo Recruits 2020

A place to discuss tomorrow's MVC stars.

Valpo Recruits 2020

Postby just ducky » February 27th, 2020, 8:26 pm

Without hype I'll just update our fall commitments.

Jacob Ognacevic 6'8" Sheboygan Lutheran WI
Connor Barrett 6'5" Brewster Academy
Sheldon Edwards 6'4" TLAP Sports FL

All look like they can be future contributors and the fanbase seems excited.
just ducky
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Valpo Recruits 2020

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Valpo Recruits 2020

Postby tribecalledquest » February 27th, 2020, 9:44 pm

just ducky wrote:Without hype I'll just update our fall commitments.

Where are Barrett and Edwards from originally?
tribecalledquest
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby just ducky » February 27th, 2020, 11:25 pm

tribecalledquest wrote:

Barrett --Loyola Academy 2019 Wilmette, Illinois. A shooter who suffered a foot stress fracture that slowed his senior season. Chose Brewster evidently to stay in the spotlight. Highly regarded but maybe not the greatest athlete.

Sheldon Edwards is a bit of a mystery. Purely speculation but he might have chosen prep school because of grades? The coaches were recruiting somebody else in Florida when this guy grabbed their attention instead. Palm Beach Lakes HS
We will have to wait and see how this one works out, but he looks like he can play.

Ognacevic had ISUb and UNI interest and is compiling extremely high small HS scoring numbers but it sounds like you may already know that.
just ducky
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby tribecalledquest » February 28th, 2020, 9:34 am

just ducky wrote:
tribecalledquest wrote:

Barrett --Loyola Academy 2019 Wilmette, Illinois. A shooter who suffered a foot stress fracture that slowed his senior season. Chose Brewster evidently to stay in the spotlight. Highly regarded but maybe not the greatest athlete.

Sheldon Edwards is a bit of a mystery. Purely speculation but he might have chosen prep school because of grades? The coaches were recruiting somebody else in Florida when this guy grabbed their attention instead. Palm Beach Lakes HS
We will have to wait and see how this one works out, but he looks like he can play.

Ognacevic had ISUb and UNI interest and is compiling extremely high small HS scoring numbers but it sounds like you may already know that.

Good deal. Barrett makes sense for sure.

This isn't Valpo specific - but Im skeptical of Prep School kids who also grew up quite a bit outside of the MVC footprint. I don't find that to be a recipe for success at this level. Stephan Gabriel, who was dismissed from Bradley earlier this year, fit this to a tee. Of course I'm sure there are exceptions but it isn't something I would want to do very often.
tribecalledquest
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby VUGrad1314 » March 3rd, 2020, 8:19 am

I don't think they recruited a lot of prep school kids but do you think this is a reason why Missouri State seems to struggle and why Illinois State is struggling right now? They have gone outside the footprint quite a bit.
VUGrad1314
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby tribecalledquest » March 3rd, 2020, 9:25 am

VUGrad1314 wrote:I don't think they recruited a lot of prep school kids but do you think this is a reason why Missouri State seems to struggle and why Illinois State is struggling right now? They have gone outside the footprint quite a bit.

IMO, Yes. Very much. I get it. They are often talented players. But there are reasons they are at Prep Schools (grades, unhappy with current HS, etc.). I just think, in general, prep school kids who go to mid major programs like the MVC have more baggage than most.
tribecalledquest
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby VUGrad1314 » March 3rd, 2020, 10:36 am

I know very little about Edwards but I haven't heard anything negative. I think Connor Barrett going to prep school for an injury is smart and a different case than most. For him the move made sense to land him an offer. He wasn't getting recruited his senior year due to the injury I understand.
VUGrad1314
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Return to MVC Basketball Recruiting