Drake picks up 4-star recruit

A place to discuss tomorrow's MVC stars.

Postby DUBulldog » October 12th, 2020, 6:05 pm

6'8" point guard/wing from Waukee IA. Picked Drake over Iowa State, Creighton, Florida and Oregon, among others.

Oh yeah. Helps that his dad is Drake's coach.

Welcome Tucker DeVries!
DUBulldog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Drake picks up 4-star recruit

Postby Adunk33 » October 13th, 2020, 9:27 am

AJ Green type of situation? Congrats on the big get. 6'8 PG in the MVC is going to be a real problem for the MVC.

What was the feeling at Drake? Was this kind of a sure thing throughout his recruitment or was this a surprise to fans?
Adunk33
All MVC
All MVC

Postby TheDrake » October 13th, 2020, 9:37 am

Adunk33 wrote:AJ Green type of situation? Congrats on the big get. 6'8 PG in the MVC is going to be a real problem for the MVC.

What was the feeling at Drake? Was this kind of a sure thing throughout his recruitment or was this a surprise to fans?

I felt pretty good about beating out Oregon and Iowa State but Creighton had me worried. He spent most of his childhood going to Creighton games and by all accounts has a good relationship with McDermott. Really glad to have him on board.
TheDrake
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Drakey » October 13th, 2020, 9:46 am

We were nervous. Not sure he will be a point guard in college. Also not sure what that even means any more. We have a real good point guard who missed most of last season and who will be a sophomore this year in Joseph Yesufu. Going to be hard to keep him out of the lineup.
Drakey
All MVC
All MVC

Postby sivert » October 13th, 2020, 11:00 am

Love it. Will be some good games. Great for Drake and the MVC!
Go Panthers!!
sivert
All MVC
All MVC

Postby DUBulldog » October 13th, 2020, 3:02 pm

I was pretty confident through the whole process, but it was never a sure thing.

He just seemed to have such a good relationship with the current players, and the DeVries family (including extended family) seem very close knit.

Yeah, seriously doubt he'll play much point for Drake, but in the modern game there isn't necessarily a clear difference between a "point guard" and a "guard". In DeVries' system, a lot of different guys will share the ball handling duties.

He plays on an absolutely loaded high school team. One of his teammates, Payton Sandfort, committed to Iowa last week (3-star player). Per what he said when he committed to Iowa, I think Drake was his #2 pick.

Then, that team has two sophomores who might be better (eventually) than the 2 seniors. Sandfort's younger brother is 1, and a kid named Omaha Biliew (sp?) is the other. Biliew is ranked in the top 25 in the nation in his class by some services. The coach of the team is former Drake player and assistant coach, Justin Ohl. One of his assistants in the son of former Drake head coach Kurt Kanaskie (sorry Drakey :D )

I also wonder if DeVries is done growing yet. He was listed as 6'6" last year, and I've seen him described as anywhere up to 6'8" now.
DUBulldog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Majik45 » October 14th, 2020, 9:31 am

Great news for Drake, even if it is the Coach's son. As the saying goes, a rising tide lifts all boats, so always happy to see the other Valley teams get better players.
Majik45
All MVC
All MVC

Return to MVC Basketball Recruiting