Is Creighton University Playing Their Way Onto The Bubble?

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Is Creighton University Playing Their Way Onto The Bubbl

Postby Kyle » February 7th, 2012, 10:13 pm

This loss hurts might hurt UNI more than CU.
Kyle
All MVC
All MVC

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby jaybydna » February 7th, 2012, 10:29 pm

Ace Dad wrote:Not good for our marquee program to lose two in a row. Does this mean they have to get to the championship game of the tournament?

Really? This is what you have become? Always thought you were better than this. Welcome to isaso land.
jaybydna
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby bluejays89 » February 7th, 2012, 10:32 pm

Creighton was ranked 15th coming in to this game, so they will not fall onto the bubble unless they lose a couple more games. They have fallen into 7-10 range now which sucks!!
bluejays89
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby Ace Dad » February 7th, 2012, 11:01 pm

jaybydna wrote:
Ace Dad wrote:Not good for our marquee program to lose two in a row. Does this mean they have to get to the championship game of the tournament?

Really? This is what you have become? Always thought you were better than this. Welcome to isaso land.

What did I do now? I did not expect CU to lose two games in a row and to one of the lower tier teams like this. Mine was an innocent question. No disrespect, I used the word marquee.
There is no difference between basketball and life. Give both your best and ignore the "fans" on the sideline.
Ace Dad
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Snaggletooth » February 8th, 2012, 7:12 am

They have yet a little pad. For them to be on the bubble they would need to lose 3 of their next 5 for their RPI to drop into the upper 30/lower 40's. If that happens then the question would need to be asked what do they need to do in STL to insure an at-large bid.

But there is no way they lose 3 of their next 5. I expect they will win their next 5. They had their hiccup and they will right their ship on the game that matters most and it will be smooth sailing from here on out.
Snaggletooth
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Haha » February 8th, 2012, 7:36 am

jaybydna wrote:

Relax he can't help it. E-ville is only 1 more win away from being .500 against D1 competition this year. You would be excited too if you were a fan. Maybe post some nonsense as well.
Haha
All MVC
All MVC

Postby NeutralObserver » February 8th, 2012, 9:11 am

PricklyPete wrote:

I agree that losing to you isn't good for us. And we all know that Creighton is really struggling with a very tough game upcoming. But Creighton's RPI is still 21 which is better than WSU's. And CU is 3-1 vs Top 50 while WSU is 1-3. Who would be on the bubble if either team was on one?

A loss to WSU at home, your BracketBuster at home & at Indiana State which are all quite possible and you can play in the tourney WSU won last year.......................betcha if all of this comes into play that would be enough to sway the Big Dance panel & it would not be a good "last 10 games" issue either? The sure thing for the Jays took a serious hit last night.
NeutralObserver
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby DoubleJayAlum » February 8th, 2012, 9:43 am

Could be. Losing to a sub .500 club with an RPI of over 150 can have that effect...
DoubleJayAlum
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Kyle » February 8th, 2012, 11:19 am

Welcome to February under coach Mac.

UNI fans know all too well how burnt out players get under Mac. Having multiple players average 30+ MPG creates great chemistry early in the year, but results in weak legs come February and March.
Kyle
All MVC
All MVC

Postby DawgieStyle » February 8th, 2012, 11:32 am

Creighton isn't on the bubble.....yet.

What I mean by that is if they keep playing like this, they will be. That isn't to say I'm predicting Creighton to keep playing poorly. If anything, I believe the opposite will happen. I would say these games would be wake up calls to them and their coaching staff to refocus and get back to playing like they have the rest of the year. In some ways, it's not bad for teams to have some losses and gut check moments prior to the NCAA tourney that show them they aren't invincible and have things they need to work on and improve. We'll see.

I think the bigger worry at this point is how this could hurt seeding in the NCAA tournament. If they get back to playing like they were, play well in St. Louis they still have a shot at a high seed. If they remain a bit inconsistent through seasons end, then they need to start worrying about falling into the dreaded 7, 8, 9, 10 seed area.

In the past, other valley teams have gone through similar stretches where they lost some games they probably shouldn't have, and still made the tourney. I don't think Creighton is any different. Remember, the selection committee looks at the over all resume, not just a few games here and there. In that regards, Creighton is still pretty safe.
DawgieStyle
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball