Does the MVC Replace Creighton?

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Postby NJRedman » January 19th, 2013, 8:58 pm

If Creighton leaves for the new C7 league does the MVC replace them? And if so with who?

Can they get by without taking a new team?
NJRedman
MVC Walk On
MVC Walk On

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Does the MVC Replace Creighton?

Postby pafan » January 19th, 2013, 9:03 pm

I see you're a new poster, so I'll provide some reference material from the last couple months for just about every scenario imaginable in case you haven't read it:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2723
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2663
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2530
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2625
sad Evansville alum
pafan
MVC Valued Member
MVC Valued Member

Postby CBB_Fan » January 19th, 2013, 10:42 pm

The MVC probably would add another team to get to 10 (maybe 3 to get to 12). Most likely they'd try and get Saint Louis (ugh) or Dayton if they were left out of the C7 league.

However, I don't think the MVC could find an equal replacement to Creighton. An adequate replacement maybe, but the value of the Valley will go way down regardless.
CBB_Fan
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby saluki762 » January 20th, 2013, 9:50 am

CBB_Fan wrote:The MVC probably would add another team to get to 10 (maybe 3 to get to 12). Most likely they'd try and get Saint Louis (ugh) or Dayton if they were left out of the C7 league.

However, I don't think the MVC could find an equal replacement to Creighton. An adequate replacement maybe, but the value of the Valley will go way down regardless.

I know I say this over and over. Even if they are left out of the C7, the chances of Saint Louis coming to the MVC is less than 1%. The only way this becomes at all possible is if every single member of SLU's administration is replaced and the entire university makes a complete 180 in philosophy. This has nothing to do with basketball and is all about academics and targeted growth.
B=====D ( )
B=====D ( )
B=====D ( )
B=====D ( )
saluki762
All MVC
All MVC

Postby musiccitybulldog » January 20th, 2013, 10:04 am

Of course Creighton would be replaced, equal or not. Creighton happens to be a top Valley team this year. If Creighton leaves someone else assumes that spot and we will discuss and watch who ever that team is.
We are still enjoying MVC basketball years after Memphis, Louisville and Cincinnati left or others left.
The need for a conference and teams to fullfill the others teams/fan bases as competitors is much larger than any one team.

It was just a few years ago I remember seeing Marshall get a couple technicals at the MVC tournament and the team was struggling and I was thinking how things had changed at WSU. I watched the game yesterday with WSU beating #10 Creighton and thought how things have changed since 2008 for WSU.

With changes in the MVC (teams leaving and coming in) there will continue to be teams that do well, teams that struggle at times, new Larry Birds - Hershey Hawkins -Antoine Carrs, and teams that make the NCAA and gain attention.
musiccitybulldog
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby ptownbraves » January 20th, 2013, 10:07 am

CBB_Fan wrote:The MVC probably would add another team to get to 10 (maybe 3 to get to 12). Most likely they'd try and get Saint Louis (ugh) or Dayton if they were left out of the C7 league.

Why the "ugh" at St. Louis? The MVC would be lucky to have SLU. Sure, they're no Creighton, but programs tend to rise and fall every decade or two. I don't know that Creighton will be the dominant team they are now in 10 years.
ptownbraves
All MVC
All MVC

Postby CBB_Fan » January 20th, 2013, 10:10 am

ptownbraves wrote:Why the "ugh" at St. Louis? The MVC would be lucky to have SLU. Sure, they're no Creighton, but programs tend to rise and fall every decade or two. I don't know that Creighton will be the dominant team they are now in 10 years.

The "ugh" is not for the team (which is merely mediocre and probably will be a middle-level Valley team for eternity if they join), but for the fans and the associated history with that program. Not a lot of love for them.
CBB_Fan
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby ptownbraves » January 20th, 2013, 10:17 am

CBB_Fan wrote:
ptownbraves wrote:Why the "ugh" at St. Louis? The MVC would be lucky to have SLU. Sure, they're no Creighton, but programs tend to rise and fall every decade or two. I don't know that Creighton will be the dominant team they are now in 10 years.

The "ugh" is not for the team (which is merely mediocre and probably will be a middle-level Valley team for eternity if they join), but for the fans and the associated history with that program. Not a lot of love for them.

Just curious what it is you don't like about the fans and the history of the program. I'm a relatively new St. Louis resident so I don't know the backstory (but feel like I should if I'm missing something).
ptownbraves
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Haha » January 20th, 2013, 10:32 am

The saluki fan is right.

Saint Louis will never be associated with a midwestern league. They want east coast exposure and even if the A-10 losses X, Dayton, Butler they will still have many private schools in east coast cities. Also the A-10 could backfill with other privates on the east coast.

As much as I would like to see the Valley not backfill and just stay at 9 schools I'm sure they will. To me they should try and fill the spot with another non football school since that is what's leaving. Personally as a WSU fan I would like to see another non football public added but when you look at those options (UMKC, UNO, UWM, UIC) they all suck the big one. Loyola, Denver, Oral Roberts, or Belmont would be ok.....I guess. If they went football option NDSU is the only one I would like to see considered, if they weren't located in Canada I would be a much bigger proponent of them.
Haha
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Snaggletooth » January 20th, 2013, 1:57 pm

I think it would be cool if the added STL just because if they do, they will have to move the valley tournament.
Snaggletooth
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Next

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball