Tennessee vs. WSU at Intrust Bank Arena 1pm 12/14 ESPN2

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Tennessee vs. WSU at Intrust Bank Arena 1pm 12/14 ESPN2

Postby Snaggletooth » December 16th, 2013, 6:47 pm

Wufan wrote:
Snaggletooth wrote:
Wufan wrote:
The 2013-14 Shocker team is deeper than most (or all) Valley teams, but not as deep as any of the last three Shocker teams and not as deep as many other top 25 teams.

Point is, as we talk about WSU on a national stage and we see threads talking about WSU in the top 10 and going undefeated, I think that the argument can be made against high rankings and tons of wins (relatively speaking) based on a lack of a deep bench ready to perform at the same level as the starters on a game by game basis.

I looked at 20 of 25 of the Top 25 teams, the average # of players they played any significant minutes was 8 in games this week.

#1 Arizona starters averaged 32.5 minutes, playing 7
#5 MSU starters average 33.4 minutes in their last game

The breakdown was

7 players deep - 7 teams
8 players deep - 6 teams
9 players deep - 7 teams

So you are wrong.

I'm still not talking about minutes. Got it?

If you have points/rebounds/assists off the bench and they show I'm wrong then I will admit it. I'm talking about quality production off the bench. I think we are weak in that area right now.

It is a straw man argument that I'm not going to participate in. WSU starters are as or more productive than last year. So of course the contributions of those coming off the bench is going to be down - but If that your argument go ahead and do some work and post the comparisons if you want.

You need to work on your critical thinking and and not get caught up group think. Perfect example:

Wufan wrote:
3) Early isn't playing well. Early is not living up to the hype of being a pre-season All-American and pre-season MVC POY. His outside shot isn't falling and his shot selection is inconsistent at best. He can get to the rim, but can't finish with contact.

If you look at Early stats compared to last year, in almost all areas they are just as good as last year and some are better. Before you say what FG% and 3pt% - that difference is 3 FG made over these 10 games.

You say his 3pt shot is not falling - falling compared to what? The difference between this year and last year is 1 shot not falling in these first 10 games. The most important thing It has fallen when WSU really needed it.

Only negative is slightly more turnovers. But he is averaging 14.2 ppg in the Shox hardest part of the schedule.

Where I would agree with you is on Early shot selection. I think he has bought into the hype and he thinks he should be putting up all-american numbers and is hurting himself with his shot selection and doing some dumb things at time. And his "fall away" jumper so he doesn't draw contact drive me crazy. Just go up strong and draw the foul at least and eventually you will some of those shot falling.

Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (34.41 KiB) Viewed 1496 times

The only way anybody can be down on him is because they have bought into the pre-season hype. If you have studied player development - the difference in performance from starter from their Junior to Senior year is generally noise. They are what they are.
Snaggletooth
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Wufan » December 16th, 2013, 9:22 pm

I don't think you know what a straw man argument is. My argument is that the bench is not as productive as many other top 25 teams. I have no stats to back that up. I looked for bench stats and couldn't find them. I was hoping someone else might have them. Perhaps I did not frame the argument correctly?

No arguments on Early. I knew all of his stats before you posted them. I am aware, as are you, that he is playing at the same level this year as last. I think many folks expected that some of the silly mistakes he made as a junior would be gone. So far they haven't disappeared, hence the argument that he isn't playing as well as expected. As it is, I disagree with this point of view, but I think it's a reasonable point of contention.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby mvcfan » December 16th, 2013, 11:29 pm

One side is arguing that this year's bench for WSU is not as deep this year as last year(this year 9-last year 10 or 11). The other side is arguing that while Marshall has been successful going to 10 or 11, a bench doesn't have to go that deep to be successful. Marshall could be just as successful with a bench that goes 1 or 2 less. I side with the latter view but both have valid points.
mvcfan
All MVC
All MVC

Postby rlh04d » December 16th, 2013, 11:36 pm

Snaggletooth wrote:The only way anybody can be down on him is because they have bought into the pre-season hype. If you have studied player development - the difference in performance from starter from their Junior to Senior year is generally noise. They are what they are.

Disagreed. The improvement between junior and senior year for most of WSU's JUCO players in recent years has been huge.
rlh04d
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby glm38 » December 17th, 2013, 6:35 am

rlh04d wrote:
Snaggletooth wrote:The only way anybody can be down on him is because they have bought into the pre-season hype. If you have studied player development - the difference in performance from starter from their Junior to Senior year is generally noise. They are what they are.

Disagreed. The improvement between junior and senior year for most of WSU's JUCO players in recent years has been huge.

:+1: Several recent Bears Jucos also showed big improvements in their game between their Jr and Sr years. Riks, Downing, and Gulley.

Early is a very good player. Probably the best wing in the MVC. But he hasn't improved his game as expected. I'd still take him on my team though. :wink:
glm38
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Snaggletooth » December 17th, 2013, 7:02 am

rlh04d wrote:

Actually I'm talking in Basketball as a whole from freshman to Senior progression. Admittedly, I have not looked specifically at JUCO in isolation. I do recall Joe Ragland really getting better between his Junior and Senior year, but I don't really recall anything else that earth shattering with JUCO so feel free to post some WSU comparison of JUCO promenent Junior/Senior years in the program.
Snaggletooth
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Wufan » December 17th, 2013, 7:09 am

Snaggletooth wrote:
rlh04d wrote:

Actually I'm talking in Basketball as a whole from freshman to Senior progression. Admittedly, I have not looked specifically at JUCO in isolation. I do recall Joe Ragland really getting better between his Junior and Senior year, but I don't really recall anything else that earth shattering with JUCO so feel free to post some WSU comparison of JUCO promenent Junior/Senior years in the program.

Joe Ragland is probably the best example. Hall is another, as is Smith.

Junior year:

Ragland - 7 ppg, 2.8 apg, 21 mpg
Smith - 6.7 ppg, 2.2 rpg, 16.5 mpg
Hall - 8.4 ppg, 5.0 ppg, 22.3 mpg

Senior year:

Ragland - 13.4 ppg, 3.3 apg, 27.4 mpg
Smith - 9.8 ppg, 3.2 rpg, 25.4 mpg
Hall - 12.5 ppg, 6.8 rpg, 25.1 mpg

Smith's numbers could be attributed to his increase in minutes, but the other two made huge steps forward even when extra time on the floor is calculated.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby rlh04d » December 17th, 2013, 8:05 pm

Snaggletooth wrote:
rlh04d wrote:

You specifically said junior to senior year in your post.

I've posted a breakdown on Shockernet before about this, and I might grab the numbers later when I'm not on my ipad. But if you look at per minute numbers, nearly every senior in general has improved significantly over their junior year ... Except Orukpe. The Juco guys are even more distinct in their improvement.
rlh04d
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Snaggletooth » December 17th, 2013, 10:59 pm

rlh04d wrote:
I've posted a breakdown on Shockernet before about this, and I might grab the numbers later when I'm not on my ipad. But if you look at per minute numbers, nearly every senior in general has improved significantly over their junior year ... Except Orukpe. The Juco guys are even more distinct in their improvement.

Just looking at Junior to Senior for major player in program, Pts/ per minute yields

Improved
Hall (JC)
D. Will
Gabe Blair
Stutz
Murray
Ragland (JC)
Ellis
Clemente (JC)
Martin
Burns
McFfall (JC)
Mack (JC)
Cousinard (very, very slight improvement)

Regressed
Ben Smith (JC)
Kyles
Griskenas (JC - coming off knee surgery senior year)
Hogg (JC)
Kampman
Howard

Stayed the Same
Orupke
Hannah (JC)
Durley
Bradley (JC)
Miller

Averages for all players in the program.

Capture.JPG
added JC for Hall and Clemente and Miller, Couz
Capture.JPG (26.18 KiB) Viewed 1652 times
Last edited by Snaggletooth on December 18th, 2013, 7:00 am, edited 4 times in total.
Snaggletooth
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby rlh04d » December 17th, 2013, 11:25 pm

Snaggletooth wrote:
rlh04d wrote:

Just looking at Junior to Senior for major player in program, Pts/ per minute yields

Improved
Hall
D. Will
Gabe Blair
Stutz
Murray
Ragland (JC)
Ellis
Clemente
Martin
Burns
McFfall (JC)
Mack (JC)

Regressed
Ben Smith (JC)
Kyles
Griskenas (JC - coming off knee surgery senior year)
Hogg (JC)
Kampman
Howard

Stayed the Same
Orupke
Hannah (JC)
Durley
Bradley (JC)

Averages for all players in the program.

Capture.JPG

Nice post.

You left JC off some of the Juco guys. Off the top of my head, Hall, Clemente, and Blair were all Juco guys.
rlh04d
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball