Previewing next years MVC

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Previewing next years MVC

Postby stl scooter » April 30th, 2014, 5:30 pm

ptownbraves wrote:No way Bradley losing Lemon Jr., Pickett and Prosser and gaining Cunningham, Sutherland, Shaw, etc. will equal them going from 7th place to 9th. The league did not improve that much in the off-season. Sure Lemon Jr. got his points since he was the offense, but as we all know, the reliance on him was also one of the team's biggest detriments. Bradley will be much more well-rounded this coming season. I don't know how anyone can logically argue they will be worse.

I'm going to disagree...I believe that almost every Valley team helped itself this off-season and the league (as a whole) did improve. The 2014 Thursday night teams have added some key recruits.
Loyola lost some depth but has added 6 newcomers highlighted by Marlon Jones and Ben Richardson
Drake lost some experience, but has 5 freshman committed including PFs Schlatter and Kuenstling that should make an impact.
Evansville lost a 'practice' player and added 2 highly touted jucos in Wiley and Stafford.
Bradley...maybe / probably the top recruiting class in the Valley, but don't underestimate the value of having a senior 'star' on the team (see Colt Ryan UE).
The preceding lesson in basketball is free of charge.
stl scooter
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Valleyball » April 30th, 2014, 7:14 pm

Redbird23 wrote:1- Shox
2- Birds
3- Panthers
4- Salukis
5- Bears
6- Ramblers
7- Aces
8- Sycs
9- Braves
10- Dogs

Why are you that high on Loyola and that low on SIU.I will ignore the BU pick since I am prejudice on that. But I think of Loyola as way lower than SIU,ISU or Bradley
Valleyball
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby Mikovio » May 1st, 2014, 8:25 am

I understand the reluctance many will have in picking Bradley high. 7 newcomers is a lot, and despite the highly rated recruits with high major offers, they still haven't proven themselves at the D-I level. Then again they mostly come from top JUCO programs, the Chicago Public League and a top AAU program, so I don't expect their adjustments to take long.

Aw, what the hell. Look out, Wichita. Objects in mirror may be closer than they appear!

1. Wichita State
2. UNI
3. Bradley
4. Missouri State
5. ISU Red
6. SIU
7. Evansville
8. ISU Blue
9. Loyola
10. Drake
Mikovio
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Cdizzle » May 1st, 2014, 8:33 am

Mikovio wrote:Aw, what the hell. Look out, Wichita. Objects in mirror may be closer than they appear!

WSU has 8 newcomers, highly-rated, with high-major offers. Boom! Winning!

But seriously, should be a much more entertaining league race this year. While I won't lie about going 21-0 being utterly awesome and enjoyable, there weren't a lot of quality basketball games being played in the league last year, which is lame.

I think WSU will still hold a talent advantage over the rest of the teams in the league, though I wager that gap has lessened, significantly in some cases. Perhaps the biggest thing going for WSU this year is that they absolutely know how to win, night-in, night-out, something a lot of the upcoming teams still have to figure out.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Mikovio » May 1st, 2014, 8:42 am

Cdizzle wrote:
Mikovio wrote:Aw, what the hell. Look out, Wichita. Objects in mirror may be closer than they appear!

WSU has 8 newcomers, highly-rated, with high-major offers. Boom! Winning!

Damn! Maybe next year!
Mikovio
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Redbird23 » May 1st, 2014, 9:33 am

stl scooter wrote:
ptownbraves wrote:No way Bradley losing Lemon Jr., Pickett and Prosser and gaining Cunningham, Sutherland, Shaw, etc. will equal them going from 7th place to 9th. The league did not improve that much in the off-season. Sure Lemon Jr. got his points since he was the offense, but as we all know, the reliance on him was also one of the team's biggest detriments. Bradley will be much more well-rounded this coming season. I don't know how anyone can logically argue they will be worse.

I'm going to disagree...I believe that almost every Valley team helped itself this off-season and the league (as a whole) did improve. The 2014 Thursday night teams have added some key recruits.
Loyola lost some depth but has added 6 newcomers highlighted by Marlon Jones and Ben Richardson
Drake lost some experience, but has 5 freshman committed including PFs Schlatter and Kuenstling that should make an impact.
Evansville lost a 'practice' player and added 2 highly touted jucos in Wiley and Stafford.
Bradley...maybe / probably the top recruiting class in the Valley, but don't underestimate the value of having a senior 'star' on the team (see Colt Ryan UE).

???????? Nobody improved at all, nobody at all?
Ready for Arch Madness
Redbird23
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Ricardo del Rio » May 1st, 2014, 10:33 am

siudawgs wrote:I like the Trees but I think the above projections are very optimistic. I'd expect them to play Thursday and possibly finish ninth or 10th next year in an improved MVC.

Is Anthony Bean returning?
Ricardo del Rio
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Ricardo del Rio » May 1st, 2014, 10:40 am

Always true.

Get over confident and you will get your butt kicked.

I still remember the Patriots v. Dolphins game of the early 2000s. The game was taken off the board by Vegas. Fins win. Fins win. Fins win.
Ricardo del Rio
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Wufan » May 1st, 2014, 11:05 am

Redbird23 wrote:
stl scooter wrote:

???????? Nobody improved at all, nobody at all?

I think UNI returns their top 8 or something, so I imagine they will be improved despite a shallow (in #, not rating) recruiting class.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby siudawgs » May 1st, 2014, 11:15 am

Ricardo del Rio wrote:
siudawgs wrote:I like the Trees but I think the above projections are very optimistic. I'd expect them to play Thursday and possibly finish ninth or 10th next year in an improved MVC.

Is Anthony Bean returning?

So far, so good. Not out of the woods, though.
siudawgs
MVC starter
MVC starter

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball