College Sports Madness Top 144 Preview

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: College Sports Madness Top 144 Preview

Postby glm38 » August 21st, 2014, 3:44 pm

jaybydna wrote:
glm38 wrote:Jaybydna I watched CU quite a bit last year. I just thought the Jays underclassmen were very underwhelming. And I'm not convinced of the elder McD's coaching abilities at all. This year should be interesting for your team.

No doubt we take a step back this year. Like I said, mid-eighties is about right. I think you are wrong about the elder McD, and so do some national experts, but you are entitled to your opinion. The guy knows how to put together an offense based on his personnel. Recruiting was my concern, but not anymore. The teams we have lost to in the NCAA (NC, Duke, Baylor) have been long and athletic, and now we are catching up in that respect.

You expect a team to take a step back after losing a player like Doug McD. How far CU falls this year will say a lot about your program and your coach.
glm38
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby mvcfan » August 21st, 2014, 4:20 pm

saluki762 wrote:A certain fanbase post's ooze envy or insecurity. I can't really tell which

I showed them more respect than they show anyone in our league but I won't grovel in their dirt and kiss their ass like you will.
mvcfan
All MVC
All MVC

Postby saluki762 » August 21st, 2014, 4:29 pm

mvcfan wrote:
saluki762 wrote:A certain fanbase post's ooze envy or insecurity. I can't really tell which

I showed them more respect than they show anyone in our league but I won't grovel in their dirt and kiss their ass like you will.

There is only one fan board in the MVC that has a large amount of Creighton discussion and fans that feel the need to go to Creighton boards and point out that their ranking is lower than SIU in this poll.

I'll give you a hint, it isn't Loyola.
B=====D ( )
B=====D ( )
B=====D ( )
B=====D ( )
saluki762
All MVC
All MVC

Postby saluki762 » August 21st, 2014, 4:29 pm

mvcfan wrote:

There is only one fan board in the MVC that has a large amount of Creighton discussion and fans that feel the need to go to Creighton boards and point out that their ranking is lower than SIU in this poll.

I'll give you a hint, it isn't Loyola.
B=====D ( )
B=====D ( )
B=====D ( )
B=====D ( )
saluki762
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Championz » August 21st, 2014, 5:23 pm

Man, Saluki fan. You seem more insulted by all of this than the Creighton lurkers here.
Championz
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Turner » August 22nd, 2014, 8:25 am

What's so very comical about this is we're fighting about some irrelevant and almost random listing of teams months before the season starts. Creighton takes a step back this year no doubt. Long term, they will be just fine.
Turner
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby rlh04d » August 24th, 2014, 5:42 pm

We're crying ourselves to sleep, buried in a blanket of massive national success.
rlh04d
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby rlh04d » August 24th, 2014, 5:51 pm

glm38 wrote:I don't think any sane person would argue that at this point Loyola for CU is an even swap. BUT I see CU trending way way down. Just my opinion but I don't think they will be top 100 this year. And possibly not for several years. It's just unfathomable to me that they never made a tourney run with a player like McD and some decent talent around him.

Absolutely. They had the best player in Creighton basketball history, with a good supporting cast ... and on top of that the best player in Creighton history had the coach paying his tuition so an 8th year senior could get yet another year on the court. And they were blown out by 30 to the 6th place B12 team. Who in turn were blown out by 17 in their next game.

I have no respect for McD as a coach after that performance.
rlh04d
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Aargh » August 25th, 2014, 6:39 am

Envy? WSU was a long-term top 5 team last year, has a recent F4, a not-too-distant S16, is a pre-season top-10 pick, and had (and will again have) multiple AA's on the roster. CU has nothing that we can envy on their resume.

Insecurity? WSU has been in this position before and appears to be maintaining its' status year-to-year right now. There's not much for WSU fans to be insecure about.

CU, on the other hand, couldn't make a S16 with a NPoY and a Sr.-dominated team. They've dropped from a top-20 team to a pre-season top-100 team in one year. It's CU fans who should be (and have every reason to be) insecure.

Some WSU fans are just trying to help them understand that. We don't want them to get their expectations too high and then be disappointed.
Aargh
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby PantherSigEp » August 25th, 2014, 10:32 am

...any other MVC teams pop up recently? Where are they currently at in the order?
[Insert snappy comeback]
PantherSigEp
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball