Next Coach for SIU?

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Next Coach for SIU?

Postby PantherSigEp » January 11th, 2015, 3:40 pm

This is all fine and dandy but most of this heated conversation stemmed from the troll saying that Lowery should come back. That's just idiotic.
[Insert snappy comeback]
PantherSigEp
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby rlh04d » January 11th, 2015, 6:15 pm

bleach wrote:Wanting Barry gone and being glad he's gone is not hate. I read post after post on here about how foolish teams are that accept mediocrity, brag about it, or are excited by beating horrible teams. The Bears fans that wanted Barry gone knew we would never be where we were with Spoon, Alford, or even Martin if Barry stayed. The same is true now with Lusk.

What Alford and Martin accomplished in 3 years was more than Barry produced in 9. If we should just be content with not being horrible then SIU should keep Barry forever. If not then it was more than time for Barry to go and SIU should expect no better.

Like I said, that's not what I mean. I completely respect teams that gamble getting rid of a coach producing successful results because they aren't capable of moving forward. I think Nebraska did the same thing this season in football and I respect it. Although I do think Nebraska has a much more realistic hope of higher results than MoSt does.

I just don't see the point of continually taking shots at the guy. Particularly when he was a good coach who had some good teams that should have made the NCAA tournament, ran the program with class, and had a very high floor (albeit a low ceiling as well).
rlh04d
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby rlh04d » January 11th, 2015, 6:17 pm

PantherSigEp wrote:This is all fine and dandy but most of this heated conversation stemmed from the troll saying that Lowery should come back. That's just idiotic.

I thought we had just decided that was Lowery or his son?

No sane person would ever want Lowery back.
rlh04d
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby rlh04d » January 11th, 2015, 6:20 pm

glm38 wrote:I think most times when a coach leaves involuntarily or for a better job there some in the fan base that have some animosity isn't there? I think I've seen some snide comments lobbed at Turgeon on Shockernet. Different circumstances of the coach leaving but it still illustrates the point because there's really no reason for that either but I doubt it reflects the opinion of the majority of Shocker fans.

I think drawing a correlation between a guy that was forced out and a guy that essentially stated that he had done all he could "at this level" and left for a B12 team, while leaving the cupboard completely bare and taking recruits with him to his new school, is a massive reach.

There is nothing to be mad at Barry for. There are clearly things that WSU fans can dislike Turgeon for, even while thanking him for turning the program around and building the foundation for what Marshall has been able to do. Turgeon left the program in bad shape.
rlh04d
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby glm38 » January 11th, 2015, 6:31 pm

rlh04d wrote:
glm38 wrote:I think most times when a coach leaves involuntarily or for a better job there some in the fan base that have some animosity isn't there? I think I've seen some snide comments lobbed at Turgeon on Shockernet. Different circumstances of the coach leaving but it still illustrates the point because there's really no reason for that either but I doubt it reflects the opinion of the majority of Shocker fans.

I think drawing a correlation between a guy that was forced out and a guy that essentially stated that he had done all he could "at this level" and left for a B12 team, while leaving the cupboard completely bare and taking recruits with him to his new school, is a massive reach.

There is nothing to be mad at Barry for. There are clearly things that WSU fans can dislike Turgeon for, even while thanking him for turning the program around and building the foundation for what Marshall has been able to do. Turgeon left the program in bad shape.

Did you read the first part of my post? I live in Spfld, go to all of the home games and I can assure you MOST Bears fans have no animosity towards Hinson.
glm38
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby rlh04d » January 11th, 2015, 6:32 pm

glm38 wrote:Did you read the first part of my post? I live in Spfld, go to all of the home games and I can assure you MOST Bears fans have no animosity towards Hinson.

Of course I read the first part. I didn't respond to it because I agreed with it.

I responded to the part I disagreed with. I don't understand what there is for the minority part of the fanbase you're discussing to dislike him for, and your explanation at the end doesn't change that. Arguing that there is some dislike for him the same way there is for Turgeon, when Barry was forced out and Turgeon willingly left, doesn't make any sense.
rlh04d
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby glm38 » January 11th, 2015, 7:20 pm

rlh04d wrote:
glm38 wrote:Did you read the first part of my post? I live in Spfld, go to all of the home games and I can assure you MOST Bears fans have no animosity towards Hinson.

Of course I read the first part. I didn't respond to it because I agreed with it.

I responded to the part I disagreed with. I don't understand what there is for the minority part of the fanbase you're discussing to dislike him for, and your explanation at the end doesn't change that. Arguing that there is some dislike for him the same way there is for Turgeon, when Barry was forced out and Turgeon willingly left, doesn't make any sense.

My mistake then regarding your agreement. The 2nd part was a bit of a reach in the comparison. But the point I was trying to make is that practically anytime a coach leaves for whatever reason there are going to be some hard feelings by at least a few fans. I hardly think MSU is unique in that. In the case of MSU those few are just very vocal.
glm38
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby bleach » January 12th, 2015, 3:53 am

Barry left Mo St in bad shape! All we had was a undeveloped Weems.
bleach
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Play Angry » January 20th, 2015, 12:55 pm

Valley_Fan wrote:
Play Angry wrote:
Valley_Fan wrote:Considering what Creighton has done this year, I don't think we will see McDermott in the Valley for a while.

Yes, that projected final RPI in the high 80s should merit a serious raise and extension.

Considering where you thought they would be.....yes

Bump.
Play Angry
All MVC
All MVC

Postby rlh04d » January 20th, 2015, 12:57 pm

Play Angry wrote:
Bump.

I bet that projected final RPI in the high 80s sure sounds good to Creighton fans right now.

Current RPIForecast projection: 162.5
rlh04d
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball