Birds to NIT

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Birds to NIT

Postby mathewson10 » March 24th, 2015, 9:21 am

Play Angry wrote:
mathewson10 wrote:As many of us know its a little harder to beat teams on their home floor (ie WSU @ UNI)

Indeed. That's what makes WSU's 22-2 road record these last two seasons so remarkable.

Such a run requires a level of mental toughness that Dan Muller should aspire for his squad to mimic every second of every day.

Wow awfully defensive.... I was just pointing out that the last time these teams played was on a neutral court. This time it was at ODU (undefeated at home). Even the best teams have a greater likelihood of losing on the road.
mathewson10
MVC starter
MVC starter

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby mathewson10 » March 24th, 2015, 9:24 am

ilstubirds250 wrote:That may have been the worst game we've played all season minus @SIU...blah.

ODU played amazing defense last night. They really scouted us well. One of the better defensive opponents we have played all season. ISUr never really got into a rhythm.
mathewson10
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Play Angry » March 24th, 2015, 9:35 am

mathewson10 wrote:
Play Angry wrote:
mathewson10 wrote:As many of us know its a little harder to beat teams on their home floor (ie WSU @ UNI)

Indeed. That's what makes WSU's 22-2 road record these last two seasons so remarkable.

Such a run requires a level of mental toughness that Dan Muller should aspire for his squad to mimic every second of every day.

Wow awfully defensive.... I was just pointing out that the last time these teams played was on a neutral court. This time it was at ODU (undefeated at home). Even the best teams have a greater likelihood of losing on the road.

No defensiveness at all. Maybe you read too much into the response to your example.
Play Angry
All MVC
All MVC

Postby mathewson10 » March 24th, 2015, 9:54 am

Play Angry wrote:
No defensiveness at all. Maybe you read too much into the response to your example.

Seems pretty defensive when this is a ISUr thread & the you start talking about WSU records & coaching staff. I was simply using an example of a team capable of beating another team but having a lesser likelihood because of home floor advantage. :huh:
mathewson10
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Play Angry » March 24th, 2015, 10:28 am

mathewson10 wrote:
Play Angry wrote:

Seems pretty defensive when this is a ISUr thread & the you start talking about WSU records & coaching staff. I was simply using an example of a team capable of beating another team but having a lesser likelihood because of home floor advantage. :huh:

And I was just responding to your example regarding that very team, with a tie in to ISUr. Seems like it has a nice bow on it and happy to explain the relevance to you.
Play Angry
All MVC
All MVC

Postby mathewson10 » March 24th, 2015, 10:30 am

Play Angry wrote:
mathewson10 wrote:
Play Angry wrote:

And I was just responding to your example regarding that very team, with a tie in to ISUr. Seems like it has a nice bow on it and happy to explain the relevance to you.

Muahaha Playing Angry is playing angry.... I understand what you are saying but just don't agree with your thinking.
mathewson10
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Play Angry » March 24th, 2015, 10:38 am

mathewson10 wrote:
Play Angry wrote:
mathewson10 wrote:

Muahaha Playing Angry is playing angry.... I understand what you are saying but just don't agree with your thinking.

You disagree that ISUr should strive for the mental toughness required to go 22-2 on the road over two seasons? :huh:

That doesn't seem logical. You must be getting emotional, or even, defensive.
Play Angry
All MVC
All MVC

Postby mathewson10 » March 24th, 2015, 11:38 am

Play Angry wrote:You disagree that ISUr should strive for the mental toughness required to go 22-2 on the road over two seasons? :huh:

That doesn't seem logical. You must be getting emotional, or even, defensive.

I'll leave those for you.
mathewson10
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Play Angry » March 24th, 2015, 11:53 am

You got me, I really flew off the handle in this thread.

To cure matthewson10's derailment- nice season ISUr. You have some nice pieces heading into next season and hopefully can build on this season's success. Finding consistency will obviously be the key since athleticism and talent are not in question. Hopefully you guys can end the drought and finally get back to the dance in 2016.

Which newcomers are expected to contribute immediately for next year's squad?
Play Angry
All MVC
All MVC

Postby jwa123 » March 24th, 2015, 12:23 pm

Play angry, I don't always agree with you but on this you are right on target. Last nights game was just another example of what has been a common theme all season. As I posted earlier, there are good Redbirds and there are bad Redbirds and we never know which one of the two teams is going to show up. I don't know if this is due to the youth of the team or what but whatever the reason is they don't play mentally tough or angry, if you will, game in and game out.

As for new pieces to the puzzle for next year, I'm not sure. Four new freshman are coming in including a 7 footer who is as thin as a rail post. Another in-coming player is sort of like MiKyle McIntosh but more skilled but has been inconsistent his senior year. It seems some games he wants to play and others he seems to be disinterested. When he comes to play he is dominate in one of the tougher western suburb conferences of Chicago. I will hold my breath on him but he could be a stud in the MVC if he puts his mind to it. There is an incoming freshman shooting guard who some think is the real deal and others say he is coming as a package deal with the 7 footer. The other incoming freshman player is a point guard who seems to be highly regarded.

Rumors are at least one and maybe more will be leaving at the end of the semester. Must be some truth to it as the coaching staff is out recruiting 2015 high school players and there are no current open roster spots.

I know there are a lot of folks around these parts who express displeasure with Dan Muller but he has raised the talent level while here. He and his staff seem to be capable recruiters. The other thing he has done has raised the level of non-conference opponents as opposed to what Jank did. There was a time when folks grumbled about scheduling of Valley teams and the Redbirds in particular with the cupcake schedules that Jank put together. If not mistaken, I think ISUr had the toughest non-conference schedule in the league this past season based upon RPI.

Finally, congratulations to WSU for making the sweet sixteen. Here is hoping another trip to the final 4 for you and your brethren.
jwa123
MVC starter
MVC starter

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball