UNI inks Jake to new 10 yr deal

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: UNI inks Jake to new 10 yr deal

Postby Khan4Cats » December 16th, 2015, 12:43 pm

Cdizzle wrote:
Championz wrote:And if Tony says no, then what?

Then Wisconsin will still be about 10 choices away from getting to Jacobson on their list.

I don't know about 10, but he is not likely at the top.

It certainly is a concern for UNI fans as it is upper midwest, the style is similar to what Ben has run at UNI and Bo is a mentor to both Ben and McDermott. As for the 2 choice clause, my understanding is that is turned in on January 1st of each year, so not yet.

Have also, naturally, seen Marshall's name tossed out there by Badger fans but that is far less likely than Jacobson as everything I've read has Marshall's small range of interest being south and east of Wichita, not anywhere near the frozen lakes of Madison.

No real idea which way they'll go. Gard will get his chance to show what he can do, then we'll see. A lot of possibles have moved just recently like Shaka Smart (from Madison), Wardle and the guy from North Dakota State coach Saul Phillips.
Khan4Cats
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby shocktheheart » December 16th, 2015, 1:33 pm

Khan4Cats wrote:
Cdizzle wrote:
Championz wrote:And if Tony says no, then what?

Then Wisconsin will still be about 10 choices away from getting to Jacobson on their list.

I don't know about 10, but he is not likely at the top.

It certainly is a concern for UNI fans as it is upper midwest, the style is similar to what Ben has run at UNI and Bo is a mentor to both Ben and McDermott. As for the 2 choice clause, my understanding is that is turned in on January 1st of each year, so not yet.

Have also, naturally, seen Marshall's name tossed out there by Badger fans but that is far less likely than Jacobson as everything I've read has Marshall's small range of interest being south and east of Wichita, not anywhere near the frozen lakes of Madison.

No real idea which way they'll go. Gard will get his chance to show what he can do, then we'll see. A lot of possibles have moved just recently like Shaka Smart (from Madison), Wardle and the guy from North Dakota State coach Saul Phillips.

I don't think Marshall would be interested just due to the fact that Wisconsin is too cold for him. If it was in the south, it would be interesting to see if Wisconsin would spark his interest. Is it enough of a "blue blood" of a program to get Marshall to leave?
“I’m gonna punch you in the ovary, that’s what I’m gonna do. A straight shot, right to the babymaker.”
shocktheheart
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Talk_Angry » December 20th, 2015, 6:03 pm

Thought you may be interested. Gary Parrish, CBS Sports, came on our podcast last week and said it's pretty likely that Ben Jacobson leaves for Wisconsin. Here's the show.

http://www.talkangry.net/podcasts/s3e10/
Talk_Angry
MVC Walk On
MVC Walk On

Postby pafan » December 20th, 2015, 9:40 pm

MVCfans wrote:I wondered how long it would take to find this thread. Tony Bennett is the favorite if he wants the job, but I have seen Ben's name mentioned by a couple of national writers on twitter.

Well, at least one fellow from Wisconsin suggested Marty Simmons.

The Tweet

:huh: (Also: I found out about this from "@NotMartySimmons", so this might be an elaborate troll)
sad Evansville alum
pafan
MVC Valued Member
MVC Valued Member

Postby Wufan » December 21st, 2015, 6:35 am

With Jacobson's consistently successful track record, and back-to-back top 25 seasons, this talk won't go away.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby uniftw » December 21st, 2015, 9:36 am

It sounds like he'd be a good hire but the big names behind the scenes at Wisconsin want Gaard, Bennett or a BIG name.

Jake is on the list, but a ways down. Doesn't seem to bring a lot of excitement to the big names out there.

Could happen, but right now I'm not too overly worried.
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby tribecalledquest » December 25th, 2015, 7:58 pm

Wisconsin and Minnesota are the two schools on the 1M buyout short list for Jacobsen.
tribecalledquest
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby BCPanther » December 26th, 2015, 3:41 pm

tribecalledquest wrote:Wisconsin and Minnesota are the two schools on the 1M buyout short list for Jacobsen.

False. Jake has ZERO interest in the Minnesota job.

He'll have interest in Wisconsin if they have interest in him. It's become pretty well known around UNI that Michigan State is the dream job
BCPanther
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Ricardo del Rio » December 26th, 2015, 5:48 pm

BCPanther wrote:
tribecalledquest wrote:Wisconsin and Minnesota are the two schools on the 1M buyout short list for Jacobsen.

False. Jake has ZERO interest in the Minnesota job.

He'll have interest in Wisconsin if they have interest in him. It's become pretty well known around UNI that Michigan State is the dream job

Following a six time Coach of the Year, Coach Izzo, would not be easy.
Ricardo del Rio
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby glm38 » December 27th, 2015, 10:48 am

For the good of the Valley I hope they bypass him. BUT I can't imagine they won't consider Jake. I think he can coach with anyone and would be a pretty good fit at Wisconsin.

He seems to love UNI though. Should be interesting.
glm38
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball