One bid league?

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: One bid league?

Postby Ali » February 29th, 2016, 1:40 pm

Palm might be an idiot or he might just be looking at the cold hard facts. WSU has one win over a tournament team. One. And several "bad' losses. Why have the Shockers done to warrant a better seed?
Ali
All MVC
All MVC

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby SubGod22 » February 29th, 2016, 2:05 pm

You forget the injury factor that is taken into account. And we all know past results will play a part when it comes to selecting teams. Wichita is good there too. Since Fred's return we've been pretty damn good and I don't think we actually have any "bad" losses. I believe a bad loss is RPI 150+. UNI hasn't fallen that far have they? Gonna say that the average margin of victory being 15 for the season isn't too bad either. It does show some dominance.

The KenPoms and BPIs of the world really like us as well. I think our lowest computer ranking of the 6 or so that are used at all is the RPI and even that puts us in OK shape. Plus, we're not playing in a vacuum and there have been a ton of losses by other teams that might be in the same range as us that will help make us look more favorable. Especially considering the injuries we suffered which led to the early losses.

There's a reason that Lunardi, who I'm not a huge fan of but he can be relatively close, has us currently as a 7 which is solidly in the tournament.

They also won't overlook the way we've been playing down the stretch here. We are in.
www.wheatshockers.com

Government does not solve problems; it subsidizes them.

The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help.

Unemployment insurance is a prepaid vacation for freeloaders.
SubGod22
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Rollbird5 » February 29th, 2016, 2:13 pm

To add to the above, they pass the eye test. You can have all these metric system and stats and the works but to put it simply they pass the eye test and look like a solid top 30 NCAA team. Shockers look a lot better than many other teams iv watched. Also the reputation that they've built up with all the recent success these past years doesn't go unnoticed by the selection committee
Rollbird5
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Stickboy46 » March 1st, 2016, 10:06 am

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/bubblewatch

WSU moved into "lock" status today by ESPN. That's before any of the Arch Madness games.
Stickboy46
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Wufan » March 1st, 2016, 6:15 pm

Ali wrote:Palm might be an idiot or he might just be looking at the cold hard facts. WSU has one win over a tournament team. One. And several "bad' losses. Why have the Shockers done to warrant a better seed?

Actually, WSU has one win over a top 10 RPI team. They lost five games away from home to teams with an RPI between 20 and 60 (four of those were without a healthy Fred). WSU has no bad losses, but two losses to MVC teams hovering around 100 in the RPI...Expected to be 17-1 against teams with an RPI above 100 (thank you Evansville and UNI for being in the 90s).
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby MVCfans » March 5th, 2016, 5:09 pm

Nope. Valley will have 2 dancing this year.
MVCfans
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby PantherSigEp » March 5th, 2016, 5:11 pm

MVCfans wrote:Nope. Valley will have 2 dancing this year.

I really, really, really hope that is true.
[Insert snappy comeback]
PantherSigEp
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby bigdawg » March 5th, 2016, 6:17 pm

Lots of sweating in Wichita this week:

WICHITA STATE: L 57-52 (OT) vs. Northern Iowa
Record: 24-9, 16-3 MVC | RPI: 38 | Strength of schedule: 107

The Shockers fell to UNI for the second time this season 57-52 in overtime in the semifinals of the Missouri Valley conference tournament. Wichita State has one moment of glory this season – a home win over Utah. That is their only win against a team in the top 75 of the RPI. Their at-large chances are slim-to-none, and if this wasn't a team with a recent Final Four run and undefeated regular season, I doubt we'd be talking about them at all.
bigdawg
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Stickboy46 » March 5th, 2016, 6:25 pm

Lunardi said WSU is still in. I tend to think he's a little better. Palm has admitted to ignoring factors that the committee actually uses.
Stickboy46
All MVC
All MVC

Postby bigdawg » March 5th, 2016, 6:26 pm

Neither of their opinions matter. I think they'll make it but it's going to be close.
bigdawg
All MVC
All MVC

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball