One bid league?

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: One bid league?

Postby Bluejay09Bear06 » March 7th, 2016, 1:35 pm

UNIFanSince1983 wrote:If you notice, though, Lunardi still doesn't have UNI in. So he must have completely missed Arch Madness.

He does now. He has UNI as a 14 seed vs. Indiana. Shockers as a 7 seed.
Bluejay09Bear06
MVC starter
MVC starter

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby UNIFanSince1983 » March 7th, 2016, 1:40 pm

Bluejay09Bear06 wrote:
UNIFanSince1983 wrote:If you notice, though, Lunardi still doesn't have UNI in. So he must have completely missed Arch Madness.

He does now. He has UNI as a 14 seed vs. Indiana. Shockers as a 7 seed.

Oh I see. Yeah 7 for WSU does seem ambitious still.

The 14 for UNI is disappointing, but being in Des Moines would be really sweet.
UNIFanSince1983
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Bluejay09Bear06 » March 7th, 2016, 2:09 pm

UNIFanSince1983 wrote:Oh I see. Yeah 7 for WSU does seem ambitious still.

The 14 for UNI is disappointing, but being in Des Moines would be really sweet.

Agree on both counts. I see WSU making the field as an 8/9, maybe 10. With their signature wins (WSU x2, Iowa St, UNC) I bet UNI is a 12 or 13, even though they weren't really near the bubble before St. Louis.

In many ways UNI and Wichita are in opposite circumstances. Wichita has some good computer numbers but no jaw-dropping wins. UNI is just the reverse.
Bluejay09Bear06
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby bleach » March 7th, 2016, 5:18 pm

If you look at UNIs wins they are about a 7 seed. If you look at their losses they are about a 14 seed. I think they end up 11 or 12.
WSU will probably be an 8 or 9 or out.
bleach
All MVC
All MVC

Postby shocktheheart » March 8th, 2016, 1:43 pm

Per UNI beat writer UNI is now on par with WSU.

Andrew Logue ‏@AndrewMLogue 13h13 hours ago

UNI on par with WSU after Washpun's shot .... http://www.desmoinesregister.com/sto...ight/81449620/

https://twitter.com/AndrewMLogue/sta...64838879518720
“I’m gonna punch you in the ovary, that’s what I’m gonna do. A straight shot, right to the babymaker.”
shocktheheart
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby uniftw » March 8th, 2016, 3:02 pm

shocktheheart wrote:Per UNI beat writer UNI is now on par with WSU.

Andrew Logue ‏@AndrewMLogue 13h13 hours ago

UNI on par with WSU after Washpun's shot .... http://www.desmoinesregister.com/sto...ight/81449620/

https://twitter.com/AndrewMLogue/sta...64838879518720

Well, UNI is 2-1 vs WSU this year. 1-1 the year before...so 3-2 during your junior and senior years for your 2 All American guards...
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby unipanther99 » March 8th, 2016, 3:29 pm

I read it this morning and it wasn't that over the top. The story mostly focuses on UNI and WSU being consistently good the past 13 years. It said WSU has a "tiebreaker" with it's run to the final four. Hard to argue with that.
unipanther99
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby shocktheheart » March 8th, 2016, 3:53 pm

unipanther99 wrote:I read it this morning and it wasn't that over the top. The story mostly focuses on UNI and WSU being consistently good the past 13 years. It said WSU has a "tiebreaker" with it's run to the final four. Hard to argue with that.

Not saying it is over the top, but saying the teams are on par with each other is pretty misleading. WSU the last three years have won the regular season title each year, final four, undefeated regular season, and sweet sixteen. UNI can't compare with that in their history of Division One basketball.
“I’m gonna punch you in the ovary, that’s what I’m gonna do. A straight shot, right to the babymaker.”
shocktheheart
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby shocktheheart » March 8th, 2016, 3:55 pm

shocktheheart wrote:
unipanther99 wrote:I read it this morning and it wasn't that over the top. The story mostly focuses on UNI and WSU being consistently good the past 13 years. It said WSU has a "tiebreaker" with it's run to the final four. Hard to argue with that.

Not saying it is over the top, but saying the teams are on par with each other is pretty misleading. WSU the last four years have won the regular season title three out of four years, final four, undefeated regular season, and sweet sixteen, and is still in discussion for a bid this year. UNI can't compare with that in their history of Division One basketball. The best run in a row for UNI in the tourney is three years in a row in which they lost the first game each year(04-06).
shocktheheart
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby unipanther99 » March 8th, 2016, 4:37 pm

Where are you even seeing the "on par with WSU" stuff? The headline on the DMR website is "Wes Washpun, UNI earn spotlight with tournament return."

Another quote from the article:

It’s a sweet situation for the Panthers, who have been overshadowed by the Shockers for much of the past five seasons.

“They deserved that,” Washpun said of the attention given to Wichita State. “They put in the time and they’re a very talented basketball team. “It’s hard to get recognition as a mid-major, but we do our darnedest to try and let people know we’re a pretty good basketball team as well.”
unipanther99
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball