Championship sunday

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Championship sunday

Postby uniftw » March 8th, 2016, 9:27 am

BirdsEyeView wrote:
shockem wrote:UNI beat UE the same way they beat WSU. Only difference is that Marty should've seen it coming. UNI swarmed all over Baker and VanVleet the same way they swarmed Ballentine and Mock. They took the chance that the other guys couldn't beat them and they came out on top both times. Both coaches should have had more plays designed for the "other guys". Hindsight is 20/20 and hats off to UNI.

Jaylon Brown had 18 points, 5 rebounds, 3 assists in the Championship game.

I would say another player contributed, especially during the comeback. I agree with some UE fans, if that jumper doesn't fall and UE wins in OT, this is a totally different discussion. I thought Marty made some good 2nd half adjustments and Jaylon Brown really stepped up for them. I didn't think Mock was very good, so the two UE guards stepped it up in the 2nd half (Balentine and Brown).

Felt bad for UE, that was their shot at the NCAAs
Brown did step up, but we could easily play the what if game for UNI as well. What if Wes doesn't miss two free throws with about 2 minutes left in the game. What if Matty and Paul weren't ice cold and combined for 4 points? What if Jaylon Brown doesn't play the best 20 minutes of basketball in his life?
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby ShoxINDST » March 8th, 2016, 9:47 am

I think UE with the talent they have could of been a at large if they had a descent non- con. Someone there should of built a tougher schedule. I know seeing them come to Terre haute has always been a killer. I respect there players. Marty shouldve play Brozja more then his son
ShoxINDST
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby acesfool » March 8th, 2016, 4:53 pm

tribecalledquest wrote:I don't care how many times Washpun shoots that shot. He does not make it a "high percentage" of the time. It was a guarded, falling back, 18 footer. He is a 31% three point shooter. The shot was about two to three feet in front of the line. That is not a high percentage shot. Not for Michael Jordan and certainly not for Wes Washpun.

It was a big play with a fortunate bounce. That's part of sports. Luck matters. Evansville didn't mess up on that last play. UNI had the ball last and a play was made. That's it.

I bet Wes shoots that shot at over 50% easily. You can't allow the other teams best player to go one on one from the top of the key in that situation. You bring the double team and force a pass and a second pass with proper defensive rotation. That forces the third or fourth option to beat you from the corner.
acesfool
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby acesfool » March 8th, 2016, 5:01 pm

ShoxINDST wrote:I think UE with the talent they have could of been a at large if they had a descent non- con. Someone there should of built a tougher schedule. I know seeing them come to Terre haute has always been a killer. I respect there players. Marty shouldve play Brozja more then his son

We could have at least had a schedule that gave us a chance at an atlarge bid. However, I saw nothing that would indicate that we would have beaten any top 50 teams.
acesfool
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby ACECARD » March 8th, 2016, 7:52 pm

acesfool wrote:
ShoxINDST wrote:I think UE with the talent they have could of been a at large if they had a descent non- con. Someone there should of built a tougher schedule. I know seeing them come to Terre haute has always been a killer. I respect there players. Marty shouldve play Brozja more then his son

We could have at least had a schedule that gave us a chance at an atlarge bid. However, I saw nothing that would indicate that we would have beaten any top 50 teams.

i would have to agree.
ACECARD
All MVC
All MVC

Postby UEACES80 » March 10th, 2016, 4:47 pm

[quote][We could have at least had a schedule that gave us a chance at an atlarge bid. However, I saw nothing that would indicate that we would have beaten any top 50 teams./quote]

I tend agree as UE lost at Arkansas as they simply had more athletic ability and that one 3 pt shooter was unbelievable. UE played well against Providence and still lost by 10.

Maybe UE can try to schedule Ball State, Butler and Valpo or a more regular basis.

I've always been intrigued with an Indiana pre season tourney with these six teams every year Ball State / IUPUI / IUPUFW / Valpo / UE and Indy State (in separate brackets to only meet in a championship)
Then have Indiana and Purdue (every other year) as well as Butler / Notre Dame (every other year).

I just think it would be a cool tournament that could allow for all teams to get 3 games in with reasonable travel costs. Butler / IU / ND / Purdue could host every fourth year.
UEACES80
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby E-Villan » March 10th, 2016, 5:20 pm

UEACES80 wrote:
[We could have at least had a schedule that gave us a chance at an atlarge bid. However, I saw nothing that would indicate that we would have beaten any top 50 teams./quote]

Maybe UE can try to schedule Ball State, Butler and Valpo or a more regular basis.

I've always been intrigued with an Indiana pre season tourney with these six teams every year Ball State / IUPUI / IUPUFW / Valpo / UE and Indy State (in separate brackets to only meet in a championship)
Then have Indiana and Purdue (every other year) as well as Butler / Notre Dame (every other year).

I just think it would be a cool tournament that could allow for all teams to get 3 games in with reasonable travel costs. Butler / IU / ND / Purdue could host every fourth year.

I like the idea, but Butler does not get equal footing in the state with IU and Purdue. UE and Butler were each other longest rivals, going back over 100 years. When UE moved to the Valley from the MCC, they made sure Butler remained on the OOC schedule every year. When Butler got into the Big East, UE was dropped immediately. WIth that in mind, I don't see them resuming the series. Screw them.

You can have the Indiana tournament at Conseco every year, conference mates, such as IU-Purdue, UE-ISU in different brackets. No need to designate a host school.
E-Villan
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby UEACES80 » March 11th, 2016, 11:15 am

I also thought of Conseco but price of it might or might not be a factor. The Big 3 (IU / ND & PU) as well Butler right now would need incentive to participate and that is why I suggested them hosting.

Another thought would be to simply:
Play in a preseason tournament (3) where we get 3 games guaranteed and likely 1 will be versus a Power Conference team.
Schedule annually (6) -- APSU / Ball State / Murray State / SLU / Valpo / WKU
Wildcard (2) -- Mix in 2 of the following annually Belmont / EIU / IUPUI / IUPUFW / SEMO / UT-Martin
Mt West Challenge game (1)

If BU / IU / ND / PU are willing to schedule home and away great if not I don't think we should chase them too hard.

Listed above are a 3 game tournament + 6 games annual + plus 2 wildcard games + Mt West Challenge Game and the 18 game MVC that only leaves one game on a 31 game schedule to offer up against any Power Conference Team that will schedule us be it the 4 Indiana schools / Louisville / UK / Illinois / Dayton / Xavier / Cincy / tOSU / Missouri all are reasonable bus rides - heck even DePaul / NIU / Maimi (Ohio) just not SWAC teams.
UEACES80
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby BirdsEyeView » March 11th, 2016, 11:44 am

UE Fans -

Did you know their is a Bracketology for NIT?

http://bracketmatrix.com/nit

6 seed currently.
BirdsEyeView
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Ricardo del Rio » March 12th, 2016, 11:01 am

BirdsEyeView wrote:UE Fans -

Did you know their is a Bracketology for NIT?

http://bracketmatrix.com/nit

6 seed currently.

That was ugly. I hope I never go there again.
Ricardo del Rio
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball