Evansville department-wide scheduling philosophy?

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Evansville department-wide scheduling philosophy?

Postby Rollbird5 » April 15th, 2016, 9:35 am

Evansville playing @Louisville for season opener, just a year too late
Rollbird5
All MVC
All MVC

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby uniftw » April 15th, 2016, 9:46 am

Rollbird5 wrote:Evansville playing @Louisville for season opener, just a year too late

Marty figures he's got a s*** team that won't have an expectations or win much so why not schedule tough for once...
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby havoc » April 15th, 2016, 11:56 am

uniftw wrote:
Rollbird5 wrote:Evansville playing @Louisville for season opener, just a year too late

Marty figures he's got a s*** team that won't have an expectations or win much so why not schedule tough for once...

Its inconvenient that it doesn't fit your narrative, but UE has played UNC (x3), IU (x3), and Notre Dame since Marty's been the coach. This is hardly a new thing.

Typically there are always a few top 25 caliber teams on the schedule. The problem comes from the back end.
havoc
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby uniftw » April 15th, 2016, 12:09 pm

havoc wrote:
uniftw wrote:

Its inconvenient that it doesn't fit your narrative, but UE has played UNC (x3), IU (x3), and Notre Dame since Marty's been the coach. This is hardly a new thing.

Typically there are always a few top 25 caliber teams on the schedule. The problem comes from the back end.

UNC is the same set up that UNI has. It's because a senior on the team was from that area and UNC picked someone they want to be able to beat up - bit them in the ass with UNI.

So what about the rest of the OOC in those years?

In 9 years of Marty they are playing, on average, less than 1 name program per year based on what you posted. How many SWAC/MEAC/Patriot/NEC type teams are they playing?
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby havoc » April 15th, 2016, 12:22 pm

uniftw wrote: UNC is the same set up that UNI has. It's because a senior on the team was from that area and UNC picked someone they want to be able to beat up - bit them in the ass with UNI.

So what about the rest of the OOC in those years?

In 9 years of Marty they are playing, on average, less than 1 name program per year based on what you posted. How many SWAC/MEAC/Patriot/NEC type teams are they playing?

I'm not arguing the fact Marty doesn't load up on +275 RPI schools to finish out the schedule. Had you bothered to read the second sentence of my post you would see where I said as much.
havoc
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby UEACES80 » April 15th, 2016, 3:00 pm

Just for grins I thought I would throw out the fact that Murray State historically isn't a pushover and especially from 2009-2010 thru 2014-2015 as they were 158-43 over that period. 26+ wins average a season over those six years - yummy nice cupcake there that UE scheduled.

I do agree that 4 SWAC type teams is excessive as it should never be more than 2 of those type teams but I am not backing off the statement that if UE had beaten UNI or WSU just once I think they were a NIT team. More than non-conf scheduling UE simply didn't win the MVC game or games that they needed. I just don't see where a win (used some teams that are fairly regional to UE within apprx 200 miles) vs Miami (OH) or St Louis Univ would have helped enough, They still lost the 4 key MVC games that would have been a boast to them in the eyes of the NIT committee.
UEACES80
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby BirdsEyeView » April 15th, 2016, 3:17 pm

UEACES80 wrote:Just for grins I thought I would throw out the fact that Murray State historically isn't a pushover and especially from 2009-2010 thru 2014-2015 as they were 158-43 over that period. 26+ wins average a season over those six years - yummy nice cupcake there that UE scheduled.

I do agree that 4 SWAC type teams is excessive as it should never be more than 2 of those type teams but I am not backing off the statement that if UE had beaten UNI or WSU just once I think they were a NIT team. More than non-conf scheduling UE simply didn't win the MVC game or games that they needed. I just don't see where a win (used some teams that are fairly regional to UE within apprx 200 miles) vs Miami (OH) or St Louis Univ would have helped enough, They still lost the 4 key MVC games that would have been a boast to them in the eyes of the NIT committee.

You keep talking NIT, regardless of beating WSU 1x or not to get into the NIT, your goal should have been make the NCAAs in Mock and DJ senior year.

The NonCon schedule completely ruined any chance of that unless you won Arch Madness.

Your priorities are in the wrong place.
BirdsEyeView
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby UEACES80 » April 15th, 2016, 3:40 pm

I don't appreciate :roll: being told where my priorities should be / you don't me know me and I don't know you.

I would think all Aces fans (I know I did) had hoped to make the NCAA this year with the best team we have had for quite awhile. But after the losses to WSU and UNI it came down to win the MVC Tourney or face the realism of hoping for the NIT.
UEACES80
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby acesfool » April 15th, 2016, 7:32 pm

I will be in Vegas to bet this one.
acesfool
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby SubGod22 » April 16th, 2016, 10:56 am

UEACES80 wrote:

I don't appreciate :roll: being told where my priorities should be / you don't me know me and I don't know you.

I would think all Aces fans (I know I did) had hoped to make the NCAA this year with the best team we have had for quite awhile. But after the losses to WSU and UNI it came down to win the MVC Tourney or face the realism of hoping for the NIT.

Post season resumes are built in the non-con in the MVC. If you're relying on a couple specific conference results just to maybe squeak into the NIT, you're doing it wrong.
www.wheatshockers.com

Government does not solve problems; it subsidizes them.

The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help.

Unemployment insurance is a prepaid vacation for freeloaders.
SubGod22
All MVC
All MVC

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball