Report: Wichita State has contacted Mountain West

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Report: Wichita State has contacted Mountain West

Postby unipanther99 » June 8th, 2016, 7:50 am

I obviously want WSU to stay, but why on earth would you expect the MVFC to bend over backwards changing schedules, possibly having to create divisions, etc. just to make room for a team that obviously wouldn't be there in 3-4 years?

Have all schools sign a 10 year agreement with a multi-million dollar buyout, and I'd support it. But there's no way WSU would agree to that.
unipanther99
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Dean Wormer » June 8th, 2016, 10:04 am

Veritas wrote:
Red wrote:I don't know what precipitated the comment, but MVC football commissioner said today that they wouldn't accept Wichita State as a football member because Bardo stated the plan was to have an FBS team and the MVFC won't be a stepping stone.

By the way, any new news out of Wichita lately on this?

It reads to me she wants Wichita State out. Coupled with WSU not hosting any championships next year indicates the MoVal is forcing WSU out of the Valley.

You have to ask yourself. Are you better with WSU or without? Pretty easy decision once you take prepubescent emotions out of the equation.

I will answer your second question first so you know I am not just a WSU hater. There is no question the Valley would suffer without WSU. In fact, I think they may actually be the only glue holding this thing together. I would bet on a private/public split within 5 years if WSU left.

With that said, I am certain that WSU not hosting any championships next year is nothing more than WSU isn't hosting any championships next year. It looks like Bradley, Indiana State, and Drake aren't as well. Are all (4) being shoved out? Does it even matter? Other than baseball, does hosting these non-revenue championships mean a damn thing to anyone not directly involved? Off the top of your head, can you name the last (3) tennis hosts?

WSU has earned the right to kick some tires. I don't begrudge that at all. I also applaud the MVFC for standing up and saying they don't want anyone who publicly says they are planning to be beyond that in a short period. Both parties should look out for their best interests, and that is all that appears to be going on.
Dean Wormer
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby SubGod22 » June 8th, 2016, 10:17 am

I've said from the beginning that we shouldn't join the MVFC even if we could, which I've doubted anyway. We just need to be an independent and do what we need to do to build the program and move on. I have no doubt that some of the MVC schools would still schedule football games against Wichita because I think we actually have good relationships with a few of them.

But the goal of Wichita football should absolutely be FBS if we're going to bring it back. How long it takes to get an invite is the question, but it's still without a doubt the goal that should be aimed for.

The view from the MVFC doesn't surprise me, but I was a little surprised she said it the way she did. But I'm also not surprised that the MVC has issues with teams that strive for excellence and trying to better their University.

If we have to wait for the next conference shakeups to happen, that gives us probably around 5 years or so to do what we need to do and get what we need to get in place. Nobody is saying we'll be a top FCS team in 5 years, but if we're building facilities and building the program it can open the right doors as the other sports will at least play a small role in things. At some point, spots will open up and Wichita needs to be as prepared as they can be for when that time comes. I'd say the same for any other MVC teams that might consider a jump.
www.wheatshockers.com

Government does not solve problems; it subsidizes them.

The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help.

Unemployment insurance is a prepaid vacation for freeloaders.
SubGod22
All MVC
All MVC

Postby tribecalledquest » June 8th, 2016, 1:52 pm

SubGod22 wrote:
The view from the MVFC doesn't surprise me, but I was a little surprised she said it the way she did. But I'm also not surprised that the MVC has issues with teams that strive for excellence and trying to better their University.

Did she really say that? Has anyone with the MVC ever said such a goofy thing? Come on.
tribecalledquest
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby BirdsEyeView » June 8th, 2016, 2:19 pm

tribecalledquest wrote:
SubGod22 wrote:

Did she really say that? Has anyone with the MVC ever said such a goofy thing? Come on.

Elitist attitude/perception from a Shox fan. As if no other school (not team as you originally said) in the Valley is striving for excellence...we are all pawns for the Shockers in all sports whose only job is to watch them excel. :roll:
BirdsEyeView
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Cdizzle » June 8th, 2016, 3:01 pm

BirdsEyeView wrote:
tribecalledquest wrote:
SubGod22 wrote:

Elitist attitude/perception from a Shox fan. As if no other school (not team as you originally said) in the Valley is striving for excellence...we are all pawns for the Shockers in all sports whose only job is to watch them excel. :roll:

http://www.mvc-sports.com/news/archives ... 1iHAdkrJph
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby PantherSigEp » June 8th, 2016, 3:18 pm

If WSU football comes to fruition then they have made their goals clear and I fully support them for aiming for the FBS. If that's the best move for the university then that's absolutely what they need to do. But I don't think others should be expected to inconvenience themselves in the process just so that the WSU football team has a temporary home. And by all accounts and comments regarding this issue it's pretty clear that it would be temporary.

The MVFC is the elite FCS conference right now and likely will be for quite some time if the current makeup stays in place. For the past few years it's ranked above nearly all of the G5 conferences as well in the Sagarin rankings (slightly behind the American/former Big East, Mountain West and MAC). I know it seems strange on a variety of levels, but despite Patty V having an administrative role in the MVC, her role in the MVFC is, in theory, completely separate. Please keep that in mind when looking at this situation.

In it's current standing and statements WSU football does not offer the conference much value to offset the headaches that were stated previously. I don't think it's fair to think that conference "affiliations" (remember, they're "separate") are enough for the MVFC to bend over backwards for a short-term member. I don't think any of the comments could be construed as a slight against WSU trying to build a football program and "better itself". In what ways does WSU "better" the MVFC?
[Insert snappy comeback]
PantherSigEp
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby uniftw » June 8th, 2016, 3:31 pm

The MVFC in no way needs WSU.

NDSU has won 5 straight titles
Illinois State has been a top 5 team the last two years
Those two played in the title game in 2014 - only time in history one conference has had both title spots
The MVFC had 5 teams in the top 15 of the final AnyGivenSaturday Poll last season
The MVFC has the #1 and #3 teams, another at #8 and a total 4 teams in the top 11 of the preseason Athlon poll and 6 in the top 25
MVFC has more playoff wins as a conference than any other conference the last decade or so
Since the start of the 2010 season the MVFC is 117-32 vs the rest of the FCS - that's a 78.6% win %
The MVFC is to the FCS as the SEC is to the FBS right now and it's not really that close to any other conference.

The fact that WSU only wants to sit there for the 2 or 3 year probationary period is a complete non starter. They add zero to the conference in any fashion. I'm glad Patty V told WSU to "shove it" when it comes to the MVFC if they aren't willing to commit to the long term health of the MVFC - and in turn the MVC as the MVC members (and MVC) would be impacted quite negatively should anything happen to the MVFC.
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby SubGod22 » June 8th, 2016, 3:46 pm

Again, most in Shocker Nation have had zero desire or want to be in the MVFC. We don't need it should football return. The only thing that's caused a stir is how she said it, which was with complete disrespect towards Wichita.

And as far as the dope that got quoted, I never said Wichita is the only one striving for excellence, just that the MVC doesn't push for it as a whole.
www.wheatshockers.com

Government does not solve problems; it subsidizes them.

The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help.

Unemployment insurance is a prepaid vacation for freeloaders.
SubGod22
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Snaggletooth » June 8th, 2016, 5:33 pm

PantherSigEp wrote:
The MVFC is the elite FCS conference right now

:dance: "MVFC" and "elite" in the same sentence. Thanks for the laughs....
Snaggletooth
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball