After an exciting month of Missouri Valley Conference basketball, we are at the turn and heading toward the back nine. Tonight we will give you our updated power rankings and tomorrow we will hand out our mid-season awards.
Below is our updated MVC Power Rankings after nine MVC games.
MVC Power Rankings
1) Wichita State (19-2, 8-1) – Picked fourth in the preseason poll, the Shockers have a shot at a Top 4 NCAA seed.
2) Creighton (18-3, 7-2) - Doug McDermott has the inside track to the national player of the year award.
3) Indiana State (13-7, 6-3) - Sycamores have a Top 50 RPI and a huge win over Miami Fl, but there’s little (or no) room for error the rest of the way if they want to play in the NCAA tournament.
4) Evansville (12-9, 5-4) – Aces have dropped three out of four since defeating Wichita State. Can Colt Ryan will this team to a top 3 finish?
5) Northern Iowa (11-10, 4-5) - Despite the stunning heartbreaker in Terre Haute, I am convinced UNI is better than their 4-5 MVC mark indicates.
6) Illinois State (12-9, 3-6) – After a head-scratching 0-6 start in Valley play, ISU has three straight wins and looks to be an upper division team.
7) Bradley (12-9. 4-5) - Braves get this spot based on their 69-66 win over Missouri State earlier this month. I guess I have to overlook the 34 point loss at WSU.
8 ) Missouri State (6-15, 4-5) - Paul Lusk started four freshman in the Bears’ win over Drake on Sunday. The future is now for MSU.
9) Drake (9-11, 3-6) - Is the real Drake team the one that upset Creighton on Wednesday or lost to Missouri St on Sunday? My guess is somewhere in between.
10) Southern Illinois (8-12, 1-8) - After a surprisingly strong non-conference performance, this SIU team is exactly where virtually evetyone predicted them to be.
You can discuss this and more on the MVCfans.com Message Board
Discuss this post on the MVCFans Message Board!