Salukis Land another...

A place to discuss tomorrow's MVC stars.

Re: Salukis Land another...

Postby Salukimadness86 » June 2nd, 2019, 9:25 pm

tribecalledquest wrote:
Salukimadness86 wrote:
Dawgbit wrote:And another, Malik William from Clemson. Top 200 player in HS, Injured all of last year. Forward, 6-8, 226 lbs. Bryan Mullins & Co. are getting it done.

Beat me to it Dawgbit. This kid could really make a difference in the Valley, if he can stay healthy.
Was a ESPN 4 star, Rivals 3 out of high school. Mullins continues to get work done. I'm actually excited about Saluki hoops again!

MVC fans never cease to amaze me. They hate being "disrespected" by the BCS level schools and feel MVC schools are closer to them in talent than people think.

Yet when a BCS transfer comes to an MVC school after being an end of bench guy we are suddenly all fired up about how good he is going to be in the Valley.

I have no idea if Bryan Mullins will do well or not. But every single coach SIU would have hired would also be getting players at this stage and "getting work done".

I was responding to another Saluki fan, not you or anyone else on this board. Did I say this transfer would be all MVC, or lead SIU to the final four? I said he could make a difference in a conference that is considerably weaker than it was ten years ago IF he can stay healthy. Saluki fans, boosters, and alumni have an absolute right to be excited about one of the best hires SIU, and for that matter the MVC has made in a while. After the garbage coach SIU was stuck with the last seven years, it's refreshing to see a coach with an actual work ethic. The players Mullins and staff have gotten in two months show more potential than the former coach ever got in 7 years as head coach. Exciting times ahead for Saluki Hoops. Jump on the bandwagon tribe, there's plenty of room, but not for long. :) Go Dawgs!
#makesalukihoopsgreatagain
Salukimadness86
All MVC
All MVC

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby BEARZ77 » June 3rd, 2019, 6:12 am

I'd say both views have their point. Clearly Saluki fans have a right to be excited just as Bear, Ace, and Bulldog fans were last year. And new recruits generally create excitement as they all are about potential which is boundless until they play a bit. But at the same time pretty universally, fans will always say the new coach is recruiting better, practices are harder and more intense, the energy around the program is the best it's been in ages, etc. etc. It's the fan version of "coach speak", just noise in the air until games actually get played. And to say Mullins is one of the "best hires " the MVC has made in a while when you're talking about a totally unproven commodity just invites the eye roll at this stage of the game.

I like the hire, to me it was a no-brainer for SIU, but it doesn't mean it will be a great hire; most aren't in the long run. Mullins is doing what Ford, Devries, and Mac all did , which is scrambling to fill a roster while being as visible as possible in his community . Nothing unique there, pretty much basic job description, and his recruits are a similar grouping of some nice adds and some reaches. It's what you do that first year.
I hope SIU is very successful under Mullins, the Valley needs SIU to be a viable program and Mullins is a Valley guy.
The Bear is the largest carnivore on the North American continent; beware the Bear!
BEARZ77
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Salukimadness86 » June 3rd, 2019, 6:45 am

BEARZ77 wrote:I'd say both views have their point. Clearly Saluki fans have a right to be excited just as Bear, Ace, and Bulldog fans were last year. And new recruits generally create excitement as they all are about potential which is boundless until they play a bit. But at the same time pretty universally, fans will always say the new coach is recruiting better, practices are harder and more intense, the energy around the program is the best it's been in ages, etc. etc. It's the fan version of "coach speak", just noise in the air until games actually get played. And to say Mullins is one of the "best hires " the MVC has made in a while when you're talking about a totally unproven commodity just invites the eye roll at this stage of the game.

I like the hire, to me it was a no-brainer for SIU, but it doesn't mean it will be a great hire; most aren't in the long run. Mullins is doing what Ford, Devries, and Mac all did , which is scrambling to fill a roster while being as visible as possible in his community . Nothing unique there, pretty much basic job description, and his recruits are a similar grouping of some nice adds and some reaches. It's what you do that first year.
I hope SIU is very successful under Mullins, the Valley needs SIU to be a viable program and Mullins is a Valley guy.

Agree with most of your post. Mullins has yet to coach a game as a HC in the MVC, so yes he is unproven. Ford and Devries will be gone in a couple of years IMO unlike Mullins who is building a program with class balance. Considering SIU lost six seniors, this staff has done well. Again, I'm comparing to the former staff, and it's like night and day.
Yes, the Valley and Arch Madness needs SIU to be relevant again. Plain and simple.
Salukimadness86
All MVC
All MVC

Postby tribecalledquest » June 3rd, 2019, 12:47 pm

Salukimadness86 wrote:
BEARZ77 wrote:I'd say both views have their point. Clearly Saluki fans have a right to be excited just as Bear, Ace, and Bulldog fans were last year. And new recruits generally create excitement as they all are about potential which is boundless until they play a bit. But at the same time pretty universally, fans will always say the new coach is recruiting better, practices are harder and more intense, the energy around the program is the best it's been in ages, etc. etc. It's the fan version of "coach speak", just noise in the air until games actually get played. And to say Mullins is one of the "best hires " the MVC has made in a while when you're talking about a totally unproven commodity just invites the eye roll at this stage of the game.

Agree with most of your post. Mullins has yet to coach a game as a HC in the MVC, so yes he is unproven. Ford and Devries will be gone in a couple of years IMO unlike Mullins who is building a program with class balance. Considering SIU lost six seniors, this staff has done well. Again, I'm comparing to the former staff, and it's like night and day.
Yes, the Valley and Arch Madness needs SIU to be relevant again. Plain and simple.

In the time Bryan Mullins has been at SIU what has he done that Barry Hinson and staff wouldn't have done? I am 100% certain Barry would have all 13 scholarships filled by the time the school year starts in August - the same as Mullins will do.

Making this about "work ethic" is ridiculous. Especially when Mullins has been there like two months.

I understand everyone gets excited over new coaches, recruits, etc. Bryan Mullins/SIU won't be the first and won't be the last. I wasn't a Barry Hinson lover but making it sound like he didn't work hard enough is a cheap shot.
tribecalledquest
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Salukimadness86 » June 3rd, 2019, 5:47 pm

tribecalledquest wrote:
Salukimadness86 wrote:

In the time Bryan Mullins has been at SIU what has he done that Barry Hinson and staff wouldn't have done? I am 100% certain Barry would have all 13 scholarships filled by the time the school year starts in August - the same as Mullins will do.

Making this about "work ethic" is ridiculous. Especially when Mullins has been there like two months.

I understand everyone gets excited over new coaches, recruits, etc. Bryan Mullins/SIU won't be the first and won't be the last. I wasn't a Barry Hinson lover but making it sound like he didn't work hard enough is a cheap shot.

Mullins and staff have Saluki fans excited about the future. Something Hinson could not do in SEVEN YEARS. Barry I'm sure is a swell guy, he just happened to be an average coach who never improved much over the years. Ask anybody close to Saluki athletics about his recruiting efforts, and I'm sure it'll be "nuff said". word
Salukimadness86
All MVC
All MVC

Postby siudawgs » June 3rd, 2019, 7:42 pm

tribecalledquest wrote:
Salukimadness86 wrote:

You're off base on this. Mullins already has signed a Mr. Basketball from Wisconsin (Domask) and a kid who averaged 10 ppg as a freshman at a D-I program (Harvey), plus four other recruits who all appear to have some significant upside. He already is recruiting at a higher level than Hinson did with very little time on the job, and the volume of on-campus visits has gone way up.

If you're trying to argue that Barry Hinson was as good or as energetic of a recruiter as Mullins is, you're going to look pretty foolish, sooner than later.
siudawgs
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby tribecalledquest » June 3rd, 2019, 9:35 pm

Salukimadness86 wrote:Mullins and staff have Saluki fans excited about the future. Something Hinson could not do in SEVEN YEARS. Barry I'm sure is a swell guy, he just happened to be an average coach who never improved much over the years. Ask anybody close to Saluki athletics about his recruiting efforts, and I'm sure it'll be "nuff said". word

You didn't think Armon Fletcher, Kavion Pippen and Anthony Beane were good players?

Of course the fans are excited for the future. That's par for the course with a new coach. That's fine. But let's not act like Barry just sat around and did nothing. That's a cheap shot.
tribecalledquest
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby tribecalledquest » June 3rd, 2019, 9:43 pm

siudawgs wrote:You're off base on this. Mullins already has signed a Mr. Basketball from Wisconsin (Domask) and a kid who averaged 10 ppg as a freshman at a D-I program (Harvey), plus four other recruits who all appear to have some significant upside. He already is recruiting at a higher level than Hinson did with very little time on the job, and the volume of on-campus visits has gone way up.

If you're trying to argue that Barry Hinson was as good or as energetic of a recruiter as Mullins is, you're going to look pretty foolish, sooner than later.

Marcus Domask was committed to Northern Kentucky before the coaching change. He wasn't offered by Marquette or Wisconsin or any BCS level school. I personally think he will be a good MVC player but he wasn't some BCS steal. Harvey played for an awful EIU team. It wasn't like Mullins went to Charleston and ripped him away from all the big dogs who wanted him.

Armon Fletcher was a second team all league guy two years in a row. Kavion Pippen was third team two years in a row. Sean O'Brien was a second team guy. Anthony Beane made the first team in 2016 when Barry was coach of the year.

Barry didn't get the job done in the end. However, you would think he finished 9th every year with a bunch of D2 level scrubs they way SIU fans are now rewriting history about his ability to recruit. Quit acting like SIU had no talent under HInson. It's ridiculous.
tribecalledquest
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby siudawgs » June 3rd, 2019, 10:10 pm

tribecalledquest wrote:
siudawgs wrote:You're off base on this. Mullins already has signed a Mr. Basketball from Wisconsin (Domask) and a kid who averaged 10 ppg as a freshman at a D-I program (Harvey), plus four other recruits who all appear to have some significant upside. He already is recruiting at a higher level than Hinson did with very little time on the job, and the volume of on-campus visits has gone way up.

Marcus Domask was committed to Northern Kentucky before the coaching change. He wasn't offered by Marquette or Wisconsin or any BCS level school. I personally think he will be a good MVC player but he wasn't some BCS steal. Harvey played for an awful EIU team. It wasn't like Mullins went to Charleston and ripped him away from all the big dogs who wanted him.

Armon Fletcher was a second team all league guy two years in a row. Kavion Pippen was third team two years in a row. Sean O'Brien was a second team guy. Anthony Beane made the first team in 2016 when Barry was coach of the year.

Barry didn't get the job done in the end. However, you would think he finished 9th every year with a bunch of D2 level scrubs they way SIU fans are now rewriting history about his ability to recruit. Quit acting like SIU had no talent under HInson. It's ridiculous.
tribecalledquest wrote:

In seven years at Southern, Hinson’s two most talented players were Desmar Jackson (inherited from Lowery) and Anthony Beane (son of an assistant coach).

Hinson was a mediocre recruiter, to be charitable. Mullins won’t be.
siudawgs
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby tribecalledquest » June 4th, 2019, 8:43 am

I wish all the teams could be so lucky and have a two time second teamer like Armon Fletcher and a two time third teamer like Kavion Pippen not be considered a really good recruit/player for our program.

I know everyone is giving Mullins huge kudos for getting Marcus Domask - as if that is some kind of big time recruiting coup because he was Mr. Basketball in Wisconsin. I will say again, I think Domask will be a good MVC player. Reminds me of Sean O'Brien (who must have been garbage because Barry recruited him) so maybe that's not a good thing.

Here is the list of schools who offered Domask: Northern Kentucky (original commitment), Indiana State, Wright State, American, Milwaukee, Green Bay, Bucknell, Air Force, Western Michigan, Akron, Elon, Idaho State, and Montana State.

One more time - I like Marcus Domask. I really think he was underrecruited and will be a good MVC player. But let's not act like Bryan went up to Waupun and schooled Louisville, Marquette and Creighton for the dude.

I love how some fans downgrade Anthony Beane because he was the son of an assistant but its cool if Bryan Mullins taps into the Illinois Wolves AAU program that his dad runs.
tribecalledquest
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to MVC Basketball Recruiting