Arch Madness seeding probabilities

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Arch Madness seeding probabilities

Postby CaliJay » February 16th, 2012, 10:09 am

Duan wrote:I don't really like how this is sorting out for Creighton. There is a strong possibility of CU have 3 of the 4 teams that beat them on their side of the bracket (MSU, UNI, and Evansville). ILST and UNI both losing this week is not what I wanted to see. However, I think that the 7 seed is going to be pretty tough no matter what (or at least compared to the 7 seed in previous years).

Look for UNI to win their last two games and stay out of Thursday. Either way, I agree that the 7 seed will be more dangerous than probably ever before. That being said, they play at 8:35 PM the night before, that could be a pretty late night and a short turn-around against a fresh team. Very tough for play-in teams to beat the top two seeds.
CaliJay
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby havoc » February 16th, 2012, 10:19 am

CaliJay wrote:Look for UNI to win their last two games and stay out of Thursday. Either way, I agree that the 7 seed will be more dangerous than probably ever before. That being said, they play at 8:35 PM the night before, that could be a pretty late night and a short turn-around against a fresh team. Very tough for play-in teams to beat the top two seeds.

I see Drake, Illinois State, and UE all splitting their remaining games and UNI winning out for a 4 way tie for 4th with all teams being 3-3 against each other. I believe non-con SOS would put the seedings as

4. UNI
5. UE
6. Drake
7. Illinois State
havoc
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby ShockValue » February 16th, 2012, 11:50 am

Would love to see Drake and Illinois St as the 4-5 game. Things look very favorable for WSU at the moment.
ShockValue
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby BirdmanBB » February 16th, 2012, 11:58 am

havoc wrote:
CaliJay wrote:Look for UNI to win their last two games and stay out of Thursday. Either way, I agree that the 7 seed will be more dangerous than probably ever before. That being said, they play at 8:35 PM the night before, that could be a pretty late night and a short turn-around against a fresh team. Very tough for play-in teams to beat the top two seeds.

I see Drake, Illinois State, and UE all splitting their remaining games and UNI winning out for a 4 way tie for 4th with all teams being 3-3 against each other. I believe non-con SOS would put the seedings as

4. UNI
5. UE
6. Drake
7. Illinois State

If ISU goes from potentially 3rd place with a couple weeks left to 7th because of non-con SOS I think our fanbase is going to explode and demand Janks head. No thursday team has ever won the valley tourney, but on the bright side we would get a nice warmup against Bradley.
BirdmanBB
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Red » February 17th, 2012, 1:36 pm

ShockValue wrote:Would love to see Drake and Illinois St as the 4-5 game. Things look very favorable for WSU at the moment.

I'm guessing everyone wants to avoid the 4-5 game with Wichita State waiting. I'd like to us to be the 6 and beat Missouri State for the third time with Creighton or UNI up next.
Red
All MVC
All MVC

Postby MSUBear42 » February 17th, 2012, 7:26 pm

Red wrote:
ShockValue wrote:Would love to see Drake and Illinois St as the 4-5 game. Things look very favorable for WSU at the moment.

I'm guessing everyone wants to avoid the 4-5 game with Wichita State waiting. I'd like to us to be the 6 and beat Missouri State for the third time with Creighton or UNI up next.

We obviously don't want to see ILSU, but I doubt we would lose a 3rd
MSUBear42
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby MVCfans » February 21st, 2012, 11:07 pm

Just the one game tonight. The updated probabilities for Arch Madness have been posted:

link: The MVC Report - Arch Madness Seeding Probabilities
MVCfans
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby Moose39 » February 21st, 2012, 11:35 pm

Can you explain the difference between the first and second percentage chart?
Moose39
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby MSUDuo » February 21st, 2012, 11:55 pm

Moose39 wrote:Can you explain the difference between the first and second percentage chart?

The first is using pure whole numbers. So, out of 512 different scenarios remaining, WSU has 512 chances to finish 1st; or 100% (which is down in the 2nd graph)

MSU has 326 chances out of 512 to finish 3rd, or a 64% chance

How that helped
MSUDuo
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby Moose39 » February 22nd, 2012, 12:04 am

MSUDuo wrote:
Moose39 wrote:Can you explain the difference between the first and second percentage chart?

The first is using pure whole numbers. So, out of 512 different scenarios remaining, WSU has 512 chances to finish 1st; or 100% (which is down in the 2nd graph)

MSU has 326 chances out of 512 to finish 3rd, or a 64% chance

How that helped

I mean I see four graphs. Two of which have percentages for seeding probability. Like the first one has MSU at 64% of finishing third. I get that one. But the bottom one?
Moose39
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball