Question to MVC beat writers: Who would they hire as coach?

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Question to MVC beat writers: Who would they hire as coa

Postby MVCfans » July 19th, 2012, 5:26 pm

And the full report... Still waiting on many responses, but things have been slow so I figured I may as well post what I have.

link: The MVC Report - Which MVC coach would you hire if you were an AD?
MVCfans
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Jet915 » July 19th, 2012, 6:13 pm

MVCfans wrote:And the full report... Still waiting on many responses, but things have been slow so I figured I may as well post what I have.

Yeah, I'm surprised by those responses from the writers. I would also choose Jacobson number 1 based on his accomplishments and lack of strong institutional support compared to what Marshall and McDermott get.
Jet915
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Khan4Cats » July 19th, 2012, 7:02 pm

MVCfans wrote:And the full report... Still waiting on many responses, but things have been slow so I figured I may as well post what I have.

Emmert actually covers both UNI and Drake so he probably didn't feel he could vote for either Phelps or Jacobson, so it really is only Hefferman who didn't put Jacobson on his list of the ones you got back.
Khan4Cats
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby LMS » July 20th, 2012, 1:43 pm

It would be interesting to see what Jake could do at a school with unlimited resources.
LMS
All MVC
All MVC

Postby uniftw » July 20th, 2012, 3:55 pm

LMS wrote:It would be interesting to see what Jake could do at a school with unlimited resources.

Jake with a basketball budget of Creighton or WSU would likely be damn near unstoppable.
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby agrinut » July 21st, 2012, 7:22 am

uniftw wrote:
LMS wrote:It would be interesting to see what Jake could do at a school with unlimited resources.

Jake with a basketball budget of Creighton or WSU would likely be damn near unstoppable.

Until he was fired for trying to play womens basketball in the men's league ;)
agrinut
All MVC
All MVC

Postby DoubleJayAlum » July 21st, 2012, 8:56 am

uniftw wrote:

Jake would need to adapt his style to make the style of play more appealing than watching paint dry. 4,000 in attendance doesn't cut it at WSU/Creighton; it costs you your job.
DoubleJayAlum
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby uniftw » July 21st, 2012, 10:08 am

DoubleJayAlum wrote:
uniftw wrote:

Jake would need to adapt his style to make the style of play more appealing than watching paint dry. 4,000 in attendance doesn't cut it at WSU/Creighton; it costs you your job.

Winning would draw at WSU or CU....no matter how many points were scored.
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby glm38 » July 21st, 2012, 1:23 pm

Yeah I disagree too that Jake's coaching style has anything to do with the attendance. I thought that team that won the MVC and went to the sweet 16 was pretty darned entertaining. That's a team that would have drawn big crowds most places.

One of the best coaches in MSU's history had a similar coaching style to Jake. Charlie Spoonhour. He had some critics for sure. But he had a lot more admirers and attendance was great when he was our coach because he won so regularly.
glm38
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby CBB_Fan » July 22nd, 2012, 12:37 pm

glm38 wrote:Yeah I disagree too that Jake's coaching style has anything to do with the attendance. I thought that team that won the MVC and went to the sweet 16 was pretty darned entertaining. That's a team that would have drawn big crowds most places.

One of the best coaches in MSU's history had a similar coaching style to Jake. Charlie Spoonhour. He had some critics for sure. But he had a lot more admirers and attendance was great when he was our coach because he won so regularly.

I agree. Wichita and Creighton especially would fill the stands for any coach that could win the MVC and get to the Sweet 16.
CBB_Fan
MVC starter
MVC starter

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball